584,861 active members*
4,815 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Collet advice needed

Hi guys
    I am approaching you with a bit lame question but swiss type lathes are new to me.
    How do you get the collets for rechucking on a 2nd spindle, do you get them ordered to the exact dimension needed or you normally get a standard one and turn the collet to the dimension that you need.
    Thanks

Re: Collet advice needed

Hi Gunda,
    The majority of shops order the exact size collet they need, so if you're picking off on a 6mm diameter, you order a 6mm collet. This is most common for production runs because the collet is hardened and has a long life (if treated properly). You can also get carbide lined collets for longer life.

You can get "emergency" collets that are non-hardened material and have pins on the OD so that you can clamp the collet and bore it to any size desired. These are used less often because they are soft steel, so they dont hold up as long.

Also, if you dont need to bore all the way through the collet (for a short part), you can bore out a hardened collet to your desired size. Similarly, you can mill a shape into the collet for non-round pickoff. Just make sure to put a gage pin in the collet near the back of the bore so that the collet does not compress all the way when boring or milling, or else you wont be able to chuck on the part.

Extended nose collets are usually used for the Sub Spindle to allow better tool clearance.

I see you're in Bulgaria, but here in the US, the most common collet makers are Hardinge, Southwick and Meister, or Schlenker. They make collets for almost every machine.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant

Hi MCImes
    Thank you for your reply!
    I was basically wandering whether for example if I turn a part on a diameter 6.35 do I get a custom sized collet from the supplier or I get the closest smaller one and turn it to the desired dimension as normally these collets are offered in an increment of 0.5-1mm.
    The machine I have to equip and run is DMG Sprint 20/5 with highest pneumatic pressure of 6 bar which to my understandings as I've mostly run much much bigger machines isn't much.
    So do you get custom the custom sizes ordered or you'd normally make them yourself. The spindles have standard 145E collets?

In most cases, I would prefer to order the exact size from the collet maker. This is certianly true of Main Spindle work.

One time that a custom bored collet is advantageous is if you need to hold extremely tight concentricity in the Sub Spindle. If you pin the collet (so it cant rotate in the sleeve) then bore it out, you have a guaranteed concentric collet. I find that if I am trying to hold less than .013mm concentricity on features between the Main and Sub, it is necessary to bore the sub collet.
    CNC Product Manager / Training Consultant