584,837 active members*
5,677 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > Limitations of Fusion 360

Limitations of Fusion 360

I am having a little trouble finding simple answers on F360 website. I have dounloaded the trial but I want to get some answers before I invest to much time. Hoping some of you that are familiar with the package are willing to answer.
    Can I create standard prints with a tittle block etc.?
    Other than being 3d what are the limitations of the software?
    How well would this stack up against an older version of VGibbs?
    Can I make toolbars from the drop down menus similar to old version of AutoCAD?
    What will AutoCAD do that F360 wont?
    Finally if this will do everything the other higher end packages will, then why would anyone use something else? $300 a year is a huge bargain compared to even BobCAD at around $1500 for the full package after discounts.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm-Sir Winston Churchill

Re: Limitations of Fusion 360

I am having a little trouble finding simple answers on F360 website.
    Probably because the answers to your questions aren't that simple.

Can I create standard prints with a tittle block etc.?
    Yes. But if you're comparing Fusion to AutoCAD, it's a very different process.
    Also keep in mind that Fusion is still under development, and a lot of features have yet to be added. Drawings are one of the newer features in Fusion 360, And a lot of work still needs to be done to make them better.

Other than being 3d what are the limitations of the software?
    Not sure what you're asking? Are you saying that 3D is a limitation?

Can I make toolbars from the drop down menus similar to old version of AutoCAD?
    Not exactly, but you can do this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuoOYr7DoCA

I still use a single custom toolbar even in modern versions of AutoCAD. I also use a custom right click menu for most common commands. In Fusion 360, you'll find that the right click menu is very fast and powerful.

What will AutoCAD do that F360 wont?
    You're comparing apples to oranges. Two very different programs, used in very different ways. And a program that's been evolving for 30 years to one that's been around for maybe 3 years?

In AutoCAD, you draw your drawings. In Fusion 360, you make models, and the drawings are derived from the models.

Finally if this will do everything the other higher end packages will, then why would anyone use something else?
    A lot of people are afraid of the "cloud".
    And Fusion can't do "everything" that all other packages can. Again, it's a new program, that's still being actively developed, and probably will be for quite some time. It really comes down to whether or not Fusion 360 will do everything that YOU need it to do. There are weaknesses in a lot of areas, but they are constantly being addressed.

$300 a year is a huge bargain compared to even BobCAD at around $1500 for the full package after discounts.
    A lot of people wouldn't go near BobCAD at any price. Even though it may have more CAM options that Fusion 360 at this time.

I'm not sure if anyone really knows where Fusion 360 will ultimately end up.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Not sure what you're asking? Are you saying that 3D is a limitation?
    That question was a little unclear. What I meant was 3-axis CAM versus 4+ axis CAM.

In AutoCAD, you draw your drawings. In Fusion 360, you make models, and the drawings are derived from the models.
    This may be a limitation from my old school way of thinking. I hand prints to guys in my shop and expect them to return a part. Many times we run off of simple 2-d sketches rather than models. From what little I have done with Fusion I dont see that as a problem.

A new question. Is the license limited or can I install on as many machines as I want? I would assume that I can only have the file open on one PC at a time unless I pay for multiple registrations.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm-Sir Winston Churchill

The "license" is basically on the server. You need to log into your account to use Fusion. So, while you can install it on as many PC's as you want, I'm going to assume that you can't log in on more than 1 PC at a time.

That question was a little unclear. What I meant was 3-axis CAM versus 4+ axis CAM.
    Fusion will eventually have 5 axis, so I still am not sure what the question is. I believe that it does some 4 axis stuff right now.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

BOOM IS THE WORD!
    I hope that this post inspires anyone who waches this video....

Victorofga- They are using inventor not fusion 360. At least thats the way I heard it.
    On a side not. I always get a chuckle from videos like that. Every job shop I know of including my own is no different than that one. Except maybe he has some big investors willing to back him.