585,722 active members*
4,396 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Attempting to Make a Mold in BobCAD V26

Attempting to Make a Mold in BobCAD V26

Hello,

I'm attempting to make a mold for a lure design I'm working on. Drew the top and side view out in 2d, I'm trying to make the side views into one solid so I can utilize the 3d milling feature in BobCAD. If anyone can assist in telling what I'm doing wrong, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm attempting to extrude each view and subtract where the extrudes intersect. Ideally that would make the 3-d model, right? I've attached the file I'm working on for reference.

Re: Attempting to Make a Mold in BobCAD V26

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmachinist View Post
    Hello,

I'm attempting to make a mold for a lure design I'm working on. Drew the top and side view out in 2d, I'm trying to make the side views into one solid so I can utilize the 3d milling feature in BobCAD. If anyone can assist in telling what I'm doing wrong, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm attempting to extrude each view and subtract where the extrudes intersect. Ideally that would make the 3-d model, right? I've attached the file I'm working on for reference.
    Please see attached file, hope it is what you are looking for

What I did was take your 2D shape and used the "Surfaces > Revolve 360 degrees" and created what I believe is your lure, then I just used your retcangle to extrude a solid for the stock and then used the "Solids > Subtract" to cut the shape of the lure out of the stock solid

Done in V26 Build 1335 so I hope you have that build otherwise you won`t be able to open the file

Attachment 309128

About 6-7 minutes work that`s all, if it`s OK for you that is, if not it`ll need some more effort

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Thanks, but that is not quite what I was thinking. That works for the rear section as that is just a cone. I've got one as a go-by that I have taken a couple pictures of. What I do not know how to do is to make the constantly changing radius on the front and sides of the main body.

Edit: You can ignore the eyes.

Ah, OK, I see now what you need, there was only geometry for the shape I did.

You need to draw the shape you want for the backbone and the belly of the fish in the top plane and join them to the existing geometry at each end in a different plane using another UCS ( Side will probably do it) and then skin the geometry to get the desired shape.

Sorry I don`t have time to do any more right now, it`s 1.15am her and I am off to my bed

That's exactly it!

Unfortunately, I'm too unfamiliar with BobCAD to do that, so the back and belly are profiled out using the top view. The side is done on the front view. The tail section can be done with a simple revolve, as it is just a cone (I believe). What function would I need to use to make the skin?There's so much I need to learn here, I'm used to just using BobCAD for some bolt patterns and 2D drawings.

I'll keep messing with it a while here as it's not quite as let in the states. Thanks Rob,

Chandler

ok, so this is what I've got so far. I'm trying to make the bottom of the mold less like a V and more like a radius.

ok, so this is what I've got so far. I'm trying to make the bottom of the mold less like a V and more like a radius.
    OK, have a look at the attached file, I have done a rough segmented example for you to show what you need to do.

Attachment 309932

Basically the easiest way is to break your lines up into sections, put points at the ends and then use the "Arc > Three Entity" facility to create arcs between the points, moving the lines and/or re-shaping them will allow you to use the "Surfaces > 3 Edge or 4 Edge" to surface each section, the more arcs you put in the better the shape you can create

There are of course other ways to do what you want but IMHO this way is fairly easy

Hope this helps you a little

Attachment 309930

Regards
    Rob

Thanks Rob! So, from what I understand, I would use the break entity utility to segment the three lines, then use the arc three entities to create more arcs. To make the surfaces, use the 3 or 4 entity surface? I would also like to be able to do that with the front as well. I also need to straighten out the rear, it tapers out where it should be straight instead. I'll keep at it! Thanks for the help!

Thanks Rob! So, from what I understand, I would use the break entity utility to segment the three lines, then use the arc three entities to create more arcs. To make the surfaces, use the 3 or 4 entity surface? I would also like to be able to do that with the front as well. I also need to straighten out the rear, it tapers out where it should be straight instead. I'll keep at it! Thanks for the help!
    Yep, that sounds about right, sorry I can`t do more right now, just on a tea break from laying carpets upstairs

Regards
    Rob

Cross section. Arc to cut hole to match tailpiece.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147