584,862 active members*
5,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PCNC 440 enclosure

Has anyone made a diy encouse for the 440?

Re: PCNC 440 enclosure

I'm in the process of building my diy 440 enclosure and hope to have it finished in the next few weeks. The last of the parts I ordered are arriving this week. I'm using the chip pan as a base with angle aluminum attached vertically at all four corners. The angle aluminum at the front will be cut at the base so I can angle the front in. I'm using 1/4" polycarbonate sheets for the front sliding doors and roof. I'm using 1/8" acrylic for the sides and back. I'm using sliding door track attached to horizontal angle aluminum that will attach to the two front vertical posts. I've probably spent approximately $300 or so on materials so far.

I recently built an enclosure for another mill but have a few thoughts on making one. Are you planning on having a lower track for the door to slide in? I was thinking about doing this originally but decided not to. I thought a lower track would tend to build up chips and be difficult to clean. I have my doors suspended from above only no lower track at all. It works fine and no chip build up. I built the sides from sheet steel and the front doors are polycarbonate. The rear doors are actually pieces of plastic(left over vapour barrier) held in place by magnets.

I greatly overbuilt my enclosure and its not finished yet. The cheap plastic at the back of the enclosure works great for containing the coolant. The front doors that are just hanging also do an excellent job of containing the coolant. I still need to put in some stiffeners at the openings around the doors. Its fully functional though. I'm also planning on adding in a couple of those square LED lights.

Tom

I was planning on having a lower track for the sliding door. It is a dual track, with fixed side doors on the inside track and moving doors on the outside track. I'm hoping I can protect the outside track from chips getting in through the door gap with some neoprene tape. The doors are also angled in so I'm hoping they'll stay flush enough with the inside part of the track so as to not let any chips get in. We'll see though! Should be easy to replace the doors with a better solution if I run into problems.

Hi Guys - Here is a compact enclosure design that could be scaled down to suit a 44o

Keen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCzBvsG-L5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nce61DPQQ44

Quote Originally Posted by mattz0r View Post
    I was planning on having a lower track for the sliding door. It is a dual track, with fixed side doors on the inside track and moving doors on the outside track. I'm hoping I can protect the outside track from chips getting in through the door gap with some neoprene tape. The doors are also angled in so I'm hoping they'll stay flush enough with the inside part of the track so as to not let any chips get in. We'll see though! Should be easy to replace the doors with a better solution if I run into problems.
    I see some of your logic about supporting the non moving parts with the track. I did it in a different way. I supported the non moving parts with a home made c channel riveted on to the panel. The way I made it there is no place to catch the chips. One thing I did notice is there is nearly no movement of the doors while running. I was planning on adding a lower track if needed. I would recommend if you can building without the lower track. It can always be added later if you feel its needed. If not you can save some work and money. If you do go with a lower track I'm interested in knowing how it works out. My moving doors do overlap a bit so it prevents chips and coolant from getting out.

When I first started running the machine it had no coolant containment. It soaked the walls in every direction even with my futile attempts with makeshift shields. Proper coolant containment makes machining a lot nicer.

If you want I can post a couple of photos. Its mostly done except for the stiffeners around the door.

Tom

FWIW here's a 770 enclosure I made from 8020 that could be scaled down for a 440. I do have a bottom track for the doors which does unfortunately collect chips. I like the drawer slide idea in the video, but one nice thing about my current door design is that the doors can slide completely off.

https://lensprojects.wordpress.com/2...diy-enclosure/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk