584,837 active members*
5,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Why isn't my gcode running??
Page 1 of 2 12

Question Why isn't my gcode running??

Not sure why its not running...using mach 3. This line flashes red in the readout and then nothing...just sits there...

(TOOL #1 0.25 1/4 2 Flute LOC 1.125)

any ideas?

%
    O100 (PROGRAM NUMBER)

(BEGIN PREDATOR NC HEADER)
    (MCH_FILE=4AXVMILL.MCH)
    (COORD_SYS 1=X0 Y0 Z0)
    (MTOOL T1 S1 D0.25 C0. A0. H3.)
    (SBOX X-1. Y-7.1875 Z0. L6. W8. H0.75)
    (END PREDATOR NC HEADER)

(FIRST MACHINE SETUP - Machine Setup - 1)

(PROGRAM NAME - DUSTBOOT_TOPPLATE.TAP)
    (POST - BC_3X_MILL 3-AXIS GENERIC FANUC)
    (DATE - SAT. 02/13/2016)
    (TIME - 03:48PM)

N01 G00 G17 G40 G49 G80 G20 G90

(FIRST CUT - FIRST TOOL)
    (Machine Setup - 1 Facing)
    (FACING)

(TOOL #1 0.25 1/4 2 Flute LOC 1.125)
    N02 G90 G54 X-0.551 Y0.3 S1222 M03
    N03 G43 H1 D1 Z1.75
    N04 Z0.95
    N05 Z0.85

Re: Why isn't my gcode running??

Your using a fanuc pp, try using a generic Mach 3 pp.

okay will try....

I've ran a couple other small parts using this post processor no problems....

what would be the difference between fanuc and mach 3?

thx

Quote Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
    what would be the difference between fanuc and mach 3?

thx
    There is no difference between Fanuc and Mach3, Mach3 is based on Fanuc ISO G code so that is unlikely to be the issue, that line is in brackets so should be ignored by Mach3 anyway

Your code runs fine in both Mach3 and Mach4 here, must be something in your Mach3 setup that has changed somehow, I would check out your General Config first

Regards
    Rob

also forgot to mention i'm using 2010 screenset for mach3...will have to go through all of my settings and check. Will load up my other files that i already cut and see if those go too..Don't remember touching anything in there other than manual spindle change and ignore m6 calls....

thx

I think it may be that particular screenset, I have just tested your code on 4 different Mach3 screensets and 2 different Mach4 screensets and it works on all of them, next I tried the 2010 screenset and I get the same issues as you so try a different screenset, the default 1024 screenset would be a good place to start, I found the 2010 one to be unstable and that was on a PC with XP Pro 32 bit OS which runs anything and everything

Regards
    Rob

hmm...well that would not be good...got the 2010 screenset to make manual tool changes easier...maybe i'll post this over in the screenset thread....

Not sure I am following you, why would you specifically need the 2010 screenset to be able to do manual toolchanges ?

I would always have that done in the PP, here is a typical set of code showing the end of one feature and the start of the next one with a different tool, I know this runs in Mach3, I use it every day

This is all in Metric

N360 Z30. Head moves up to rapid clearance
    N370 G40 Cancels any previous offsets
    N380 M09 Coolant off
    N390 M05 Spindle stop
    N400 G91 G28 Z0. Moves head up to machine Zero position
    N410 M00 Stops machine

Now the manual change can be safely done with the head at the top of it`s travel
    Now just press "Cycle Start" to resume cutting with the new tool

(Machine Setup - 1 Profile Finish)
    (PROFILE FINISH)
    ( TOOL #2 - 8mm Flat End Mill 4Fl Carbide)
    N420 T02 M06
    N430 S4000 M03
    N440 G90 G54 X-10.54 Y10.233
    N450 G43 H02 Z30. M08

If your PP doesn`t do this and you would like it to then upload it and I or someone will tweak it for you to just how you need it, all the above is assuming you are running a 3 axis machine

Regards
    Rob

the 2010 screenset will zero your new tool to a mounted touch plate on the machine once its changed. Just automates everything and makes it a little easier.

for example...doing a rough pass with a 1/4 endmill then a finishing pass with an 1/8 ball mill....it compensates for the different lengths of the tool.

