585,962 active members*
3,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: dxf help

dxf help

Hey guys, I'm trying to get this to extrude in solid works but solid works hates it. we have found that none of the lines actually touch, there are like 1700 or so gaps.. solid works will not repair said gaps. I've had a few others attempt as well and we all ended up failing. The problem is obviously with the original artwork from an unknown source and program.. Does anyone have a program or software to import a dxf and fix the lines on one plane? I have spent countless hours on this my sanity is hanging by a thread....lol

Re: dxf help

Ok Devin,
    Its a good thing I'm retired and love a challenge. I was able to get the lines all on one plane finally. I used PrintoCad to create a PDF of the dxf file, then used it again to create a DXF of the PDF, this put all the lines on one plane stacked on top of one another. (Deep breath) Then I used Aspire to import the DXF and delete the duplicate vectors and join the remaining lines together. I then exported the DXF out of Aspire in 2 different formats, lines and arcs.
    As you can see by the Jpeg you have a lot of double nested shapes that are not conducive to metal cutting unless you attach them somehow. You will have to do a lot of selective picking of shapes to extrude all of them in Solidworks.
    It was a interesting challenge.
    Good Luck
    Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: dxf help

Mike YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! sad part was i spent 15 hours trying to clean it up on solidworks then finding the lines were all gapped.... It was running soooo slow because there were so many problems but i was hoping it was just dangling lines.. aewsome!! now i can get it to work. Thanks again Mike you saved me from an alcohol induced ulcer.