585,662 active members*
3,291 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Noob about to build own CNC router NEED ADVICE!

Hi all.

When you class someone as a noob, well I'm more noob than most so I'll need some advise on parts as I go. I'm also on a budget that is less than a shoe string budget, thats why I'm going to build it rather that buy it.

The cnc router is to be used for wood, Acrylic and thin Aluminum. I want to be able to make custom computer cases and maybe in the future water block. An Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OwB5al5KXg

I'm intending to build the frame from ply and feel my way as I go. Something like this is my inspiration : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIkejQEk3a4

1. Lets start with the break out board. What do I get? There are so many that I have no real idea what to get.

2. Stepper motor driver board controller. There are a few to chose from but thats the best for the budget.

3. Stepper motors. Again, a large selection. Will a Nema 17 work or do I need a Nema 24? Dual shaft single shaft? 6mm or 8mm shaft? These things I just don't know about.

4. "SCARY" Power supply.

Anyway any help would be welcome.

Re: Noob about to build own CNC router NEED ADVICE!

1) Depends on which features you need. Probably best to select this item last, when you know what you want and need.

2) Depends on your budget. The best bang for the buck is a Gecko G540 or Leadshine MX3660 or M4660

3) Nema 23. Dual or Single shaft depends on what your design requires. Shaft size is usually 1/4" but some larger ones are available with 3/8" shafts. LArger shafts are more desirable if you'll be mounting a pulley on the motor.

4) Depends on the motors and drives you select.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

So that inspirational router is a lot of CNC cut parts and sells for more than a shoestring, what do you define as shoe string? What size machine do you think you need for your projects? What tools do you have access to? I have designed a router I think is cheap and pretty good and can be built with access to a table saw, drill press and some hand tools (and 2 Forster bits). There are plans for it here: DIY CNC Router Plans | BootstrapCNC.

I have used a number of cheap stepper controller board with success, unfortunately nothing from the current crop of offerings, most of the US companies no longer offer the cheap all in one board solutions.

I would think you would need at least NEMA 23 motors matched to whatever drive system your are planning on using, I have only used lead screws and NEMA 23 Steppers, if you want any sort of speed you would need to go with multi-start screws.

The drive system is probably the one thing where you will and should spend extra money, even on a cheap machine.

The brick power supplies aren't that scary, the toroidal ones defiantly look scary, but once you understand how to wire things up it's not that bad. As in all things electrical, you just need to be careful and double check everything.

I am sure you will get a ton of responses, my focus has been building the best cheap machine I can, if you choose to go that route I would be happy to share my experience.

I would post more, but I need to start working... you can see some of what I have done here: Home of the GrumpyGeek | grumpygeek.com.

-grumpygeek

Looks like your trying to go on a budget and that budget is the answer to many of your questions Arduino Uno a breakout board and Nema 23 being the bottom end and then you can start spending some serious money. A few complete kits on Aliexpress Power pack Controller Drivers and Motors starting around £150 280 oz Nema 23, watch out for import duties though.
    Power supplies I repurpose PC ATX power supplies for a £10 I can get 750watt units new. combine two wires and remove extra wiring and jobs a good one. Also with the Board consider the software you intend using I have a laser cutter engraver built Arduino/Ramps 1.4 and Inkscape/Repetier free software gcode produced inside Inkscape the drawing package. If you want to run Mach3 you'll want to go with a Mach3 board. I have built the MostlyPrinted CNC and its good for what it is but not for me so starting from scratch Firstly converting a Milling Machine to CNC to build myself a larger quality CNC in mostly Aluminium

Do you have the tools to be used for making the parts? Do you have the space and the knowledge needed? If not you should start with that. What's your background? Mechanical engineering? Wood working experience? Any electricity knowledge? Are you ready to spend the time and the money needed just to get started? In my interpretation "a shoe string budget" means VERY little money, but how much are you ready to spend on EVERYTHING including tools and necessary parts? Why don't you consider buying a ready made Chinese low budget CNC? Honestly, I think you are better off starting at that end. It is very easy to give you an advice, but is it going to make you happy? What means "I'm more noob than most"? I mean, are you just a dreamer or convinced that you have the time and resources to have a few setbacks and finish the project? Are you planning to sell the products you plan to make or you just want to do it as a hobby, no specific business plans.

It is easy to cry out for help, but I honestly think your best help is self help. Ask when you have specific questions and a firm idea, a realistic plan... Right now I feel your questions are easy to answer but there is a limited value in the answers unless we know more about your plans/dreams/expectations.

Like the others here have been telling you, build the frame first, and then worry about the breakout board, controller, motors, power supply etc. If you get it built, you'll have a more realistic idea about what it will take to move the axes, and you'll have had more time to read about others' experiences with the various motion-control options available. Or you might give up on the DIY plywood router idea altogether, and be glad you hadn't spent money on all that stuff you won't need anyway.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thank you all for your advice.

The one thing I really need to know for now is what size motor shaft would I expect to use for when I go and get the threaded rod for my drive shafts, 6mm or 8mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Olddragon View Post

The one thing I really need to know for now is what size motor shaft would I expect to use for when I go and get the threaded rod for my drive shafts, 6mm or 8mm.
    That depends on the motor you are buying, so you must decide for the motor, check the specs and it should say which shaft diameter it has. My NEMA23 motor has 1/4" diameter, and it is my understanding that this is sort of a standard for NEMA23 shafts, but I am not sure that all NEMA23 has 1/4" shafts. NEMA34 has larger shaft, NEMA17 smaller. I have some NEMA17 motors also, and those have 5mm shafts.

Quote Originally Posted by Olddragon View Post

It doesn't matter. You just get couplers to join them together. The motor shafts almost never match the screw diameter.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi mate, if you are in Brisbane you could come and have a look at mine which I designed and built. I sent you a PM with my phone number so maybe you could at least call for a chat if you want.
    Peter

Just want to share my 2 cents:
    1. I made my first cnc to save money on my PC water block. Now I've spent enough money in this hobby enough to buy a whole store of water blocks . So you should consider purchasing computer case & water cooling system instead.
    2. If you insist, tell us how much you intend to put in this project so we can advise accordingly.
    3. If you are on a very tight shoe string, I think you can consider a small enough cnc to make water block. The computer case you can just go to a local shop with laser cutter to ask them to cut the plexiglass for you.
    3. If you are ambitious "The cnc router is to be used for wood, Acrylic and thin Aluminum. I want to be able to make custom computer cases and maybe in the future water block" then beware that your budget will shoot up much more than you initially planned

Yes a lot of good advice here you can get confused ,I made mine for fun then maybe some profit but mostly to make things for my self .So here goes if you see or think of something you want to make first look it up on ebay or similar and don't be disappointed that someone makes it out of China for a couple of dollars.The computer Industry is flooded with great deals on really cool stuff i think of it as a great tool that leads into all sorts of things as you can see from this forum so many different avenues to explore,good luck John.