Don`t you have the tool lengths already set in your tool library ? ?

Ahh, sorry, I take it you are changing collets and cutters in the spindle, not using cutters in separate tool holders, if so then yes, you are stuck with trying to use the 2010 screenset, tough one that

I have all my cutters in toolholders, I got adapters for my spindles so that I could use the "Easychange" system instead of the original R8 setup, I probably have around 40 holders I have built up over the years

Sorry I couldn`t be of more help to you

Regards
    Rob

the 2010 screenset will zero your new tool to a mounted touch plate on the machine once its changed. Just automates everything and makes it a little easier.

for example...doing a rough pass with a 1/4 endmill then a finishing pass with an 1/8 ball mill....it compensates for the different lengths of the tool.
    I use ER11 collet chucks on 10mm straight shanks for everything up to 7mm, that gives me repeatable tool lengths allowing me to populate the Mach3 tool table.
    I started off with 4 and set them up for each job but it proved such a handy system I'm keeping an increasing number of tools permanently set up that way,

- Nick

Newbie here....i have a home based router machine. If it is indeed the screenset throwing things off then that really throws a stick in mud for me...

Newbie here....i have a home based router machine. If it is indeed the screenset throwing things off then that really throws a stick in mud for me...
    I'm sure there are a lot of Mach3 users doing very similar things, the official Mach3 forum (Machsupport Forum - Index) in the General Mach Discussion is the ideal place to ask what others are doing and what solutions there may be, including your Mach3 version will help as there are specific versions with specific issues and older versions are available to download should that prove to be the solution to your problem,
    Regards,
    Nick

....seems to be finicky...sometimes it works and sometimes doesn't. I have to open and close mach, reload file and run it again until it works...

....seems to be finicky...sometimes it works and sometimes doesn't. I have to open and close mach, reload file and run it again until it works...
    Ask on the Mach3 support forum, the guys there are as pleasant and helpful as those here,
    Regards,
    Nick

The screenset should have no effect on the g-code at all. It doesn't have any effect at all on how Mach3 runs. The only thing the 2010 Screenset does differently than a stock screen is the M6 macros.
    You might want to try copying the stock M6Start and M6End macros with the 2010 Screenset and see if it works.

If you send me the entire g-code file, I'll take a look at it this evening.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

That would seem to indicate the screenset has a stability issue,have you thought of trying out Mach4 or the Calypso Ventures (Calypso Ventures, Inc.) screenset,($69 USD) that does tool offset probing and is a nicer screen IMHO, I have it on a 3x Mill that has an ATC and I can just fill the carousel with tools and run a small toolchange program and it will go through all the tools one by one and set the length offsets in the tool library for me, takes a few minutes and they are all done ready to be called by the program as required.
    I have/can do one tool at a time just by using the MDI and inputting say T2 M06, that triggers the software to do the touch off for the tool.

Worth a look anyway

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

That would seem to indicate the screenset has a stability issue
    No, it doesn't.

As I said, screensets have no affect on Mach3 operation. All they basically do is use different images on the buttons. The only way a screenset can affect operation would be the macros it uses.

What version of Mach3 are you using, and are you using the parallel port or a motion controller? If a motion controller, which one?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    No, it doesn't.

As I said, screensets have no affect on Mach3 operation. All they basically do is use different images on the buttons. The only way a screenset can affect operation would be the macros it uses.

What version of Mach3 are you using, and are you using the parallel port or a motion controller? If a motion controller, which one?
    I have mach3 v3.043.066
    uc100 usb motion controller

How does the stock M6Start and M6End macros differ from yours?

I really don't understand why it works sometimes and sometimes not...
    Will try the macros tonight and see.

thx

Change to 3.043.062 and see if it helps.
    3.043.066 is know to be very buggy.

How does the stock M6Start and M6End macros differ from yours?
    The stock macros don't really do anything, where as the 2010 macros do the auto zero of the new tool.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Page 1 of 2 12