584,841 active members*
4,264 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Need a price quote on some material that is cutout by a laser.

Need a price quote on some material that is cutout by a laser.

This is my first quote for these parts.

Cutting the laminate parts for a single drone takes about 27 minutes on my 40 watt laser (don't have my notes so I might be slightly off here). More powerful machines would go faster.
    The cost for one drone kit (includes 8 motor mounts so each kit has a spare set) comes to $34. Cutting extra motor mounts costs $1.10 per mount so $4.40 per set. I can get hundreds of extras out of a box of the laminate if necessary - especially on the laser which has almost no kerf. You'll have lots of extras but I only billed for the extras I cut on the laser. The CNC cut mounts were prone to chipping so you'll need the extras in case you find some damaged ones.
    Each piece of laminate allows for one kit plus an extra top plate. After cutting four pieces of laminate this way, it's necessary to cut one piece without top plates but with an extra middle plate and one piece without top plates but an extra lower plate. This nets 7 drones from 6 pieces of laminate and leaves a single, extra top plate. It's hard to explain but the process is as efficient as it's going to get.
    I've got just one short cutoff of laminate (have to shorten them to fit in the laser) left which is usable but no need to cut it until I have enough laminate to create a full kit.
    The CNC didn't chip with a new bit. I used a down-cutter and a clean spoilboard to prevent this. However,the laminate dulled the bit pretty fast and before it broke, it would cause some lifting of the surfaces. Switching to the laser eliminates all issues. Cuts are very clean.

I would like to find a cheaper rate to cut these out. Using the information above is it possible to get my drones cut in less time? The biggest piece is 16"x 6" 7mm. To break even on these drones I have to sell them at $70.00 to make any profit off of these. Please PM if you would like to do a trial run for me with some DXF files I am using.

Another question would be is there any demo software I could load up on my machine that would simulate the cutting time to give me a better idea of how long it takes, what speed is best to use and how many passes to cut through cleanly the material.

Appreciate any responses.

If this is in the wrong area would the moderators please either move it for me or inform me so I may put it in the right forum.

Thank you.

Re: Need a price quote on some material that is cutout by a laser.

Attachment 308790
    This is the drone that will be cut out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_173417.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	308834

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160207_094254.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	308836

what material are you cutting?