585,735 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Move control cabinet outside of enclosure PCNC 1100

Move control cabinet outside of enclosure PCNC 1100

I want to move my control cabinet from the side of the machine to the outside of my enclosure. Has this been done? how difficult will this be? The reason is, If I have any problems at all its a real pain to work and trouble shoot inside that enclosure. I also want to keep things nice, clean and dry. Help, tips, and thoughts would be appreciated. I contacted Tormach and they have no support for doing this, either instructional or with hardware.

Re: Move control cabinet outside of enclosure PCNC 1100

Yes, it's been done. Multiple times- search this forum. There are multiple great examples, sources of supply for cables, all kinds of useful stuff. I may recall incorrectly but I think one of the very comprehensive jobs was Nitewatchman's.

ADDED
    Actually, one I was thinking of was Compunerdy, post date 1-10-2010 @ 8:47

Cable is from Hoistsdirect.com, duct-o-wire
    END ADD

I have a list of connectors used somewhere, I'll find and post if I have not.

A few other points. Tormach sells (or sold) a spare panel, and I believe at least one enclosure kit comes with panel move parts. I'm still working on mine, but a major consideration (for me) is the ability to go back to stock configuration- so I'm putting in extra connectors for later in case I -or a next owner- wants to move the panel back. A major issue is finding cable that works- there is one called out somewhere here, I believe it was from a hoist manufacturer. Only problem is that it's pretty large if you move all the wires with it, and it's a very tight fit on the connector. I've decided to use 2 cables. Also, think about how to route cables; best option may be via the base of the electronics cabinet, then out the back and under the stand.

Search the forum. This is a well studied problem.

See next note. I was reading a bit too fast!

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm not mistaken, I think Strip is talking about moving the whole cabinet, and not just relocating the front panel as many of us have done.

I have also been thinking about relocating the (whole) cabinet onto the backside of the column. There is already an access panel on the backside of the column casting through which all the wires could be placed.

The Z axis limit switches would need a mounting bracket fabricated. The switches are currently mounted directly through the cabinet wall.

Randy

zephr is correct. I do want to move the whole cabinet. but it looks like it will be a total pain so I may not.