586,011 active members*
4,658 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting aluminum

Got the coolant sprayer running and I Thought I'd share some success cutting deep into an aluminum block.

Re: Cutting aluminum

That is fantastic!

I've been wondering how well this machine would do aluminum blocks. A side project of mine has been to do an 80% lower

Thank you! Got a third of the way through on the other side. Dreading the last part of this where I have to extend the cutter 2.5 inches from the holder.....

Quote Originally Posted by infamous_panda View Post
    Thank you! Got a third of the way through on the other side. Dreading the last part of this where I have to extend the cutter 2.5 inches from the holder.....

Take extreme caution with that! Make sure you have plenty (at least an inch?) of shaft still in the router chuck. Otherwise that thing could rip itself out. Don't ask me why I know this (I'd need a beer to recount the afternoon I spent with a ice pack on my privates after I made that mistake) and I why I now wear a thick leather apron when routing by hand....

Would you mind sharing your tool info and feed / speeds on this? I've got some alum work coming up and don't have much experience with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
    Take extreme caution with that! Make sure you have plenty (at least an inch?) of shaft still in the router chuck. Otherwise that thing could rip itself out. Don't ask me why I know this (I'd need a beer to recount the afternoon I spent with a ice pack on my privates after I made that mistake) and I why I now wear a thick leather apron when routing by hand....
    Definately! The cutter I got is a 4" extra long. Even extended down 2.75" past the holder, It is fully engaged in the collet. That said I am 50/50 on whether this will survive the 7+ hours of milling and will take every precaution for a flying broken bit!

Quote Originally Posted by discojon View Post
    Would you mind sharing your tool info and feed / speeds on this? I've got some alum work coming up and don't have much experience with it.
    I claim not expertise. This is only the second job I have done in Al, The first being quick profile cut out of 1/16" material. So i can share what has worked so far 5 hours in and at 1.625" depth, and just under an 1.00" to go. First reference I took was from CNCRP's Youtube channel which feature a PRO4848 cutting AL. Second reference is from Dynodon64 Youtube video where he is machining a propeller hub on his homemade router. He has a similar challenge where he needs to cut 2.50+" inches deep with a 1/4" endmill. Even with carbide the tool deflection at this length is definitely not ideal, the noise is horrendous and the accuracy is probably not good. But to create the fin features I have no other options.

The alloy I am cutting is MIC6 tooling plate. A soft cast aluminum known for being very sticky.

First job done was the the bowl feature.

3/8 3 flute roughing carbide roughing end mill extended 1.375" from holder

18,000 rpm
    100 ipm cut
    0.03125" doc

I was only spraying detergent and water at this point since the coolant did not yet arrive. At the deeper passes I would have to intermittently squirt WD40 to keep things from gumming up. This took about 1.5 hours. Could probably go with a little more depth of cut.

Fins first pass

1/4 2 flute standard end mill extended 1.25" from holder

14,000 rpm
    60 ipm cut
    .03125" doc

I had the lubricant spraying at this point and it made a world of difference as far as the cut quality and preventing the AL buildup on the tool. Noise was okay

Fins current pass

1/4 2 flute extra long endmill extended 2.25" from holder

14,000 rpm
    40 ipm cut
    0.3125" doc

So far 2.5 hours without breakage, but a lot of noise. had to increase the rate of spray from the coolant to get deep into the fins.

Fins final pass plan.. crossing my fingers.

Same cutter but going to extend it down 2.625" from the holder

14,000 rpm
    30 ipm cut
    0.3125" doc

I can't express how much difference the sprayer and cutting fluid make when doing this. I really did not want to deal with the mess and potential fogging and did a lot of research for alternatives. Turns out the fogging is not so bad and the fluid actually is helping keep the chips from flying very far. My spoil board is mdf so I layed out a tarp over it and had some bolts poke out from underneath for work holding. I put hot glue where they poked through to prevent any leaks into the MDF.

The mister and oil I used

Yosoo Mist Coolant Mist Lubrication System Used for CNC Lathe Milling Drill Machine

CRC SL2512 Soluble Oil, 32 Fl Oz

The flow control on the mister seams broken, but I am able to control by adjusting the height level of the intake relative to the sprayer. It was only $12.00

Very cool!
    I am going to be profiling brass in a couple of weeks.

Awesome. Perfect timing to read this. I have been cutting some 80% lower on my Pro4848. Im not sure on the different grades of aluminum(currently looking them up). From what i see the 7075 is a lot harder hence it is needed for safety being used in a gun. i have a 5/16 bit HSS. Goes 1.3" been having some bad chatter. (1.3" cutter because pocket needs to be 1.24 deep). Any ways im just talking out loud wondering if anyone else has tried this. I have cut 5 of them on a big heavy manual mill but was currious to see how the pro could do it automatic. Any one curious about to post videos on it.
    Mic 6 - 23,900 Tinsel Strength 65 Hardness
    7075 - 83,000 Tinsel Strength 150 Hardness

Quote Originally Posted by Mokra View Post
    Awesome. Perfect timing to read this. I have been cutting some 80% lower on my Pro4848. Im not sure on the different grades of aluminum(currently looking them up). From what i see the 7075 is a lot harder hence it is needed for safety being used in a gun. i have a 5/16 bit HSS. Goes 1.3" been having some bad chatter. (1.3" cutter because pocket needs to be 1.24 deep). Any ways im just talking out loud wondering if anyone else has tried this. I have cut 5 of them on a big heavy manual mill but was currious to see how the pro could do it automatic. Any one curious about to post videos on it.
    Mic 6 - 23,900 Tinsel Strength 65 Hardness
    7075 - 83,000 Tinsel Strength 150 Hardness

not to thread hi jack...

I have done 7 lowers on my standard cnc routerparts with 3hp Chinese spindle.

2 flute carbide bit .25
    12800 rpm
    .075 stepover
    .125 DOC
    64 ipm.

just sprayed with wd-40 and kept the chips cleared. probably could have gone deeper but this worked so I just kept with it.

Hey thanks for the info i have been playing with it a little and i have found out that the adaptive pocketing on fusion does well with .25" down and load it up to .025. 2 Flute at 15 IPM does well. At 6600 RPM Plan to make some videos.
    What does your .125 DOC and .075 step over mean? Still trying to learn as much as i can thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by advert View Post
    not to thread hi jack...

I have done 7 lowers on my standard cnc routerparts with 3hp Chinese spindle.

2 flute carbide bit .25
    12800 rpm
    .075 stepover
    .125 DOC
    64 ipm.

just sprayed with wd-40 and kept the chips cleared. probably could have gone deeper but this worked so I just kept with it.