584,800 active members*
4,671 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tormach PCNC 1100 ATC info - want to do it myself.

Cool Tormach PCNC 1100 ATC info - want to do it myself.

Hey all, I'm an automated machine designer/engineer. Want to add an ATC but because I'm a glutton for punishment (and own a CNC machine), I want to design one myself. Not looking to set the world on fire or compete with Tormach, it's just for fun and personal interest. Maybe save some money since I've got a lot of motors, cylinder, and other toys squirreled away already.
    Does anyone know where I can find intel on the electrical and signal interface? in other words, how Mach3/PathPilot tells the changer to do it's thing and how the changer tells the controller it's done and it can continue?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPlaneDoc View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find intel on the electrical and signal interface? in other words, how Mach3/PathPilot tells the changer to do it's thing and how the changer tells the controller it's done and it can continue?
    PathPilot would probably be the easier way to go. It's based on LinuxCNC so if you can get under the hood, it might all be in the confit files. I use straight LinuxCNC so not sure how much they have it locked down. LinuxCNC has a couple main confit files and can have a variety of things added to it like ladder programs for things like tool or pallet changers.

Re: Tormach PCNC 1100 ATC info - want to do it myself.

Mach3 IS the easiest way to go. All the info the machine needs is controlled from the M6start Macro, NO plc NO ladder is needed. Simply define teh actions in teh macro and Mach3 handles the rest.

(;-) TP

Ok well, I finally found the answer to my question.. the Tormach ATC connects to the controller via USB. I could stick a sniffer on it and see what it's sending to the ATC but that doesn't tell me what the ATC sends back to the controller.

I've been designing and building automated machines for 30+ years.. PLCs dont scare me in the least in fact, if I can get a strategy that will communicate the the next tool number to mount, I'll be set. Maybe using the USB port on an Arduino? hmmm.....

Have you tried asking Tormach this question?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you read this:

LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: ToolChange

It summarizes the LinuxCNC signals for tool changes, which Path Pilot presumably uses. Even if Path Pilot uses some other communication method or script, I don't see why these couldn't be used. They should be relatively straight forward with a PLC or microcontroller to manage the ATC motion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Plane Doc:
    Do you have a design for the ATC or have you still in the concept mode? I own a torus pro and am getting close to PDB completion and the next step is ATC. I'm not a designer but love to tinker and build my own "stuff". Can't afford it otherwise!
    Good luck with the 1100 mods.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Quote Originally Posted by lens42 View Post
    Have you tried asking Tormach this question?

Yes, they did not respond.

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Mach3 IS the easiest way to go. All the info the machine needs is controlled from the M6start Macro, NO plc NO ladder is needed. Simply define teh actions in teh macro and Mach3 handles the rest.

(;-) TP
    I agree, but Mach3 also has it's own issues and I'm going to try PathPilot this time.

Quote Originally Posted by bill south View Post
    Plane Doc:
    Do you have a design for the ATC or have you still in the concept mode? I own a torus pro and am getting close to PDB completion and the next step is ATC. I'm not a designer but love to tinker and build my own "stuff". Can't afford it otherwise!
    Good luck with the 1100 mods.
    Bill
    I've not made dimensioned drawings or anything but the goal is to have 12 positions (only so I can brag that it has more than the factory's ) and that it moves out and up, in order to get the longer tools out of the way. Other than that it's pretty conventional. Though, I have been considering a robotic-style pick and place powered with steppers just for the fun of it.

Quote Originally Posted by zamazz View Post
    Have you read this:

LinuxCNC Documentation Wiki: ToolChange

It summarizes the LinuxCNC signals for tool changes, which Path Pilot presumably uses. Even if Path Pilot uses some other communication method or script, I don't see why these couldn't be used. They should be relatively straight forward with a PLC or microcontroller to manage the ATC motion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Thanks! this is fabulous intel. Now if I only knew more about eunuchs. what the heck is a HAL anyway?

Tormach PCNC 1100 ATC info - want to do it myself.

Hardware Abstraction Layer

HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer or rather Hardware Annotation Library) was a software subsystem for UNIX-like operating systems providing hardware abstraction. HAL is now deprecated on most Linux distributions, such as parts of Ubuntu with functionality being merged into udev as of 2008–2010.

A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Hardware Abstraction Layer

HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer or rather Hardware Annotation Library) was a software subsystem for UNIX-like operating systems providing hardware abstraction. HAL is now deprecated on most Linux distributions, such as parts of Ubuntu with functionality being merged into udev as of 2008–2010.

In this context HAL refers to LinuxCNCs HAL file. This also stands for Hardware Abstraction Layer but is unrelated to the Linux HAL facility

The HAL file is where most machine specific customization is done in a LinuxCNC (or Pathpilot) system

Heres a basic introduction to HAL concepts:

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/intro.html

Quote Originally Posted by PCW_MESA View Post
    In this context HAL refers to LinuxCNCs HAL file. This also stands for Hardware Abstraction Layer but is unrelated to the Linux HAL facility

The HAL file is where most machine specific customization is done in a LinuxCNC (or Pathpilot) system

Heres a basic introduction to HAL concepts:

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/hal/intro.html
    Thanks.. I did find that page using google. trying to understand it now Got LinuxCNC running and Mesa cards on the way..