585,902 active members*
4,068 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Fusion 360

Fusion 360

I do all CAD work on SolidWorks. Import the SolidWorks file into Fusion 360. Fusion 360 generates all the tool paths (Including 3D). Tormach has a PathPilot post processor which works in Fusion 360.

Fusion is free and works with all CAD programs and stores your work in the cloud making it available to any computer you give permission to. Fusion also has a CAD component. Also the learning curve isn't very steep.

Re: Fusion 360

Quote Originally Posted by Profm View Post
    I do all CAD work on SolidWorks. Import the SolidWorks file into Fusion 360. Fusion 360 generates all the tool paths (Including 3D). Tormach has a PathPilot post processor which works in Fusion 360.

Fusion is free and works with all CAD programs and stores your work in the cloud making it available to any computer you give permission to. Fusion also has a CAD component. Also the learning curve isn't very steep.
    Is this a question?

Btw - Fusion360 is great for CAD as well as CAM. You should try working on assemblies and parts in Fusion360 directly instead of messing with SolidWorks and export/import, it shouldn't be a very difficult transition.

Hah, I tried doing some F360 cad work and wanted to pull my hair out after a decade of professional SW use. CAM is great but I cant adjust to CAD style at all.

If you really want to work in SW, there is a free download of HSM works witch installs into SW, so you can do the entire operation from there. The autodesk HSM works is only 2.5 D, but hard to beat the price.
    Terry

I actually use to use it for 2.5D stuff but last I used it they've limited it down to just Adaptive clearing. Maybe something was wrong on my end, but the lack of contour or facing or etc.. was very limiting.

I'm digging F360 for CAM, that seems to work great. Just wouldn't give up Solidworks for CAD and transferring files is pretty simple. I'll probably try and spend some time using F360 CAD at some point just to learn it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas J View Post
    I actually use to use it for 2.5D stuff but last I used it they've limited it down to just Adaptive clearing. Maybe something was wrong on my end, but the lack of contour or facing or etc.. was very limiting.

I'm digging F360 for CAM, that seems to work great. Just wouldn't give up Solidworks for CAD and transferring files is pretty simple. I'll probably try and spend some time using F360 CAD at some point just to learn it though.
    Not ever true AFAIK, and absolutely not true now. I've been using it for years. It supports a full range of 2.5D operations: Adaptive, pocketing, slotting, profiling, drilling, facing, tapping, thread-milling, and more. And it's called "HSMXpress", not "HSMWorks". HSMWorks is the full $$$$ 3D package (virtually all of which is basically built into Fusion 360 Ultimate. HSMXpress is free for Solidworks, Inventor, and Fusion.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Weird, I definitely have HSMExpress installed and have for more than a year as an add-on for Solidworks but only now have 2D Adaptive clearing. Pulling it up now to see if is still the case (haven't used it in a couple months since I switched F360)

Edit: Looks like I didn't even re-install it since I re-imaged the laptop but looking on the website for HSMExpress, they still support all the 2D paths. Will have to install it on the home machine then for 2D use.

Yep, I called it works when it is express as Ray said, I haven't heard of any changes to using it with SW, but can't say personally, I had the student version of SW and it is expired. Can't justify the purchase for a hobbyist, especially when fusion is free for hobbyist.

Terry

I have student edition at home also because its basically $20/yr for veterans as long as I'm not using it for a business.