584,849 active members*
4,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Driver board and stepper motors?

Driver board and stepper motors?

Hello , I am new in cnc-world, so i have some questions.
    Can someone tell me, is this(4Axis TB6560) driver board is compatible with thise stepper motors (RS Components 8 wire 5V 1A) . And if they are compatible , what power suply should i use.
    Thank You in Advance.

Re: Driver board and stepper motors?

As far as the specs, they are compatible and will work together. For the best performance use the highest voltage that the board allows ( with some safety margin )

For now i have 12 V 15 A power supply and 24 V 5 A power supply .Which one i should choose or I need to buy new one ?And what kind of safety margin did you mean? I will use only two axes , not all of them.

Go for the 24 V 5A, that will do for these motors, I expect even running 4 of these. the 24 V will give higher speeds.
    With the safety margin, I mean that if the specs of the board are 36 volt, I prefer a powersupply that has a maximim output of 90% of the voltage for the driver. This is due to electronics tend to die fast if they get a over voltage. And motors could give a backcurrent to the driver which gives a voltage spike

Thanks for fast reply and explanation I was afraid not to burn the motors (or driver) with higher voltage, so i will connect them and try how they work Thanks again .

And for current , i will set it 25% for each motor right ? (25%*5A=1.25A the motors are 1A)

The TB6560 driver is not compatible with intelligent design of a machine. They are junk as any amount of searching on this site will tell you.
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Quote Originally Posted by cvetan View Post
    Thanks for fast reply and explanation I was afraid not to burn the motors (or driver) with higher voltage, so i will connect them and try how they work Thanks again .
    Your far more likely to fry the driver board than the steppers. Steppers are fairly hard to kill, unlike the TB6560 boards, which tend to die if you so much as scowl at them or when the wind changes direction.

cheers, Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Quote Originally Posted by cvetan View Post
    And for current , i will set it 25% for each motor right ? (25%*5A=1.25A the motors are 1A)
    More like 50% with those drivers. At 100% they run at around 2a repeatable current.