585,763 active members*
4,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > partner mb20 centurion V

partner mb20 centurion V

Hi,

my machine was running all day thursday, when i came back to it on friday the program was finished but most all lights on the control panel were turned on and screen was black. Got no response when trying to press any keys.

I rebooted the machine but now all buttons w/lights are blinking and none are working. I connected a keyboard directly to the sbc, and then i could navigate the menus, but i can't reset drives from the keyboard or seq. start(or can i?).
    i took out all cards and connectors cleaned everything and checked that all connectors were seated properly, to no effect.
    Any pointers on how to continue troubleshooting is much appreciated.

Thanks, Frank

Re: partner mb20 centurion V

sounds like it could be the keyboard encoder card at the front panel. Did you try unplugging and reseating all those connections too? There are a few on eBay, depending which version you need. Milltronics Partner Circuit Board PC Kybenc 02 PCKYBENC02 | eBay Milltronics VM 17 CNC PC Kybenc 02 Board 6 07 004 011 BD 40 | eBay Milltronics Partner I VMC Centurion 5 PC Kybenc 02 6 07 004 011 Used | eBay

Thanks for the reply, did not take any notes when i opened the front panel, but the second link looked right.
    Is there a specific weak spot on these boards where i can check for faults?

I've read other posts where people have said that there are keyboard combos for 'reset' and 'seq start' but i have not found any mentions of what they are. Anyone know?

Sportybob would be the one to ask on that. As cheap as some of those boards are I would be willing to try one anyway. I have had issues in the past that were resolved by swapping out the keyboard chip on that board, like it lost its flash or something. It should have a paper label with the version printed on it.

Attached

the list of keys helped!
    i can run it now from a keyboard directly connected to the sbc, to me that sounds like it's very likely to be keyboard encoder board, or at least something on the panel end of the machine.
    the text obscured by c7 is 'PC-KYBENC-02'
    Attachment 308426

now i'm wondering what board to get? is this the right one?
    Milltronics Partner I VMC Centurion 5 PC Kybenc 02 6 07 004 011 Used | eBay

Hi Fran_k, you have an older keyboard encoder card. I have a replacement. you can also use the K/B listed below, invert the mounting cut the tie wraps to the P3 and P4 connectors they will now be "upside down" and you may need to #4 hardware it mount it. Ignore the "2nd" p2 connector in the photo. ( useful if adding a LCD display in the future, it will bring in the 12VDC needed for the LCD display. PM me for more info.
    You need it? I most likely got it.

Sportybob

Just after my last post, i ordered the card from ebay i had in the link. i received it today and swapped it out with my old one. In short:nothing works. the lights that were blinking uncontrollably before, are also dead now.
    Any pointers on where to go from here?

some progress...
    i switched the p3 and p4 connections on the board, now it works, but the keyboard i have plugged into the top of the board doesn't work. and there are no lights in the buttons(they do flash on startup though....)

The one that you got may have had problems too. It has pretty much either got to be a cable or that card since the control works fine when you plug in the keyboard in the back. I would either send that card back or send out your old one for repair or both. One other thing you might do is check the solder connections on the CRT plug that goes to the front panel. I did have a partner 6 where I had to resolver about 6 of those connections. It is a shame you don't have another machine to do a little swapping with.

I think you have a bad chip on that board. There are a few replaceable chips on that card that I have had to replace on one of mine. If memory serves I believe it was a 7204 chip and I think there are 3 on your card. You should be able to go to plc center and get a box of 5 for all of 10$. Just be sure to check orientation when you pull and swap. There should be a notch on one side of the chips letting you know the direction. Also, you may call milltronics and order a keyboard card update chip.

Hi Fran_k, If you got the longer keyboard encoder card as a replacement , then you will need to pull wire #6 from the round connector ( J2), This is a -12vdc, that that board does not use. pull the wire, and end cap it and all should be good.

Sportybob

The boards look identical(except for the seemingly homemade heatsink on my old board)
    and the version nr on the keyboard chip is: my old one: D63B v1.17, the new one D1C2 v1.13
    Left:my old board Middle: The new board mounted.
    as you can see this machine has had a screen-replacement.

Attachment 310328Attachment 310330Attachment 310332

Hi Frank, a couple questions. what color is the control box in the back of the machine, black or light gray? is there a wire in pin #6 on the round connector?

sporty bob

Quote Originally Posted by sportybob View Post
    Hi Frank, a couple questions. what color is the control box in the back of the machine, black or light gray? is there a wire in pin #6 on the round connector?

sporty bob
    Don't know about the #6 pin as i am away from the machine now, but the control box is black

edit: there is no wire in pin#6.