584,808 active members*
4,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Water cooled against air cooling

Question Water cooled against air cooling

Hi All, just wondering if a water cooled spindle can be run with out water and if so how long ??
    Thanks ...stevep

Re: Water cooled against air cooling

Quote Originally Posted by STEPHENPRESCOTT View Post
    Hi All, just wondering if a water cooled spindle can be run with out water and if so how long ??
    Thanks ...stevep
    I would DEFINITELY not run a water cooled spindle without water. A water cooled spindle has no fan, so if you run it there will be no cooling at all. It is a closed motor and would pretty fast become too hot. How long it will take to generate smoke... who knows... depends on the motor... but will definitely be fried pretty fast, that's my guess.

Thread title is wrong. This is not about air cooling vs. water cooling, it is about water cooling or no cooling.

It would not take long to have a melt down. Think of a car engine or outboard motor. Those don't work very well once water is taken away.
    Lee

Generally, I would say that any more than a few seconds would be catastrophic.
    However.

If you search for the thread here on the Big Bamboo machine, you'll see a water cooled spindle running with no water. The spindle is inside the dust collection hose, and is cooled by the airflow from the dust collector. I believe he's been running it for several years like that.

Personally, if you don't want to use water, buy an air cooled spindle. Your chance of it lasting are a LOT better.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Generally, I would say that any more than a few seconds would be catastrophic.
    However.

If you search for the thread here on the Big Bamboo machine, you'll see a water cooled spindle running with no water. The spindle is inside the dust collection hose, and is cooled by the airflow from the dust collector. I believe he's been running it for several years like that.

Personally, if you don't want to use water, buy an air cooled spindle. Your chance of it lasting are a LOT better.
    Thanks for all of your Info guys.......now I know
    Stevep