584,812 active members*
5,383 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boss 5 wiring Diagram

I am retrofitting a Boss5 mill with Linux CNC and would like to reuse the main transformer to build a power supply for the stepper motor drivers. Can anyone provide me a wiring diagram for the different taps or point me to a download to a BOSS 5 mill manual with wiring info.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Re: Boss 5 wiring Diagram

I don't know off hand how to rewire the T2 transformer, but if you search in this forum, there are a few who have attempted it and there are some photos. I have attached the BOSS 5 wiring diagram from my service manual. I don't think it has enough info to show you how to rewire it. There should be a legend plate on the top of the transformer which illustrates the various primary/secondary taps. Search for a build thread from Shefron who I believe modified the T2 transformer to make a power supply.

Attachment 309040

Thanks for the info. From what I found and the pic + manual you posted I have the info I need. I believe I can set up the transformer single phase 230 input and get 50 volts AC out using the available taps. THis should get me ~70 volts DC once rectified and filttered. Once I get a chance to test this out I will post the info of what taps to use so others could do the same without having to cut into the transformer. FYI I found this page with some info on this as well.Tom Wade Machinist -- Bridgeport CNC Series 1 Transformer Wiring
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

This is an interesting setup, per the schematic. I appears there is a full bridge rectifier and caps building a separate power supply for each axis. In addition there is one more supply feeding those two. Never seen anything setup quite like this diagram.

Russ

I've been hunting that wiring diagram for days. Now if I could make sense of it enough to work out why I have low voltage to my "X" axis.

The stepper holds tight when energized, and just shudders when commanded to move.
    Replaced transistors on the drive board and the heat sink plate behind the drives.Swapped motors, Swapped Drive boards, all with no luck.

I finally started comparing voltages when moves were commanded, and found line 31 to X5 is not increasing voltage when a move is commanded like the other axis'.

Something tells something else to increase voltage on that line by a certain amount to make the commanded move at speed. I found that if I set the MDI federate to 100 ipm. the entire scale of voltage is raised.

Had to quit for the night, but I think I'm on the right track. I'll check that from the reactor in to make sure it has correct power to start with.

I've seen many other people with these old Boss stepper systems have the exact same problem. The motor, drive, and all transistors and diodes check out fine, but the axis just shudders and won't move.

BTW.

Bridgeport Textron Series 1 CNC
    SN/ CNC 1556
    Machine Master conversion by Ah-ha! 2001
    Superior steppers, original drives and power.
    Fed by a 3 hp RPC generating balanced power at 230/247/247 with no load.

Everything was working fine before I bought it and moved it 50 miles; then X axis would start to make a move and only go a short distance, then it stopped moving altogether.