585,962 active members*
3,976 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.
Page 1 of 3 123

Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.

Been lurking on this forum for a little bit since I picked up 1100 late last summer. Just wanted to share a few modifications/upgrades that I did to mine for the knowledge-base.

I did an enclosure on the cheap using steel pipe, fittings, and clear shower curtains that I cut down. Cost about $70 for the frame from the big box store and another $15 for the curtains and hangers.
    Its definitely saved me a bunch of time with cleaning and also allowed me to go full flood coolant. I would like to go full hard sides in the future but am still in the design phase of how I want to do it. In the mean time I get an occasional leak in the front if I don't tuck the curtain in between the Y-axis table and the pan skirt, and I am also getting a leak through the pass through (which I have a fix for but am waiting on a couple of fitting to get my filter in place).

One of the first things I did was some tool holders brackets. I printed them out on a rapid prototyper and have them mounted on my peg board from wall control. I took it one step further and ended modifying one of these and mounted it to the side of my controller where I was able to located my 2 touch probes, less handling and moving around and therefore less chance of the renishaw probe tip getting damaged.

Finally the last modification was a better mount for the coolant lines, this is version 2.0 that I am testing. I drilled out and helicoiled the 4 holes located behind the spindle and bolted a rapid prototyped bracket that holds 4 adjustable nozzles. There is a pass through for the electrical wire for the spindle light and a flange that helps locate the light uniformly under the bracket. As soon as the rest of my fittings show up I'm running the supply line up through the motor area and in the umbilical on top of the machine where it will hook up to my filter (parts should be here early next week). Also I am currently working on version 3.0 and would like to split this bracket in half and put a hinge on it so that I can quickly flip it out of the way when I need to change tools, We will have to see how the hose management ends up working out as it may or may not work out.

Re: Flood Coolant Mod and Tool holder ideas plus other misc.

Pretty cool

Anyone with a Jeep grill on wall gets my vote for cool also!

Thanks guys, I'll keep the thread rolling as I get things installed.. As far as the Jeep grill comment I figure you might enjoy what sits behind the mill, 8 years plus frame off rebuild/restoration and about 80% complete with the wiring so I should be turning the motor over in the next month.

Nice, like the innovation. Are you going to be uploading some of the 3D parts (sprayer mount design) to thingiverse?

I like everything you've done EXCEPT the Lock Lines.

The problem with Lock Line is you have to readjust your coolant every time you put on a longer or shorter too.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

You did the right thing by going with your initial enclosure design. I have watched a lot of folks spend a lot of coin on 80/20 and other materials to only realize that their initial designs did not take into account their vise handles, 4th axis steppers, long stock....etc., etc. I have had my 1100 going on 8 years and still haven't came up with the enclosure that is perfect LOL. FYI if you want to stay with a flexible curtain for the long haul you can upgrade to a Tillman transparent Vinyl curtain for a few bucks and cut it to fit. I've had these as a flexi-enclosure for my 770 for 5 years and I can still see through them and they are heavy enough to stop the swarf and chips from pushing them around :-). One time a wayward drill chuck was slown down enough by the curtain to not put a hole in the wall too so I can't complain LOL!

605 | John Tillman Co.

I also am a fan of locating your probe and sensor out of the traffic patterns. I broke 2 indicator/probe tips last year because of their proximity to other tooling and clamps. Design the potential for failure out of the process and reap the rewards! Good job and please keep sharing.

Ask and you shall receive: Flood coolant manifold for tormach 1100 by 84scrambler - Thingiverse
    Dallas J, just take note that I'm still in the test phase and that I don't have a tool changer so I'm not sure if it would work with one or not. Also the mounting screws are a bit off, I couldn't get calipers in there very well so I was stuck with a tape measure, I have since got some transfer insert that I will use to get it really accurate but havent done it yet. It does fit just a very tight fit, also the fit around the spindle is very snug so it might give you problems depending on the accuracy of your rapid prototyper.

Steve: do you have any suggestions for alternatives for flood coolant nozzles? I'm pretty lazy and get the whole changing position of the nozzles eventually being a pain.

Pickled: thanks for the heads up on the upgraded plastic sheets, price isnt bad either and an upgrade I will need to get. I have a design that I drew up already for creating a stainless steel pan to extend in front of the vise but something about having a curtain type cover and all that access is going to be hard to let go if I choose to go with hard sides. I still plan on doing the SS pan, at least I wont have to mess with trying to get the curtain wedged between the y-axis and original pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    I like everything you've done EXCEPT the Lock Lines.

The problem with Lock Line is you have to readjust your coolant every time you put on a longer or shorter too.
    That's why my coolant lines are mounted to my column so they are always at the top of the material no matter tool length.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
    That's why my coolant lines are mounted to my column so they are always at the top of the material no matter tool length.
    Is that still working great? I keep thinking of the post you made about this quite a while ago... and wondering if its worth implementing. Do you have any pics you are willing to share?

Quote Originally Posted by 84scrambler View Post
    Ask and you shall receive: Flood coolant manifold for tormach 1100 by 84scrambler - Thingiverse
    Dallas J, just take note that I'm still in the test phase and that I don't have a tool changer so I'm not sure if it would work with one or not. Also the mounting screws are a bit off, I couldn't get calipers in there very well so I was stuck with a tape measure, I have since got some transfer insert that I will use to get it really accurate but havent done it yet. It does fit just a very tight fit, also the fit around the spindle is very snug so it might give you problems depending on the accuracy of your rapid prototyper.

