584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Fadal carousel engagement

Fadal carousel engagement

I put a new spindle and new retention clips in my tool carousel but now the tool change has an issue. I re-set the Z axis height by adjusting the resolver in Z motor, so that is fine. The problem is that with the new tighter clips, the tools don't seem to seat all the way back in their pocket. Then, when the tool change comes back to that tool, it crashes into the tool.
    When you physically push the tool back in the extra 1/4" or so, it will tool change just fine, however you can see as the spindle comes down over the tool holder, it pulls the tool out just a little bit on it's path down. ALL of this can be corrected as near as I can tell, by just having the tool carousel extend about 1/8" further out during tool change.

Looking at the books and such, it says to take off the ATC cover and adjust a stop. However I can't get the cover off to save my butt. Do I have to remove the roof of the sheet metal enclosure above the ATC, in order to remove the ATC cover, in order to make this adjustment?

Just hoping for a confirmation prior to tearing this thing apart..... AGAIN.

Thanks
    Jon

Re: Fadal carousel engagement

Not sure the VMC you have but, No the newer ATC cover is made in two pieces. If you take the smaller piece off the Larger part of the cover will come off. Then loosen the two 5/16-18 bolts and slide the carousel all the way in Engaged fully. With the Spindle oriented and at Z C.S. (tool change position). Then re tighten the 2 bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Houndogforever View Post
    I put a new spindle and new retention clips in my tool carousel but now the tool change has an issue. I re-set the Z axis height by adjusting the resolver in Z motor, so that is fine. The problem is that with the new tighter clips, the tools don't seem to seat all the way back in their pocket. Then, when the tool change comes back to that tool, it crashes into the tool.
    When you physically push the tool back in the extra 1/4" or so, it will tool change just fine, however you can see as the spindle comes down over the tool holder, it pulls the tool out just a little bit on it's path down. ALL of this can be corrected as near as I can tell, by just having the tool carousel extend about 1/8" further out during tool change.

Looking at the books and such, it says to take off the ATC cover and adjust a stop. However I can't get the cover off to save my butt. Do I have to remove the roof of the sheet metal enclosure above the ATC, in order to remove the ATC cover, in order to make this adjustment?

Just hoping for a confirmation prior to tearing this thing apart..... AGAIN.

Thanks
    Jon
    No you do not need to take the white sheet metal covers off. What you need to do is orient the spindle(M19). You can have the top ATC cover off so it is easier to get to the slide arm. Make sure your turret wheel is somewhat snug but not tight to the turret spindle. Basically have it to where you can spin the turret wheel, I usually only hand tighten 2 of the 6 bolts. Now make sure you put the turret wheel in the correct way and yes Z axis must be at CS.... Take the swing arm and pull the slide over to the spindle, yes have a tool in the spindle.... Once it is fully engaged( it will align itself) you tighten the 2 bottom bolts. Now push the slide back and put the other 4 bolts in etc.... Then take the tool out. Pull the slide back over and look at the clip and the little orient block that is next to the tool clip. The piece that orients the tool in the wheel. The dog on the spindle should be really close to being in the middle almost aligned to this plate.. The factory check is actually using calipers and measuring each side to make sure it is perfect. Thisis the orientation assy alignment, but if you did not mess with that it should be ok now. Do a tool change. Check your turret factor while you are there. You hit cw, then ccw and look at the gear on the turret motor... It should be where the two half moon sides are snug with each other and the rotating pin side is directly outside... If not you can drop your turret factor down in SETP.... If the turret factor gets close to 1 then your grease has broken down to where there is no more resistance/adjustment and you will need a new one... Hope this helps. I was factorytrained at Chatsworth and I worked on Fadals for 8 years from 97-2004... Peace.

Re: Fadal carousel engagement

You described the Tool Carrier alignment beautifully(that would definitely be something to look into)

But i believe the way Hound dog described it .... "ALL of this can be corrected as near as I can tell, by just having the tool carousel extend about 1/8" further out during tool change."

If this is the case then yes you would have to take the ATC cover off to loosen the 2 5/16-18 bolts to fully re-engage the tool carousel assembly. Make sure the swing arm is all the way over (reading the hall effect switch) and re tighten the 2 bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by rodney247 View Post
    You described the Tool Carrier alignment beautifully(that would definitely be something to look into)

But i believe the way Hound dog described it .... "ALL of this can be corrected as near as I can tell, by just having the tool carousel extend about 1/8" further out during tool change."

If this is the case then yes you would have to take the ATC cover off to loosen the 2 5/16-18 bolts to fully re-engage the tool carousel assembly. Make sure the swing arm is all the way over (reading the hall effect switch) and re tighten the 2 bolts.
    Ya, and in that case because of new clips being tighter I would say he needs to put a new belt on the slide arm assy up top and tighten it properly, it may be the belt is slipping too early. It isdesigned to slip, but not until it is fully engaged. Still do not know if he loosened the slide arm L bracket itself. If hedod he must do that adjustment where you put the 2 bolts in to a point where the swing arm is horizontal but can still slide in the slots. Then you push the slide over into a tool. You kind of push the atc into the tool somewhat with a little force. You do not ram it hard, you just kind of make a point of getting the atc into a full extend position fully engaged into the tool. Kinda hard to explain... Anyways then you tighten the 2 bolts that hold the Slide arm bracket. I thought in you initial post you did not take this bracket off... So I thought it was just a turret wheel alignment. But it could be a worn belt up top... With that we just loosened the 4 bolts on the slide arm motor and put a new belt on, then used a bar and pried the motor back to where the belt was pretty tight and tightened the bolts...