586,011 active members*
4,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Andre I need help, Partmaster Lathe V13 and Mach3 Turn --- tool changer questions

Andre I need help, Partmaster Lathe V13 and Mach3 Turn --- tool changer questions

Well Andre if you can check this thread , I tried my best to describe what interests me

Partmaster Lathe V13 & Rear Turret Lathe under Mach3 ----problems

Re: Andre I need help, Partmaster Lathe V13 and Mach3 Turn --- tool changer questions

Hello,

You need to use Goto command in CAM

This gives you the opportunity to tell the system exactly where to go when changing tools or and the end of the program.

The sequence could be.....

Rough Turn outside...
    Goto - go to toolchange position but move in Z first
    Finish turn outside....
    Partoff
    Goto - go to toolchange position but move in X first

Hope this is clear.

ATB
    Andre

Re: Andre I need help, Partmaster Lathe V13 and Mach3 Turn --- tool changer questions

Hi , thx for tip, I tried that also after I had few collisions , I noticed some strange things while I was using Goto, for example something that moved fast from position A to position B without using Goto, after when I apply it like you described that movement became slow (which was from start relatively fast as G code was generated in first place) so I went and deleted all Goto which I additionally inserted but that particular movement still left slow (I recorded so if i find video will show you). So I tried that before I realized that tools from turret are not being retracted before rotation as I expected (haha it took me some time because for some time I used empty tool changer but when I inserted drill and few more tool things became interesting), I thought what I see in CAM on screen in two dimensions I will see in reality also .
    Other thing I wanted to say, when I use Goto and send toll changer on tool change position, after executed tool change command tip of the current active tool then need to travel again to point that is defined in setup of machine (and it is called in Machine Setup "Rear Turret Tool change / Safe (Home) position") so logically it seems to me that I need to take care manually about something that should be automated.

So what about post processor , is it possible to adjust it to tool changer automatically retracts according to tool type or that is not possible to do?

Hello,

Yes, you can do this - each toolype has it's own ID - they can be found in the post help file under integer variables.... they are....

Contains a number representing the current tool type.
    0 Undefined
    1 End Mill
    2 Ball nosed End Mill
    3 Slot Drill
    4 Drill
    5 Ream
    6 Tap
    7 ThreadMill
    8 CenterDrill
    9 Chamfer

10 Turn - external turning tool
    11 Bore - internal boring tool
    12 Thread - external or internal thread cutting tool
    13 Groove - Grooving or trepanning tool
    14 Button - tool with circular insert

So you can say .... If tooltype 1 then ..... else if tooltype = 3 then ...... or if tooltype is NE 1 then .....

I'm not a programmer so this is just an example.
    ATB
    Andre

Quote Originally Posted by andre-dolphin View Post
    Hello,

Yes, you can do this - each toolype has it's own ID - they can be found in the post help file under integer variables.... they are....

Contains a number representing the current tool type.
    0 Undefined
    1 End Mill
    2 Ball nosed End Mill
    3 Slot Drill
    4 Drill
    5 Ream
    6 Tap
    7 ThreadMill
    8 CenterDrill
    9 Chamfer

10 Turn - external turning tool
    11 Bore - internal boring tool
    12 Thread - external or internal thread cutting tool
    13 Groove - Grooving or trepanning tool
    14 Button - tool with circular insert

So you can say .... If tooltype 1 then ..... else if tooltype = 3 then ...... or if tooltype is NE 1 then .....

I'm not a programmer so this is just an example.
    ATB
    Andre
    Hi, thx, this sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by andre-dolphin View Post
    Hello,

You need to use Goto command in CAM

This gives you the opportunity to tell the system exactly where to go when changing tools or and the end of the program.

The sequence could be.....

Rough Turn outside...
    Finish turn outside....
    Partoff
    Goto - go to toolchange position but move in X first

Hope this is clear.

ATB
    Andre
    I tried and recorded and analyzed, I tried before also but realized that it did not help but did not analyzed in details what is going on, would love to be as you describes, I conclude that post processor is not adequate or what you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ttceK0PtM

Is there a reason this discussion is on a public forum board??

Quote Originally Posted by FastFarmer View Post
    Is there a reason this discussion is on a public forum board??
    I do not understand is there any problem or what?

Only that it appears to me this should be directed directly privately to Dolphin support, and is not a public discussion.

I tried to watch some of your videos, but I don't know what this thread is about. The only issue I could see was that the post processor lacks function and you have define offsets etc on the machine? Well, that sounds normal to me.

I run my tool change on it's own coordinates system and it works perfect with Dolphin. Mind you, I would never use junk like mach3 or 4.

If you work out exactly what you want your tool to do, and discuss privately with Andre, I'm sure he can post it for you.

Only that it appears to me this should be directed directly privately to Dolphin support, and is not a public discussion.

I tried to watch some of your videos, but I don't know what this thread is about. The only issue I could see was that the post processor lacks function and you have define offsets etc on the machine? Well, that sounds normal to me.