Steve: do you have any suggestions for alternatives for flood coolant nozzles? I'm pretty lazy and get the whole changing position of the nozzles eventually being a pain.

Pickled: thanks for the heads up on the upgraded plastic sheets, price isnt bad either and an upgrade I will need to get. I have a design that I drew up already for creating a stainless steel pan to extend in front of the vise but something about having a curtain type cover and all that access is going to be hard to let go if I choose to go with hard sides. I still plan on doing the SS pan, at least I wont have to mess with trying to get the curtain wedged between the y-axis and original pan.
    If you'll send me a phone number to 714-420-2453 I'll text you some pictures of what I have done.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

David, Yes works great, both machines are setup that way. Bet the thread is still here somewhere but I can answer whatever questions you may have. My ATC machine has the Tormach upgraded pump and 3 coolant lines, give great coverage.

My ATC machine has the Tormach upgraded pump and 3 coolant lines, give great coverage.
    If that is the Tormach 1/8 HP upgrade, how much better does it work than the OEM 1/10 HP pump? 0.025 HP doesn't seem like much of a boost, but maybe there is more to the upgrade than just HP.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    If that is the Tormach 1/8 HP upgrade, how much better does it work than the OEM 1/10 HP pump? 0.025 HP doesn't seem like much of a boost, but maybe there is more to the upgrade than just HP.

Mike
    I think it handles more nozzles better, like I said I run 3 lines and the flow is as good or better from each line as the single line with the stock pump. Just my opinion, maybe start a thread for feedback from others too.

I think it handles more nozzles better, like I said I run 3 lines and the flow is as good or better from each line as the single line with the stock pump. Just my opinion, maybe start a thread for feedback from others too.
    Thanks - just long-term curiosity at present as the 1100 enclosure won't fit in the space available for the mill so splashing is an issue now, even for the OEM pump. It would be nice to do an enclosure at some point, though, and I'll post a new thread then.

Mike

Desjardin, I can also confirm your experience. When I first set everything up I ran a single nozzle and the flow was great, I was originally skeptical how well the pump would work when I wanted to upgrade to 4 nozzles, low and behold the pump didn't seem to be phased at all with the 4 nozzles and all of my doubts were put to rest. I cant find the HP rating of my pump in my PO but because I bought it last year I'm going to guess that it is the higher horse power rated pump.

I have had my 1100 since June. I use it to make parts I sell for the H D Tri Glide motor cycle.
    I use a pallet changer and all parts have had pallets made to hold them.
    Coolant is high pressure through 3 or 4 flex lines using a 30 gallon tank and a 1/2 HP pond pump. Pump controlled through a Tormach relay setup.
    I have a full enclosure but still use plastic curtains as I spray a lot of coolant.
    My biggest problem was cleaning out the chips.
    Below are pictures of what I am trying out. I cut a plastic piece to cover table (hole to fit around pallet changer) and to stick out in front of table. I put the side panels back on table and the slide in plastic piece.
    This is trapping about 90% of chips allowing me to grab some each time I change out stock. After a week, I am going to work on something made out of metal as it works great.

Dennis
    Attachment 308482Attachment 308484Attachment 308486Attachment 308488

I had PVC pipe as a drain for coolant tray. Just redid so I have a chute to dump back coolant. Working great.
    Dennis

Attachment 308930Attachment 308932Attachment 308934Attachment 308936

Iaff84, I'm looking at a future modification similar to yours, mainly to increase the storage capacity like you have, I like the pan but I like to complicate my life so I was planning on making an L shaped tank and take advantage of the space where the original tank sits.

It also looks like I will need to upgrade my pump. I did my filter with wash down hose upgrade but the oem pump just lacks the flow for my spray nozzle. You can see how I wrapped my "coolant" line up the back of the mill and through the flexible cable tray on top. I added two straps on the inside of the mill where the motor sits (you can see 2 small stainless steel button head screws on the outside of cover used for holding the straps located inside the enclosure) so that the hose can pass through the bottom and still have plenty of clearance from the pulley. Probably created about 2" of clearance and am comfortable knowing I shouldn't ever hit the coolant line on the pulley.

You can also spy a version 3 to my coolant bracket, magnets placed to hold it together and springs are going to be placed on either side to help pull each wing out of the way when I need to access a tool. I wont disturb the coolant lines now between tool and indicator change outs. Total time savings: about 30 seconds but so worth it..

One more note, I tried using the original chrome supply line from the pump and man did that thing piss me off. I made a little diverter and added shrink tubing and coolant was still getting down those spirals. I finally had it and took it out and am replacing it with tygon tube, still need to get 1 more fitting to test it out on how well the shrink tubing will seal to it.

I finally got version 4 of my manifold mounted on the tormach, yah version 3 didn't last long.. It's machinable friendly right now and the next step is to make an aluminum one, probably sometime next week.

I just finished up my shed so I am going to do a little re-organizing, which will include building a work station next to the mill and also building a proper enclosure. I picked up some 1/4" lexan sheets on craigslist and will hopefully start on an enclosure in the next week or so and will post some pics of that.

I also picked up a nice DoAll band saw for $1k that will get moved in the garage in about a week, only problem is the stupid thing weights 1200lbs so it will be a little challenging.

Page 1 of 3 123