584,866 active members*
5,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

BootstrapCNC Router Plans

Hi all,

I have been working on releasing a set of plans for a 2x2 Moving table or Flying Gantry design for a while now and I am finally to the point where I can release them.

bootstrapcnc.com

Please take a look if your interested, any suggestions or feedback is welcome.

Thanks,
    grumpygeek

Re: BootstrapCNC Router Plans

Just an FYI.

Updated the plans to increase Z axis travel from 4 to 6 inches to allow for some flexibility in router placement and bit lengths.

bootstrapcnc.com

The adjustable linear rail is ingenious Grumpy!!

Thanks, I think it works well. I thought it would be easier to get the small assembly of the bearings accurate rather then the longer rails. Not the first to do this, just the first to do it with skate bearings I think. Using the bolts for spacing came after I found using wedges (shims) to set the spacing was a pain and had to make several attempts to get the rail tension right, it is much easier now.

I can see something similar working with the Rockcliff Model D...like so...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RockcliffModelDMod.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	308920

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygeek View Post
    Thanks, I think it works well. I thought it would be easier to get the small assembly of the bearings accurate rather then the longer rails. Not the first to do this, just the first to do it with skate bearings I think. Using the bolts for spacing came after I found using wedges (shims) to set the spacing was a pain and had to make several attempts to get the rail tension right, it is much easier now.

I was thinking something more like this, it's closer to the original rail design, except you could adjust the top rail. Would need to build one to make sure it works as expected.

Attachment 308940 Attachment 308942 Attachment 308944

You could add additional spacers if you want more room for the lead nut, and remove the washers from the bearings if the assembly rubs (it shouldn't). You could forgo the bolts on bottom and just glue and screw. You might still need to shim the bearings to get things right. Oh and I used steel angle for the rails of my last build, was cheaper and it may wear better than the aluminum.

That I like! I like the simplicity of the Model D design, but have worried about the bearing and rail being a sloppy fit, or becoming loose over time. I don't see why your design wouldn't work. If I remember correctly, the bearings are somewhat inside the plane of the rail and groove on the Model D. Yours is slightly outside, but that's not a problem. I agree with you on the steel angle. I think it's a much better wear surface than the aluminum.

I was thinking something more like this, it's closer to the original rail design, except you could adjust the top rail. Would need to build one to make sure it works as expected.

Attachment 308940 Attachment 308942 Attachment 308944

You could add additional spacers if you want more room for the lead nut, and remove the washers from the bearings if the assembly rubs (it shouldn't). You could forgo the bolts on bottom and just glue and screw. You might still need to shim the bearings to get things right. Oh and I used steel angle for the rails of my last build, was cheaper and it may wear better than the aluminum.

Grumpy...if you don't mind me asking...how thick was the MDF that you used on your Rockcliff D build?

It was mainly 3/4", I think I used 1/2" for spacers between the bearing trucks (assemblies?) and the parts being carried.

k...thanks! After I posted the question I took a look at your site and got the info from there too. I'm still toying around with building the Model D...possibly with your rail system above.

It was mainly 3/4", I think I used 1/2" for spacers between the bearing trucks (assemblies?) and the parts being carried.

Grumpy,,,I have some steel v wheels with 3/8" ID. I wonder if something like this, similar to Rockcliff D, would work? The adustment groove is in green and allows downward adjustment of the V Wheels against the V rail. Now that I look at this, the adjustment should probably be at the top bearings.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cncidea.jpg  

I shouldn't hijack your thread.... sorry about that!!

That's ok. I'm not really sure what to think about the v-wheels, it looks like it would work, but I think you might need some sort of eccentric nut and spacer to get the tension right. Might still be better off letting the rail move and fixing the bearings. If you have the v-bearings you might be better off riding on the edge of the metal like they do in a number of other designs.

Just crossed the 200 download mark for updated plans, and nobody has any comments... wow they are either that good or that bad If anyone is actually building one I would love to hear about it.

Probably taking some time for the builds. It looks like a good design!

Thanks, I just find the silence weird. When I was building the previous machines I would get a couple of emails a month asking if I had plans, now that I finally release some plans, nothing... maybe that's a good thing.

Nice designs. You have put a lot of work into these. I don't seem to see any electronics info?

Quote Originally Posted by RCollings View Post
    Nice designs. You have put a lot of work into these. I don't seem to see any electronics info?
    Thanks, yes I have put a lot of work into this and hopefully I will get some time soon to put some effort into documenting it a bit more.

No, I haven't included any electronics information, being that this is a low cost design I figured people would be trying to keep it cheap and would go with a 24v power supply, a cheap controller board off ebay and 278oz or 425oz motors with 1/2 Acme 10/1, 10/2 or 10/5 screws.

Most of what I am using is recycled from previous machines so I have mainly older driver boards, Xylotex and Rockcliff (A3977 based), and SOC Robotics MK4/MM160 (TB6560 Based) with 24v power supplies, motors that range between 218oz and 425oz and 1/2 ACME screws with various tpi/starts(10/1, 8/2, 10/5). On the 2 prototype machines I made I used 218 oz motors with 10/1 screws on the flying gantry design and got 36 ipm, on the moving table I wasn't exactly sure what I needed so I went with 425oz motors and 10/5 screws and my rapids can be up to 270 ipm (I don't run this fast) but I really haven't spent a lot of time trying to fine tune it yet.

There are a lot people here with a lot more knowledge about matching drive systems to machine design, anyone want to give a recommendation on a more recent driver setup and motors?

Thanks, yes I have put a lot of work into this and hopefully I will get some time soon to put some effort into documenting it a bit more.

No, I haven't included any electronics information, being that this is a low cost design I figured people would be trying to keep it cheap and would go with a 24v power supply, a cheap controller board off ebay and 278oz or 425oz motors with 1/2 Acme 10/1, 10/2 or 10/5 screws.

Most of what I am using is recycled from previous machines so I have mainly older driver boards, Xylotex and Rockcliff (A3977 based), and SOC Robotics MK4/MM160 (TB6560 Based) with 24v power supplies, motors that range between 218oz and 425oz and 1/2 ACME screws with various tpi/starts(10/1, 8/2, 10/5). On the 2 prototype machines I made I used 218 oz motors with 10/1 screws on the flying gantry design and got 36 ipm, on the moving table I wasn't exactly sure what I needed so I went with 425oz motors and 10/5 screws and my rapids can be up to 270 ipm (I don't run this fast) but I really haven't spent a lot of time trying to fine tune it yet.

There are a lot people here with a lot more knowledge about matching drive systems to machine design, anyone want to give a recommendation on a more recent driver setup and motors?
    This is exactly what I'm trying to do. I have good mechanical skills but I have no electronic skills at all. It all seems so confusing to me. Just looking for a budget friendly straight forward example to work from. Ant advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Nice design! how thick was the MDF that you used on your Rockcliff D build?

------------
    Mester Hardware Co., Limited
    Add: A Building, NO.4 Industrial Park, LiSongLang Village, Gongming Town, Guangming New District, Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
    Tel:0086-755 27170819
    Fax:0086-755 22141519
    MESTER HARDWARE CO., LTD | A PROFESSIONAL MANUFACTURER OF HARDWARE AND FASTENERS

Page 1 of 2 12