585,557 active members*
3,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Aspire > letter engraving (V-carved) newbee help

letter engraving (V-carved) newbee help

I could exposed and have a debate on how I’ve plotted the toolpath strategy, but I think this time....it may be easier to ask what would be the best tool option & toolpath strategy for this type of “simple” work !!...as my end result is not satisfying at all...mostly with the small phone number part. !?!

Here's some info :
    wood plaque size = 3 x 2.25
    Font = Agency FB
    #29 height = 1inch
    phone number font height = 0.25

Any guidance & recommendations would help, as I’m commissioned to do over a hundred of those !!...

Thanks

Re: letter engraving (V-carved) newbee help

Here is the bit I use : Signmaking & Lettering Router Bits by Timberline
    I assume the small numbers are not showing up well due to limited depth. You could try a "bold" number(see jpeg), or a 45 or 30 degree cutter. How about increasing the size of the numbers
    A standard V carve toolpath should work.

Good Luck
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bold letter.jpg  

Thanks for your time MIKE....
    Actually....not quite an issue this depth thing !
    It's more a strategy thing, like....a combination from the font actually making it not as easy as some others and....the right tool for the font size, meaning, having a tool where it would make a clean cut.
    I'd say ( thought I had even before posting this issue first) it'a a kind of situation I'm having where it would be instructive to have a few "verry experianced" Aspire users having an open discution about the possible strategy to use !
    But...this will not happen in a virtual forum.....at least in a simple communicative fashion ;0))

here's a pic of what I'm having as what I call...not satisfying...issue !
    done on a test cherry piece

What you see here is : On the left it was done with a 22.5° bit ( or 45° total) ( see here : CNC V Groove, Miter Fold & Signmaking Router Bits with Solid Carbide Insert Knives - Toolstoday.com - Industrial Quality CNC Bits
    and on the left, using a smaller one, a 15° (or 30 total) like this one ( see RCK360 form the engraving V-bit selection : In-Grooveâ„¢ CNC Insert Engraving System -Toolstoday.com- Industrial Quality Engraving & Signmaking Insert Router Bits

As you can see....the result is fare from nice....I tend to say, mainly cauz of the font style combined with it's inpaired small size ( 0.250 hight)....witch BTW....is in BOLD format @_# !!

It's hard to tell from the pictures what the issue is. Are you looking for cleaner cuts?
    What type of wood is this? Looks like a Luan or similar? Is it possible to seal the wood first? Sealing or finishing first will give much cleaner cuts.

I've never used an In_groove bit, but I don't think that it is the best choice.

Are you doing a V Carve with a flat bottom? For small letters, a 1/8" downcut might be a better choice.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Gerry, thanks for chipping in !!....always enjoy your comments and knowledge @_# !!
    As said, this one is done on a cherry test piece !

It's always "possible" to seal 1st....if it's a solution.....Solution I've never tried before (for engraving), so may be worth a shot ?
    As for In-Groove, it's new to me, in the past, only a few times, I've been using other insert type V-cutter holder such as the above link for the RC-1045 !
    I tend to think thus far, the IN-Groove is not the issue...but more a code "18" !!

Agree as for a downcut mill may give a better output, but in this case, letters width are smaller, I would need say like a 1/16, witch is possible, but for over a 100pc....just to expensive and...time consuming in tool change I'd say ?!!

One of my question is: can there be a difference in ASPIRE toolpath output file if we chose the same tool ( say this RC-1045), but on one test, say I’ve custom plotted that tool as a V-carve tool and on another option I’ve plot the same tool as a engraving tool.
    Would the end result ( output) be (should be) the same, if the parameters ( font selected and cutting strategy same) are equal ?

Just hopping to find a solution to minimize the fuzz and yield a better cut quality !
    BTW...
    As pointed, this test was on cherry, but the commission order is on various type ( exotic as domestic too )

PS...i'v spent many hrs trying to figure out a better output, and it's all worth it as it's a nice learning cure....not to say a must !!....but maybe, just maybe....i'm battling this for nothing and should sub it out to an laser etching / engraving since the letters are maybe just to small to be engraved by a woodCNC ??....questioning out loud ?!?....in my view, we (wood CNC users) should be able to do this ?!??

Looks like you are doing a Vcarve with a flat bottom?? Using a Vbit with a 60 or 90 degree (with no flat pocket toolpath ) cut to full depth will give you a cleaner cut. That assumes a flat at the bottom is not a requirement.
    What were your tool path parameters?
    Added a picture of a Cribbage board done in pine with flat bottom and standard vcarve parameters with the cutter I suggested and had no issues like you are seeing.
    Did you have a final pass step over in the tool for final cleanup?

Mike

The more I look at your pics it almost looks like you were doing a regular "pocketing" and the tool was leaving scallops at the stepover point, Yes , No??

Mike

Mike...

In the V-carve test setup, no...no flat bottom, but yes when I test in "engrave" tool set up !
    As for flat bottom, no need from the client, not required.
    Tried it with a 90° total angle, but it seem to be "to wide" for the small letters.....but perfect for the bigger # 29 !!

As for parameters, a screen shot tells more.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clip_2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Mike 1948 View Post
    The more I look at your pics it almost looks like you were doing a regular "pocketing" and the tool was leaving scallops at the stepover point, Yes , No??

Mike
    NOp...

I though you may enjoy my finding with quite a satisfying final output !
    I owe this forum this at least !!

Finally, I've set it up with a 60° V-carve tool.
    The setting are : Attachment 310676

and the output....which I'm pleased with ... Attachment 310678

Thanks Mike, Gerry