Hi everyone,

I know a lot of folks on CNCzone use eBay to buy parts and stuff for their CNC machine (and otherwise) so I thought this might be appropriate to mention here.

I just looked at a listing on eBay for a "Desktop SERVO CNC router with DeskCNC CAM and control". It's a one day auction and somebody has placed a bid on it.

Unfortunately, that's a fraudulent listing from someone using a hijacked account. I hope nobody on CNCzone got bitten by these creeps. Their method is to generate hundreds or thousands of these listings in the hope that someone will send them an e-mail for their "buy it now" price. From that one opening they try to lead you to a screen to reveal your eBay and/or PayPal username and password, or some other method to get you to send them unprotected funds.

I've seen listings like these for other big-ticket items before, but this is the first one I'm seeing under a CNC product.

Please be very cautious on eBay. It is not always the friendliest place to buy items as there are these scammers trying to get you.

The tell-tale in most cases is that the eBay listing will mention a buy-it-now price but there won't be a "Buy-It Now" button on the listing. They will include an e-mail address for you to contact the seller instead of using the eBay "Contact Seller" button. And, most of the time they are one-day listings to try and do their damage before eBay staff can knock the listing off the system.

As they said on the old "Hill Street Blues" television program: let's be careful out there.