585,556 active members*
3,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > cincinnati sabre 4th axis problem
Page 1 of 2 12

cincinnati sabre 4th axis problem

Recently picked up a secondhand cincinnati sabre 1000 with a acramatic 2100e controller and 4th axis included
    When machine is powered up we get a " Alarm 39-6 axis drives are not enabled" message. We dont want to keep the 4th connected but it has a loop backplug which contains about 6 wires.
    the message will appear if the 4th axis is connected or if the loopback plug is connected.
    When looking in the cabinet during start up, on the initial power up all four of the axis drivers have a green light and a red low voltage light, once the emergency stop is released and press the green power button for the second time. The first three boards (x,y,z) the low voltage light goes out and three green lights come on but the fourth driver does nothing, stays one green and the low voltage. Then after 5 seconds they revert back to one to green and one red per box, at this point the error message appears.
    Also there is no A axis readout on the screen, this has been tried with the loop back connected and the 4th axis connected to the same affect.

When the software initially loads and does checks it says that everything is okay

Hopefully someone can steer us in the right direction to fix the problem.

Re: cincinnati sabre 4th axis problem

You need to remove the A axis on the hand held operator panel. Press the setup button and the more button to see (remove axis) or something like that. The control will not look at the A axis. You will need to use the loop back connector. You should also contact " Kilroy Was Here" on the web for more info.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Quote Originally Posted by meckardt55 View Post
    You need to remove the A axis on the hand held operator panel. Press the setup button and the more button to see (remove axis) or something like that. The control will not look at the A axis. You will need to use the loop back connector. You should also contact " Kilroy Was Here" on the web for more info.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services
    Attached is a picture of the pendent
    Also the red light is on for the z axis on the pendant
    And says z axis not ready on the pendant

as Mike says, you should turn off the A axisin the control to help take it out of the picture. Perhaps you can have someone at fives (aka cincinnati - OEM of machine) service walk you thru turning it off on the phone? I think (800) 934-0735

Stick in the 6 wire bypass plug and leave it in.

From post 1, you say low voltage red light goes out on x,y,z but not C? then the DC BUS + & - daisy chained wires that go across all drives at front bottom terminals is off? maybe for a test you should put them back on like on x,y,z? just continue them to C drive too?

But if pendant says issue is Z drive, then maybe the issue is the Z axis? Drive not ready fault is that some drive is not reporting back to a2100 it is ok - sounds like the Z....

You have prints on your machine? If so, you can follow this drive fault loop to the CR relay that must turn on and is not doing so. Got prints?

sorry mike all the low voltage lights go out I have the prints will check today we were able to turn of the a axis

progress! ok, so not a C axis issue at all but a Z issue probably since the pendant says so.... maybe time to regroup and relist where you are - what it does, doesnt do, what errors if any you get....

tell us if you have linear scales or drive encoder emulation feedback to the a2100. When someone pushes the green go button, do you hear the brake CLUNK off in the Z motor up there? all lights are green, no faults?

your user location is bugging me; isn't Australia spelled different than you show?

sorry stuck an extra i in there and cant get seem to change it

Ok so turn the power on at back of cabinet press the green on button soft ware loads up everything says ok check the lights on the drivers one green and one red on all 4 I get someone to release the e stop and press the green whilst I watch the drivers there is a clunk but that is from in the cabinet not from the z all of the reds go out on all drivers x y z display 3 greens on each a has only 1 the greens drop back to 2 on x y z then back to 1 and all the reds come back on all 4 drivers I then get the message axis drives not available as seen below on the pendant it says z not ready it says the z is sitting at -318 even though its at tool changer height also the red light is on at the z button I will put a picture up

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12767471_1687915614805328_1644743541_n.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	309376[ATTACH=CONFIG]309374

Juniorm, you sent me a PM "have you thought of any ideas? i have a tech coming around tomorrow"

The machine mfgr did a good job installing diagnostics to help your tech find problems when they occur. You have a print the tech can follow. Combining those 2 items, THAT is how to identify and then solve the problem. There is no magic bullet, no "oh this thing always is the cause of that problem." So I cannot help you or your tech until some troubleshooting is done. Your machine TOLD you the issue is in Z axis, and the Z drive is not reporting back it is READY. Your print shows where that signal comes from, where it goes. Your tech's job is to follow that signal and find where it stops. There are a LOT things that can cause this, it is a matter of tracing where the signal stops to find out what is wrong.

The only added help at this point I might offer you is this: IIRC, you can hold in the green go button and it will keep the power on the drive system for troubleshooting. Right now you get what 5 sec then it shuts off? Obviously you will not want to leave it on longer than necessary for the tech to trace signals as something is obviously broke, and keeping power on something broke for too long is never a really good idea.

Good luck!

Are you sure that an as over travel switch is not on or stuck on??? Get into PROGRAM WARE and look at the inputs and outputs to see what is going on.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure that an as over travel switch is not on or stuck on??? Get into PROGRAM WARE and look at the inputs and outputs to see what is going on.

Mike I was going to suggest LS too but did not know how to tell him to check it in control... Assuming seller sold a running machine, it seems logical that the vertical may have jiggled down (fallen) on the truck ride to its new home, even with a brake.

Thanks for your help will let you know what the problem is if he can find it

ANOTHER GOOD CALL MIKE ECKARDT! MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Although Jrmach did not reply here, he sent me a PM: "Hi Mike turns out to be the limit switch on the y would you have a 914CE2-33N37 and shipping to Australia thanks"

We do not sell limit switches so cannot help him with a replacement.

we are waiting for the switch to arrive and fit to see if there are any other issues

Ok so we got the new switch and we still have no limit switch signal on the y axis the switch is good also checked the wiring back to the plug on the input board and all is good do you guys have any suggestions where I should check next any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Mike E suggested you look at programware io screen while flicking the switches to make sure they all work; did you?

and I thought your issue was Z axis not Y axis?

and you know you can jog even with switch not reporting in, right? IIRC from other comments, HOLD in green go button while pressing jog button on the offending axis?

we think this machine has more than one problem trying to solve one at a time it had over traveled in the y on inspection the switch was physically broken the wheel broken of impossible to use we have just replaced it and then found its not showing on the io screen checked the switch and wiring to the plug where it goes into the input board and all is good still no register on the io screen would like to know where to check next

sounds like it has more than 1 problem, so solving one at a time makes sense or you will simply have to throw your hands up and give up since there appears not a single solution to unrelated problems...

So. one at a time...

Y overtravel. sw, wiring checked, yet no sig on io screen. guess that says some io board thing is broke huh? I do not work on a2100 so cannot tell you which thing. sounds like if you are sure the w LS sig gets right to the plug on the io input that you need to replace some io thing in the control.

If it was MINE, I would swap the offending Y LS with another known GOOD LS - at the io input plug and see what happens. It seems more likely you still have an io wiring problem than internal io thing problem.... this would tell...

sorry about all the "things" but it is what it is. And free advice to boot! You KNOW how valuable free advice is! Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12