585,962 active members*
3,640 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > spindle recommendation for cutting mild steel

spindle recommendation for cutting mild steel

Hello

I like to hear who had much success, cutting mild steel using a chinnse spindle with there cnc.

I would like to know what cutting speed what tooling was used and size make of spindle etc.. coolent or oil etc.

I know mill would be better suited (lower spindle cutting rpm and more ridged setup)
    for my need but i dont have that option currently. Currently using a router, I need to upgrade
    To something more powerful like 3kw spindle for my next build, seeking advice from fellow cnczone users.

Re: spindle recommendation for cutting mild steel

Hi. How did you get on? I see no replies and am wondering what your results were as I am thinking I will try the same.

I have a 2.2kw water cooled 6-24k rpm on my router and a tiny 500w 200-5000rpm on mini mill, the mini mill is far better cutting mild steel lower RPM more torque and rigid with aluminium no difference but with mild steel they are chalk and cheese.

As Louis notes, the requirements for a spindle that cuts steel are quite different from one that cuts wood and aluminum. You'd be better off constructing something yourself from scratch, using a regular induction motor, a pulley cluster, and a bearing-mounted shaft with a collet chuck, than attempting to use a high-speed spindle, which has very little torque when slowed down to the steel-cutting range, no matter how powerful it may be.
    Andrew Werby
    Website