585,914 active members*
3,646 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Catastrophic VFD failure

Catastrophic VFD failure

Hey guys,

I've got a bit of a problem here.

Yesterday, my spindle decided to just stop right in the middle of an operation. The spindle stopped, broke the end mill, and sent the pieces flying across the room. I checked the VFD, and it had zero power. Checked the circuit breaker, and it had definitely tripped it. Reset the breaker, and turned the VFD back on. The moment I hit the "start" button, I got a massive spark inside the VFD.

Like an idiot, I tried again, this time the spark happened at the spindle, which means I may now have a bad spindle.

I have attached some pictures of the faulty component inside the VFD, and I've attached an image of the specs of my spindle.

This was a Chinese eBay special combo that included the spindle + VFD. The spindle is 2.2KW 400HZ 3HP Air Cooled.

Does anyone know of a safe way to check the spindle to see if it isn't damaged? I do have a multi-meter, but I don't know which wires to test, and what setting to use on the multi-meter. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160210_143130.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	307502

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160210_143038.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	324.2 KB 
ID:	307504

Re: Catastrophic VFD failure

Semus,

You're welcome to send them to me for a free evaluation. We'll check them for any further damage and let you know how much it would cost to repair it. Shoot me at email [email protected] and I'll give you my shipping info.
    We fix it all! Give us a call at 855-437-3497.

FWIW, if you replace the VFD with a good quality one, it will likely tell you if the spindle is damaged through an error code relating to current draw. But since you saw a spark within the spindle, I think you know the answer ...
    For a start, check each one to the case, there might be a single ground wire, but none of the others should have continuity to the case.

Not much to test on the motor, you should have a low and equal resistance value between each of the three phases, with one conductor reading to case/frame.
    The large semi's could need replacing, see if you can read the part No. off of a good one.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

check each wire as above said..

if youre not comfortable to fix, then possible just buy a new set... because fixing might cost same than a new set..

meanwhile, you can tracking down yet what parts are blown and later replace yourself...
    im not sure but that part could cost a couple of dollar, and you can replace it..

diode 230 V 8 A mosfet | eBay

you need to fid the exact number of your part..

also check fuse , capacitors..

for caps you can get cool capacitor meter about 15

2015 Newest Version of Inductor Capacitor ESR Meter DIY MG328 Multifunction Test | eBay

================================================== ===========================
    first buy a complete set..

CNC Milling 2 2KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor ER20 2 2KW Matched Inverter VFD | eBay

another one, possible stock in the country

2 2KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor 2 2KW VFD Inverter Milling Variable | eBay

so you have a new one and you can work and earn money..

spindle might works yet..

just be realistic..

shipping forth n back the inverter with spindle will cost about 70 dollar.. plus you add the fix cost..
    shipping time same like a new coming..
    then youre not far from a new set price..
    the problem is folks who understand how it is working, and capable to fix they aren't working for 10 dollar per hour..

Hey guys,

I'm sorry that I haven't replied. I've found the answer to my problem.

As it turns out, it was the connection to the spindle that caused the VFD to blow up. I replaced the connection to the spindle, purchased a new VFD from Automation Direct, and all is well.

It was a simple connection issue, but I didn't find that out until I tried to fire up the spindle using the new VFD. The new VFD is MUCH better quality, and it gave me an over-current error. Once I knew that, I could check the connections and wires leading up to the spindle.

Once I found the issue, it was just a matter of replacing the connection. I didn't have the time or patience to replace components, and the new VFD is much better than the cheap eBay special. The spindle still works great ;-)

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

still you can give a go, to fix the old drive... cost a couple dollar, but you can learn a lot..
    and feel more safer next time