I run my tool change on it's own coordinates system and it works perfect with Dolphin. Mind you, I would never use junk like mach3 or 4.

If you work out exactly what you want your tool to do, and discuss privately with Andre, I'm sure he can post it for you.
    I asked help from official support (over their support e mail) and I got instructions to go and ask help on Mach3 forum it is Mach3 isue, which I did and I do not know how thread from Mach3 forum ended here also, that do not borders me at all. You are right, post processor lack some function , I manage to discover what and where to change things to machine work as I see in CAM while I am creating program.

Here is link on Mach3 forum in case you missed it in first post of this tread.
    Partmaster Lathe V13 & Rear Turret Lathe under Mach3 ----problems

What controller you use?

Quote Originally Posted by zmajmr View Post
    Here is link on Mach3 forum in case you missed it in first post of this tread.

What controller you use?
    I don't understand what is the issue?? You are upset Dolphin CAM doesn't understand offsets, is that it??

Offset are particular to each machine, so in any production environment having CAM understand offsets is just stupid. CAM has NO need to understand offsets.

I also have no idea why but you are also critical of buying Dolphin Lathe? Why? Name one lathe CAM that even comes close to Dolphin for the money.

We run 3 x Optimum mills, and 2 x Optimum lathes, all closed loop (fyi not supported by mach3) with Linuxcnc and Pico Systems Universal Controllers.

I don't understand what is the issue?? You are upset Dolphin CAM doesn't understand offsets, is that it??

Offset are particular to each machine, so in any production environment having CAM understand offsets is just stupid. CAM has NO need to understand offsets.

I also have no idea why but you are also critical of buying Dolphin Lathe? Why? Name one lathe CAM that even comes close to Dolphin for the money.

We run 3 x Optimum mills, and 2 x Optimum lathes, all closed loop (fyi not supported by mach3) with Linuxcnc and Pico Systems Universal Controllers.
    Lets begin with this: Everything is easy when you know it (no matter how complicated it is).

Dolphin Partmaster understands offsets and it depends about controller you use (I use Mach3) how post processor will be adjusted, for Mach3 is adjusted to use tool offsets from Mach3 Tool table, in case of some old (very very old controller as they say in support then in post processor for machine with that old controller should be commands that will read data for tool offsets which are entered in CAM user interface where you made definition of your tools, drill, threading tool , etc.)

I am not critical for buying Dolphin Lathe, I gave you link that brings you on Mach3 support forum and in last post I said that I even recommend CAM but I am totally disappointed with support (official one that I can contact over official e mail ), so I recommend CAM even it crashes , I never used program that crashes so much (maybe because I am using it on windows XP, I do not know but I can live with it).

Also I joined before week ago on yahoo group , Dolphine Partmaster, I copied name of person who wrote post processor for Mach3 and pasted it on google and this is how I found group, and made question and sent video where I describes what is going on, wanted to see does anybody knows what to do, which part of post processor do I look or something in that direction...
    And after I manage alone to adjust post processor (I found on forum CNC zone manual about post processor) two days later Andre replied back to send him CNC program and post processor that I am using, I said thx for help I manage to solve problem alone, so before few days I realized that Andre works for Dolphine, till then I thought he is just guy that uses Dolphine and have some experience with it.

So next, I never had any CAM before Dolphin Lathe, so how much each cost , I know that there exists 10 time more expensive programs and 5 time cheaper programs, how I decide which one to take into consideration, I went on youtube and watched videos and saw BOBCad and Partmaster , bobcad I could not use on windows xp ,that version which they had so I downloaded before year ago Partmaster lathe, watched 2 videos and after I think 1 hour I mange to create my first CNC file, and next step was to post process it and there I got some message about peck drilling error (also made video what is going on) and post it on forum and sent it to official support where I describe what is going on ,and can they help me what to do or what to try to do. I think Andre answered me something on forum and from support I got message do I still need help after 1 month, I said yes , repeated complete message , sent video again and no replay from support.

So I expected somone from support will reply to me in period 5 days max.
    So as I had job to do on my CNC lathe (I could only move x and z axis with out tool changer) and after 4 or 5 months after my mail to support I got message do I still need help, did I sorted problem, and I was thinking they must be joking with me (I did not think that but you get the point), and I said I did not , I am interested in program but my trial is expired and (30 day free trial) I was asking what to do, every time I install program got message contact support, your trial is expired you need to buy license or something like that, at that time I got offer for program , it was less then retail price but there was no way I will buy when I did not try it, I did not try to move neither one axis of machine even 1 mm.

And now comes I think third person who said that he got message that I have some problems and he got instructions to contact me, I hda some funny feeling about it and went to google his name and saw Linkedin profile where it say he works for BOBCad and he is if offering me Partmaster Lathe, well that was really strange. Anyway for I do not know which time anymore I explained that I got every time some message about error when I want to generate G code and I wanted direction what to do (genuinely I expected something like this, OK thx for report, we will fix it, try to download it again and let as know do you still have problem), but instead of that I was getting offer to buy program that I could not try (I could not finish post process process without errors).

