585,715 active members*
3,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Original Emco120P Spindle DC motor under Field Waekening Control: Done!

Original Emco120P Spindle DC motor under Field Waekening Control: Done!

Hi all

I found a dead and cheap ABB DC drive (4Q) capable of field weakening control from base speed (1700 rpm) to max speed 6000 rpm.

After replacing the dead Thyristors, updating the firmware, the ABB DCS800 was good again for about $500. I think this cost is well worth keeping the original spindle.

The ABB software (drivewindows) had a neat Wizard which make the comissionning of the drive relatively manageable.

The dive requires that an encoder be attached to the shat of the spindle motor (speed ratio not allowed) for setting the various loops for the field weakening.

The field ajustment was made using EMF as a feedback while speed optimization loop used the encoder (differential) with 900 ppr, which give 3600 ppr within the drive frequency of 300KHz.

The spindle fan seems be a 3phase 380V which happens to be the voltage required by the ABB drive.

I plan to to use the C32 analog output to drive the ABB drive (not clear from the doc, how one uses the internal relays of the c32 for CW and CCW)

The original Stepper motors for the X and Z axis are under vexta 110VAC drivers, taking Step/Direction from CNC4PC C32 bob.

Now I have to sort out how to configure:

-the ATC (from Andrew Barrow) within Mach3.
    -Lubrication pump (220VAC) - how often to turn it on ?
    -Original air valves
    -Cooolant pump: 3phase voltage ?

Any pointer or info the above issues will be appreciated.

Daren

Re: Original Emco120P Spindle DC motor under Field Waekening Control: Done!

Quote Originally Posted by darenfs View Post
    Hi all

I found a dead and cheap ABB DC drive (4Q) capable of field weakening control from base speed (1700 rpm) to max speed 6000 rpm.

After replacing the dead Thyristors, updating the firmware, the ABB DCS800 was good again for about $500. I think this cost is well worth keeping the original spindle.

The ABB software (drivewindows) had a neat Wizard which make the comissionning of the drive relatively manageable.

The dive requires that an encoder be attached to the shat of the spindle motor (speed ratio not allowed) for setting the various loops for the field weakening.

The field ajustment was made using EMF as a feedback while speed optimization loop used the encoder (differential) with 900 ppr, which give 3600 ppr within the drive frequency of 300KHz.

The spindle fan seems be a 3phase 380V which happens to be the voltage required by the ABB drive.

I plan to to use the C32 analog output to drive the ABB drive (not clear from the doc, how one uses the internal relays of the c32 for CW and CCW)

The original Stepper motors for the X and Z axis are under vexta 110VAC drivers, taking Step/Direction from CNC4PC C32 bob.

Now I have to sort out how to configure:

-the ATC (from Andrew Barrow) within Mach3.
    -Lubrication pump (220VAC) - how often to turn it on ?
    -Original air valves
    -Cooolant pump: 3phase voltage ?

Any pointer or info the above issues will be appreciated.

Daren
    Hi you can check this thread for info about valves, lubrication pump need to be turned on every 20 m of travel for 8 seconds, for coolant pump I bought small VFD from hitachi.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...42-cnc-14.html

If you search for Emco 120 yahho group you will find manuals for 220 , you can read it so you will have idea how to connect valves or just read what I wrote in my thread.

Hope this helps.