I just built a proto 6-ball type digitizing probe. I really did not plan on doing much digitizing, but edge finding and setting up the machine quickly is what I really wanted.

I loaded the blue screens from the Mach site and then installed the probing mod from this site. It seems to work great - save once so far (The probe crashed deep using the Z zero button)! I also tried the digitizing wizard and it too seems to work great, save once (was over probing a spot, I saw the DRO going deeper near the edge than it was set to do). You will see both faults in the image of the nickel.

I was digitizing a nickel because it looked like it had a larger bossing than most other coins I had. Once when probing, I noticed the machine was putting a dimple in the nickel. After a fresh boot, I ran the Z zero routine and it crashed and bent the nickel, Which I had up on parallels. I removed the parallels for the digitizing you see. The probe seems to have survived without any noticeable damage and the digitizing is done post crash.