So that third guy (which is new , as he say he worked for BOBCad and now he work for Delphine) told me that business politics of company is like that, that you need to buy first program and then they will make post processor for your controller. So he offered me even lower price then previous guy and as I told him that I actually did not manage to try CAM I asked him is it possible to get my price plus GUARANTEE that I will get fully working post processor for Mach3 Turn radius mode for lathe with rear turret (that means I can output in Gcode all options that exist in CAM). And he said OK but you need to pay today, I said I am just going on 4 day trip will pay when I return home, but no if you pay today they will sorted post processor and you will be able to make chips sooner, I mean (LOL) , ok I paid , then I needed to get license and and so on ... In mean time I realized that, that I wanted to test version V12 and till I actually paid they wrote me in invoice that it is for versionV13.

So time passes fast, and when I activated license and loaded my first cnc program that I made I wanted to test it, I manage to compile it with no errors so I thought well it seams they fixed something, I loaded program on Mach3 and pressed cylce start(with no tools in turret) and I saw for first time moving of my CNC lathe under control of some program generated with CAM. After few minutes of watching machine movement I saw some strange motion, tool changer moves fast from position up to position down and basically does nothing and returns back up, later after I went analyzing I discovered that in generated G code under peck drilling operations there was no G code at all connected with peck drilling. Again took camera recorded what is going on , sent message to guy who sold me CAM and he told me that he will contact support, I tried 2 post processors that are made for Mach3 Turn in radius mode and one supported peck drilling and did not supported tool changes and other supported tool changes and did not support peck drilling, so I told them all that , showed them all that in video and I got as reply from guy that sold me CAM question what is problem, can I send post processor that I am using and cnc file and like that 2 times, then I really lost my nerves, I send them all files what they want describe what is going on, show all in video and they asked me again what is problem and to send them files (I was really like, what is going on in that company).

So when I got message , like something, Ok we see where is problem you needed to wait. I think I waited 2 weeks (in meantime I worked on my CNC lathe , had lot to do on it) and I asked my contact guy (who sold me CAM) is there any progress he said I still did not get any info from support, it comes thanks giving day probably it will be next week,..

OK I waited ... Again after some time I asked is there any progress, in mean time I got post processor that executes peck drilling in expand version but did not supported tool change operations (it does all movements with only one tool, they I had alreaddy in one of those two post processor that I tried), got message from that person who sent me that version of post processor that he will contact me back when he solve problem, I replied him back that post processor need to support tool change operations... and again I waited and nothing, I contacted person who sold me CAM and asked him what about GUARANTEE , I am waiting even I do not know how much because it is better I do not know and I said that this is not acceptable, that I want money back , and he said to give him 5 days, I gave him 8 and in meantime I got message about holidays special offer 50% off, that means buy in half of retail price Partmaster Lathe (so instead to send me for what I paid they send me email where they offers me to buy what I already bought but even cheaper, I thought what idiot I am).
    And last time when I said to seller/contact that this does not have any more sense he send me complete communication between guy that worked on post, one did programing and other I guess needed to check and they made all that before 20 days but never sent it to me, and poor guy that sold me program also did not know what to say any more so I assume this is why he sent me complete conversation.

So this is what was happening, and I asked my self why if it is true that you have many Mach3 users, why if you want to have new customers, why you do not attach working post processor so everybody can try CAM normally in 30 day period as it say on site, I do not understand that business strategy.

And second part of story begins when I manage to mount some tools in turret and I realized that every tip of tool used in CAM (during machining process) starts from safe (home) position and in my case that is true only for master tool.
    That means if I machine only with master tool there will be not problems, but if I select some of 8 tools in turret which have off sets according to master tool it happens that they want to pass through machining part , hit on spindle in process while their tip comes in safe(home position) , when they come to safe(home position) they proceed to machine as I see in 2d graphic interface in CAM.

So my question was why is this happening, I know that is impossible that some one who need to adjust post processor to know how my tool changer works until I describe it to them, but when I do, I expect to tell me what I can do in order not to have those situations , I expected because I entered all tool offsets in CAM (because I read on forum you need to do like that) that CAM will take care about that details, why , because it have all information how long is each tool , how wide it is, every possible data.

And like I said I got from support only instruction not to enter offset values in CAM and that this what is happening to me with tools in tool changer is Mach3 issue and to go on Mach3 forum, which I did.

Now I have question , when somebody ask someone how works with post processors every day and you get answer that is Mach3 issue and you discover that it can be done by adjusting post processor (by me, who is newbie with CAM and Gcode) what else should I think about support, also I said that one person had almost same experience like me with support , and it was written on some blog or something like that before 2 or 3 years ago, I tried to find it to put link here...

Well now you have all in one place.

p.s. I know that tool change problem can be solved also inside of Mach3 , but question was about possibilities...