584,833 active members*
5,614 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit, design the yoke

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit, design the yoke

Hello community,
    I would like to upgrade my old bridgeport serie 1 with chinese ball screw and eventually run it with steppers . I don't have a big budget to buy real precision ground ball screw. Chinese ball screw precision should be fine for me since i am actually manual milling with 0.09 in of backlash in the x and y old acme screw. I wish i could fit a 32mm diameter ,5 mm pitch chinese ball screw.

My problem is the design of the yoke. I have no equipement to measure the distance between the two axis. If someone has usefull dimensions, it would really help me. ( a CAD or DWG would be AWSOME!!!)

Thank you guys
    i apologize for my newbiness, i have just started this hobby.
    a+

Re: Bridgeport ballscrew retrofit, design the yoke

Hello, we are manufacturer of ball screws supplying quality and affordable assemblies...we do also offer customization manufacturing and end machining to suit your applications ...kindly send us photo/CAD design and specifications then be able to assist you with your assemblies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey
    I'm working on a similar project
    I have solid Work files Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yok.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	310402 of the Yoke

Awesome work!
    did you have chance to measure the axis to axis distance ? There is another important design measure to get is the y axis clearance as the nut passes along the z axis bearing housing.
    Your yoke look way better than mine, ive just sketch the whole geometry.What ballscrew size are you using ? Are you trying to fit chinese ones ?
    Are you willing to share important dimensions or cad ?
    thanks a lot , im glad to know some people tryin to do the same type of upgrade!

Attachment 310430

i have just completed the drawing of the x axis , in order to send clear infos the the chinese manufacturer. They quoted me the x and y axis of the bridgeport, 25mm -5mm ball screw ( because i think the 32mm nut won't clear under the way ) and the price is 279 CAD$ !!!! with both screws machined! Even if precision and quality is not best , i think the price justify the try.

Hi

I'm going to use a 32 mm 5mm Pitch screws .
    The measurements taken from drawing of a similar Yoke of from HIWIN .
    I would be happy to send you the drawing of the Yok .

Note : Yok drawing fits a particular ball screw , it is necessary to adjust it for the screw that you want to use .

Good luck

Yoram

y_shalom did you finished the design of the yoke ? I would really appreciate if you could share some of the measurements.
    Thank you

Hello darco30

I rely on this drawing
    The most important measure is the distance between the axes (101.6 mm) .
    The rest is adapted to the screw you intend to use .

Hope I helped
    If you need more help or information. Do not hesitate to contact meClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Yok_dr.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	312208

Quote Originally Posted by y_shalom View Post
    Hi

I'm going to use a 32 mm 5mm Pitch screws .
    The measurements taken from drawing of a similar Yoke of from HIWIN .
    I would be happy to send you the drawing of the Yok .

Note : Yok drawing fits a particular ball screw , it is necessary to adjust it for the screw that you want to use .

Good luck

Yoram

Can you share the Yoke drawing ?

Quote Originally Posted by daroc30 View Post
    Attachment 310430

i have just completed the drawing of the x axis , in order to send clear infos the the chinese manufacturer. They quoted me the x and y axis of the bridgeport, 25mm -5mm ball screw ( because i think the 32mm nut won't clear under the way ) and the price is 279 CAD$ !!!! with both screws machined! Even if precision and quality is not best , i think the price justify the try.
    Awesome! I have a hafco bm-30a or m603d.
    I so want to do the same. The diameter is 32mm. Total size is 153cm.

Please dont let this thread die.
    Cheers

daroc30, good thread, thanks

Please allow me to provide some of my Manual Bridgeport Ballscrew Upgrade experience..

You can use the standard manual Bridgeport yoke. Just dump the old ACME screw guts out of it and a ballnut for a 25mm screw will fit perfectly.

I ordered my ground screws and ballnut assemblies from Winter Engineering in California. I asked Dave Winter to provide ball nuts with flanges to bolt directly to a standard manual Bridgeport yoke. It fits perfect and my machine runs great.

I spent several months researching the Bridgeport Yoke. I found the same Hiwin yoke print, modeled the part up in Inventor, and ultimately decided the standard Bridgeport yoke was plenty strong. I realized after comparing the Bridgeport Yoke vs the Hiwin Yoke, there was no need to further follow the Hiwin trail.

Also, the Bridgeport Yoke is built whereby all clearance issues are resolved.

Hope this helps,

BT

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamT4450 View Post
    daroc30, good thread, thanks

Please allow me to provide some of my Manual Bridgeport Ballscrew Upgrade experience..

You can use the standard manual Bridgeport yoke. Just dump the old ACME screw guts out of it and a ballnut for a 25mm screw will fit perfectly.

I ordered my ground screws and ballnut assemblies from Winter Engineering in California. I asked Dave Winter to provide ball nuts with flanges to bolt directly to a standard manual Bridgeport yoke. It fits perfect and my machine runs great.

I spent several months researching the Bridgeport Yoke. I found the same Hiwin yoke print, modeled the part up in Inventor, and ultimately decided the standard Bridgeport yoke was plenty strong. I realized after comparing the Bridgeport Yoke vs the Hiwin Yoke, there was no need to further follow the Hiwin trail.

Also, the Bridgeport Yoke is built whereby all clearance issues are resolved.

Hope this helps,

BT
    I need your help and advices. I want to install ballnut to my manual Bridgeport that I will convert to CNC milling at low cost.
    If I understand from your experience, I need to buy 25 mm ballnut with flanges and ask to drill holes to bolt directly to the standard manual Bridgeport yoke and buy the screws that fit with the 25 mm ballut.

Do you have a draw that shows where to drill the holes in the flanges and how the end of the new screws should be machined?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hello.
    Can somebody upload a 3D design of the yoke ?
    (Maybe grabcad or link....)
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDavis View Post
    Hello.
    Can somebody upload a 3D design of the yoke ?
    (Maybe grabcad or link....)
    Thank you!
    Have you received a 3D model of the yoke?

Hi y_shalom, Please can I have a copy of the SolidWorks files.

I don't have a manual Bridgeport but this is interesting none-the-less... I might in the future... keep going fellas and take pictures.

Richard

I decided to make the YOK using a 3D printer (printer also designed and manufactured by me)

(After a note sent to me by e-mail about matching to the machine)

this is the YOK ,,,, full scale from ABS .

I'll check if it fit to the machine .

If necessary. I'll put changes and adjustments.

Then a steel production ..

Attachment 312482

nice abs part shalom!

tell me if it fits under the bridgeport.
    What year is your bridgeport? If u have noticable wear on the ways , maybe the 101.6mm distance willd be too much , and it will squeeze up the screw. Give me some news. As i will do the same , i am now designing the pulley kit and finishing the screws , as i have a x axis with the old servo type 90 power feed. I will probably need to make a bushing to accomodate the power feed flange needle bearing housing.
    See yall

I will try to post some pic as soon as i have more parts.
    Ive received my 1600 oz keyed stepper , driver, power supply and breakout board.
    I am also tryin to communication with my GS2 (automation direct) VFD to control the spindle via modbus Mach3 ( still having some trouble to communicate , i think i have made a mistake during wiring of my custom rj12 to db9 rs232 adapter )

Here is my Yoke for BP, and some other pic from that project

I'm rebuilding bridgeport mill, want to know how did the Chinese ballscrew worked out for you in terms of accuracy, is it much big difference as to hiwin's ground ballscrews?

Hiwin's is like $2K for two axis with yoke.

If anyone can provide the accuracy results between the two ballscrews, it would be great.

Thanks.