585,582 active members*
3,933 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Wiring for Huanyang 220V 2.2kw VFD...NEED HELP PLEASE!

Wiring for Huanyang 220V 2.2kw VFD...NEED HELP PLEASE!

Hey guys...I'm sure it's been covered many times, but I can't find the info I'm looking for. I am having my brother (who is an electrician) come over tomorrow morning to help me run 240V power to my garage. He has asked me exactly what I need...and I'm not 100% sure. I know that there are 3-wire and 4-wire versions of 240V plugs. Do I need just a 3-wire? Can I use the cord and outlet plug from the pictures here? Which wire goes where? Do the 2 outside wires on the cord carry the hot leads and the middle wire carry the ground? Do I wire the 2 hot leads to R and T terminals on the VFD and the ground to ground? Please explain this to me. Thanks a bunch!

Justin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 240V Cord.jpg   240V Plug.jpg  

Re: Wiring for Huanyang 220V 2.2kw VFD...NEED HELP PLEASE!

justindewoody

You are in the wrong wiring area, you are looking at domestic wiring, when you start with something like this you want to look more in the industrial side of wiring, if you are going to plug the VFD in then you want to be using a Twist-Lock type plug, and quality wire 2 Hot and a Ground is all you need for the input power and Yes R & T for the 2 Hot wires, Ground to the Ground Terminal, the output, to your Motor or Spindle You need 4 wires 3 Hot and a Ground Plus it needs to be a Shielded cable

Photo is of a Twist-Lock Plug, they come in different styles all function the same
    Mactec54

Thanks for your help mactec...I appreciate it. I understand that "ideally" I should be using something like this Twist Lock that you showed, but can I just go ahead and use the plug/cord I showed in the pictures above? I already own them. Is there a reason why I CANNOT use them? I have all the spindle output wires understood. I also have a 110V 1.5kw spindle and VFD just like this on my other CNC router. I'm just new to the 220/240V thing. This more powerful spindle/VFD will be for my new machine that I just finished assembling. Thanks again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by justindewoody View Post
    Thanks for your help mactec...I appreciate it. I understand that "ideally" I should be using something like this Twist Lock that you showed, but can I just go ahead and use the plug/cord I showed in the pictures above? I already own them. Is there a reason why I CANNOT use them? I have all the spindle output wires understood. I also have a 110V 1.5kw spindle and VFD just like this on my other CNC router. I'm just new to the 220/240V thing. This more powerful spindle/VFD will be for my new machine that I just finished assembling. Thanks again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Justin
    Take them back to the store, they will give you a credit,most of the same stores you got those parts from sell the right stuff, ( Twist-Lock Plugs ) you should use, Your Brother will tell you the same if he is a good electrictrician, the cable you are showing is junk, it's amazing what they are allowed to sell
    Mactec54

The cable is junk? Even at 10 AWG? Interesting... Thanks for the advice. You the man!

Justin

The cable is junk? Even at 10 AWG? Interesting... Thanks for the advice. You the man!

Justin
    Nothing to do with the wire gauge, the insulation on these cables is very poor, for this type of installation, plus the Plug you want locking into it's socket
    Mactec54

I appreciate your help mactec...we got it done yesterday. The VFD is powered up and working fine. Thank the Lord!

Justin

I need to piggyback this thread. I have the same vfd, and I have the 220V outlet with two hots and a neutral. I wired the vfd up with hot, hot, neutral and it powered up fine. Then I hooked up the spindle with the three leads and ground. Plugged it in, checked all the settings, hit run, and.... Nothing. The base home screen flashes r000.00 and the FOR light blinks. I don't think it's supposed to be blinking. All the online tutorials assume the spindle spins up when you press run.

What terminals do you have your HOT-HOT-NEUTRAL plugged into? Have you gone through all the parameters and set them properly?

Justin

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, you do NOT need the NUETRAL. You only need HOT-HOT-GROUND.

Justin

Well, my 220V has three wires and relative to the third, the other two each read 110 and to each other they read 220. So that third one is what I mean by neutral but I probably have the term wrong.

Anyway, I have the two hits plugged into R and S and that third line (ground/neutral) plugged into T. Spindle is on UVW with ground in the last terminal with the ground symbol.

And my sincere thanks for your fast reply there

What terminals do you have your HOT-HOT-NEUTRAL plugged into? Have you gone through all the parameters and set them properly?

Justin

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, you do NOT need the NUETRAL. You only need HOT-HOT-GROUND.

Justin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Well, if it's powering up, you got the input power right. I would suspect that this is a parameter issue. You should do a reset on the VFD and then go through all the parameters again. Before you do the reset, make sure you have PD000 for Parameter Unlock set to 0.

Justin

Any thoughts on what 'r00.00' flashing with a flashing FOR light would mean?

MILLER TIME!
    I had pd002 set to 2 somehow. (Source of op frequency). Set it to 0 and it fired up.

I had a feeling that it was a parameter causing your problems. I'm glad you figured it out. Have fun!

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Chromium View Post
    Well, my 220V has three wires and relative to the third, the other two each read 110 and to each other they read 220. So that third one is what I mean by neutral but I probably have the term wrong.

Anyway, I have the two hits plugged into R and S and that third line (ground/neutral) plugged into T. Spindle is on UVW with ground in the last terminal with the ground symbol.

You have it wired wrong. You don't use a neutral, just the two "hot" lines. You should have a ground, though. Neutral and ground are not the same, so it depends on where the other end of that white wire goes to. Not sure why you would have a neutral without a ground.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Chromium View Post

You will destroy your VFD if you leave it wired the way you have it, it may already be damaged, your power input should be 2 Hot wires and Ground only R= Hot T=Hot and your green wire to the Ground Terminal, you are also using the wrong type of cable

Remove the white wire it has no place in this installation
    Mactec54