586,000 active members*
4,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > why am i losing steps...advise ////opinions..

why am i losing steps...advise ////opinions..

i have the gibs so loose that theres no way i can machine this way...
    power supply putting out 48.5 volts
    steppers maxed at 5 amps output
    velocity 70 acceleration 7
    1/8 th microstepping
    everthing is earth grounded.. i have no noise issuies anymore...

but watch the vid and give me opinions... the only thing i can think is to put bigger steppers on it if its actually a lack of torque issue, but i dont think thats the case

Re: why am i losing steps...advise ////opinions..

Have you run the drivers test? (in the mach 3 folder)
    I tried upgrading my mill pc to a newer one but the parallel port was horrible and gave spiky outputs and horrible performance with all the same electronics and motors, went back to the older pc and all ran well again.
    You might think about getting an ethernet smoothstepper to avoid the parallel port all together and boost performance.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

according to the test i can run at just under max speed... im running at 35k ... do i need anything other than the smooth stepper to run with the c35 BOB... the pendant im using is usb... will it work with the smoothstepper

That is one of my areas of dissatisfaction. Finding a computer that is solid running Mach.
    I have had varying results. Smoking speeds in 1 pc only to have it die, replace it and get lousy performance. Odd to say the least.
    Still suffering thru those issues now.
    Do not allow Microsoft updates to run automatically. Select your needs and install them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    A lazy man does it twice.

I know what you mean...I have absolutely nothing oher than mach3 on this computer...the only thing that makes me thimk it is a computer ...possibly software glitch is the fact that it loses steps only if I jog x then quickly add y jog to it...but it works fine if I hit both axis at the same time ......really strange

Im not sure if I should...
    fond another control computer..
    Add smoothstepper
    Do a 2 to 1 reduction on the steppers
    Or go to freakin nema 34s on x and which will require a bigger power supply and drivers

I had a bit of an issue with my computers parallel port as well. It made my steppers make a binding noise while running and they would actually lock up. I was able to get it to a minimum via setting in the bios, but they were still there.

In the end I bought an ESS ( Ethernet smoothstepper ) and everything has been good on that front since. I figured the ESS will let me run mach3 on most any computer without issue should the current computer crap out on me.

My lame vids of my issue before the ESS.
    https://youtu.be/sjAfWMfdReA
    https://youtu.be/STixMnM4IYg

Andrew

Most likely bad breakout board. What are you using ?
    Or drivers.What are you using ?

Whats the acceleration ?
    Drop to 1/10 and report back (about 2-4 secs to top speed).

If at 10% of your acceleration it works, this will rule out drivers and bob.
    Bigger steppers = usually bad idea.

At the cost of 34 sized steppers and good drivers, you can get ac servos for 5x the performance and 5x more accuracy.

The thunk sound when the motors are running is caused by a interrupt in the host operating system, it is why signal generators work better.

I have read of so many things to blame I dont know the truth. It does have something to do with changing the priorities of the RTOS in Windows.

Recently I tried LinuxCnC and though I understand even less of that software. There was plenty of evidence that there were errors there too.
    A lazy man does it twice.

im using a c35s BOB... i have deleted and reinstalled mach3 4 times and each time did a complete resetup to avoid possible mistakes i made the first time in setup....
    for that video i was using 7 for acceleration .. i will drop the acceleratio jreally low and see what happens

at 70 ipm i had to drop the acceleration down to 2 before it would stop and not lose even one step or make the clunk..
    if i drop to 40 ipm the acceleration has to be 8 before it will stop losing steps...

each time pressing the both the x and y jog button would yield a smooth response with no lost steps... pressing the x first then the y would cause the problem or y then x doesnt matter ...if i turn the speed up to 100ipm and 15 acceleration and hit x then y .....the y motor will completely stall until i release the y jog button....but again if i hit both keys att he same time i can run 250ipm at 45 acceleration with no problem ...

how do i check which drivers im running

i know the motors have more than enough power to run the weak cuts ill be making far into the future you know... if the smooth stepper is the answer to a damn parralel port port that doesnt want to cooperate then so be it.... i will put the brakes on everything else, cuz if it wont cut right theres no point in continuing with any thing else..

if theres any other settinngs or secret menus i havnt tried please let me know guys... i know this board is supposed tpo work with either 5v or 3.3 volt paralel ports but maybe it just doesnt ...

can someone tell me what i need ...should i get the ess or uss... i see what looks like the case for like 44.00 that cant be the smoothstepper... i dont want to but the wrong crap...i welcome all and any advice...

WOOOHOOOOOOOO

i got it....
    heres a vid... but ive never been so happy to call myself an idiot.... totally my fault..but its good to go now.. i played with it to 250ipm at 40 accel... of course ill never use it that fast ..
    it turned out to be the shuttle accel setting, i set it to .005 which is just too fast for this particular setup i guess... i plyed with the speed and was happy with leaving it at 100% on the backlash speed and .05 for the shuttle accel setting. 120ipm 15accel on motor settings

congrats!

thankx charlie