I am a pretty traditional windows user, and followed the path all the way from DOS 1.0 to Win 7 Pro. Along the way, I used various word processors, and over the years ended up with MS office up until 2003.

I didn't like the office 2007 banner approach, so I stayed with 2003 until my daughter introduced me to LibreOffice. Since it works on Linux / Mac and Win, I tried it, and have been using it now for about 2 years.

After MS introduced Win 8, I could kind of see the writing on the wall, that MS was going to increasingly push toward approaches that I might not care for all that much, and the big Win 10 push convinced me that it was time to make another shift. It might be ok for some people, but I can't imagine letting someone change my OS just when I am getting ready to go on a business trip, or have some other critical deadline.

After watching some youtube videos, reading, and some testing, I am now using Linux Mint (Mate interface in you are curious).

It behaves very much like Win 7 Pro, and getting it delivered to me, with a ton of S/W was less than $10.

My business needs are perhaps more simple than some others, but so far it is rock solid, and I can load it on as many computers as I want. Savings compared to buying a new copy of Windows + Office for a spare computer I have with no OS discs is close to $600.

I used 1/2 of the savings to buy an SSD, which made my boot time 15 seconds vs 90. It is like a new computer.

Anyone else tried it ?