585,914 active members*
3,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Advice needed for a 10w fibre laser marking machine using scriba 3 software

Advice needed for a 10w fibre laser marking machine using scriba 3 software

I need advice, I have this machine at my disposal and I am marking stainless steel I am having trouble (mainly with the software and the setup).

I am writing text and the parameters I can change are;

Power (pretty self explanatory)

Frequency (I understand the concept but I don't how it affects the mark other than the darkest mark I achieve at ~22.5khz)

Rate (this is the speed the laser travels across the material in m/s)

Laser pulse width (no idea default is 4 - 200nm)

Laser parameter recipe (no idea what it does but it is greyed out and the option selected says custom)

Pulse width (no idea)

Wobble width (this controls the width of the text in mm and the stepover for each pass (it passes in a moving spiral))

Wobble frequency (default is 1)

My main problem is that I cannot get a 1mm wide text with a small stepover (~0.02mm).

Does anyone have any experience with this software or laser marking in general as I am in over my head and could really use the help.

Thanks

Re: Advice needed for a 10w fibre laser marking machine using scriba 3 software

Hi,
    Try using the scale option to achieve 1mm text. If you create a 2mm text use scale and reduce it down to .500 and this should reduce your text size to 1mm.
    Also, this may sound like a silly question, but have you tried using the size option and inputting the actual size you need?

with regards to you only achieving a dark print at 22khz. What is your z axis set at? I am currently marking brass and I achieve the best results using 25khz at 90% power using a 40mm jig. My z axis is set at -45mm. If I am struggling to achieve a strong print I will raise the z axis by 5 - 10 MM.

I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Steve