585,715 active members*
3,994 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Turning question: I.D. ACME thread in Mori Seiki CNC lathe

Turning question: I.D. ACME thread in Mori Seiki CNC lathe

I need to make a LOT of 1/2" thick ACME nuts with a 1/2"-10 thread inside it. Have you done this on a lathe and if so, what kind of tooling did you use? I want to avoid tapping it in my VMC if possible but I have literally spent dozens of hours over the past year not coming up with anything for tooling. It hasn't been a high priority up until now but in the next month I need to setup for testing and production. Ideally I'd like something with indexable carbide inserts but I could suffer with solid carbide tools if necessary. I know the cutting forces are much higher with ACME threads than conventional types of threads but I'm fairly certain I can work around that for my purposes. At this point my worst case option is going to Burchett tool, which is a high end custom manufacturer or endmills and cutters right by my house in Kalamazoo, MI and having tooling especially made but I thought I would ask her first.

I find it hard to believe there are not tool holders from Iscar or the like with indexable tooling but I do not find it hard to believe that I'e had a rough time locating said tooling~
    EXIT 85 Manufacturing "The best custom wheels, period" (www.exit85.com)
    Experts in low volume, highly complicated, one-off forged aluminum wheels

Re: Turning question: I.D. ACME thread in Mori Seiki CNC lathe

You will not get the right form if you thread mill them unless you have a 5 axis machine. If you do it with a 3 axis machine you will may get a nut that can be threaded into but the helix angle is too fast and the tool will be cutting where it shouldn't be.

Wait... I misread, sorry. Single pointing in a lathe is fine. MSC has solid carbide tooling. I haven't seen any inserted tooling that small

LoL, yep lathe... Any idea on the longevity of the tooling from MSC? What would I look it up under? I know I have checked and for some reason never find it, it's like I have a computer virus that blocks all tooling capable of doing this.

Single Point Threading Tools Thread Type: 57091787 - MSC

MSC is hard to navigate sometimes. There's a lot of options for coatings and length of cut. As for longevity I do not know what material u are cutting but they last a good bit..

That'll do it, thank you! Hopefully I can find a miniature indexible unit in the future but this is WAAAAY better than nothing.

To answer your question, we will be doing mostly brass and 303 SS, along with 6061 that will have a hard anodized coating.