585,933 active members*
3,815 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > PlasmaCam > Operate your ONE DesignEdge seat from a remote computer

Operate your ONE DesignEdge seat from a remote computer

I did a bit of digging and discovered that I can operate my Samson 510 table's PC (running DesignEdge) from a remote computer. In the video below, I am designing and using the software exactly as if I were sitting at the table's PC (with a slight time delay lag for Internet crossover) and I am running my DesignEdge software through an iMac!

The best part ... it is FREE!!!

https://youtu.be/oHoEPHY2OLE

Re: Operate your ONE DesignEdge seat from a remote computer

That is pretty neat man!

The delay thing vs a using actual copy of the software, still gets me aggravated. Any sort of delay causes me to get distracted when I have tried this. I guess, I couldn't rely on this completely If there is ever a problem with my internet connection at the shop and it prevents me from getting something important done. In that scenario it could cause me big issues. Also, I have more than one person that use the software for design work, that have a need to have a copy of the software installed on computers that are away from the shop. I have found that there is not a way that more than one person can all use and access the software program for design work at the same time without having those extra modular copies of the software in place on computers when away from the machine. I do often times use remote access to my shop computer so that I can drag and drop files for employees to cut out that I have designed when I am away. Most of my ideas come when I am away from the arcing and sparking that takes place daily with in the shop. Therefore I find it ideal in my circumstance to be have an a fully unrestricted version of the software that I can access and that can used remotely if my machines is being used while I am out of the shop.

Pretty neat though for the one man show (as long as your cool with the delay, which for some may not be so bad ). But, not very efficient for my particular situation with all of the extra people involved which often times can be all working with designedge at the same time. In my case (not in any way speaking for others, whom may conduct their particular operations differently than I do), having those additional copies of the software available for my people to use when needed allows productivity and overall design time to be three times as productive on any given day. For me, the relative small cost of an extra license is pretty easily paid for from the get go. Again, my situation could be vastly different from someone else's. I still find this to be a relatively neat concept though. Thanks for video contribution brother! It is always nice to see a visual demonstration to compliment a post.
    JAG

Quote Originally Posted by plasmaMac View Post
    That is pretty neat man!

The delay thing vs a using actual copy of the software, still gets me aggravated. Any sort of delay causes me to get distracted when I have tried this. I guess, I couldn't rely on this completely If there is ever a problem with my internet connection at the shop and it prevents me from getting something important done.
    That is not the purpose of the remote access. The delay is almost unnoticeable when using the program, however it did seem more apparent while I was recording a video of my remote use of thew other computer.

In that scenario it could cause me big issues. Also, I have more than one person that use the software for design work, that have a need to have a copy of the software installed on computers that are away from the shop. I have found that there is not a way that more than one person can all use and access the software program for design work at the same time without having those extra modular copies of the software in place on computers when away from the machine.
    Exactly what metal fabrication shop do you run, that has a sweat shop full of Chinese immigrant designers seated at rows of tables straining under the weight of dozens of PCs, working in smoke-filled rooms, churning out hundreds of new and different cut paths for a PlasmaCam table?

I understand that you wish to discourage the "free" use of DesignEdge by another person when an additional (AND OBSCENELY EXPENSIVE, imho) "seat" has not been purchased, but for the greatest majority of PlasmaCam and Samson 510 and Go Torch owners who ARE "One-Man Shows", this is a great alternative to plunking down another $498.00 for a "seat" so the table owner can design on the PC in his or her home while sitting in pajamas, rather than going out to a cold shop (or driving to one) in the middle of the night, JUST to work out an idea that popped into his or her head.

In my opinion, DesignEdge should COME with three "seats" already, one for the PC that runs the table, one for the PC in the office or den, and one for the laptop that the table owner can use when vacationing in Jamaica, while his kids splash in the pool and smoke pot with the locals. It is particularly offensive to a person who plunked down a huge sum of money for a "Hobby Table" to have to pay out another $996.00 just so his wife and daughter can each work on that idea for grandma's Christmas gift.

I do often times use remote access to my shop computer so that I can drag and drop files for employees to cut out that I have designed when I am away. Most of my ideas come when I am away from the arcing and sparking that takes place daily with in the shop. Therefore I find it ideal in my circumstance to be have an a fully unrestricted version of the software that I can access and that can used remotely if my machines is being used while I am out of the shop.
    Really. How many employees do you have working on PCs on any given day, churning out your trainloads of original metal art and/or metal brackets, HVAC ducting and such? With all of the designing your international PlasmaCam team does, I should think all I'd need to do is look out through my window to see new and different metal art that was created by your massive corporation.

Pretty neat though for the one man show (as long as your cool with the delay, which for some may not be so bad ). But, not very efficient for my particular situation with all of the extra people involved which often times can be all working with designedge at the same time.
    I'd like to come see your operation. I cannot imagine a metal shop of the immensity you are describing. I CAN imagine that you are just trying to discourage PlasmaCam/Samson 510/Go Torch table owners from avoiding the $498.00 "Additional Seat" charge.

In my case (not in any way speaking for others, whom may conduct their particular operations differently than I do), having those additional copies of the software available for my people to use when needed allows productivity and overall design time to be three times as productive on any given day. For me, the relative small cost of an extra license is pretty easily paid for from the get go. Again, my situation could be vastly different from someone else's.
    Honestly, I think you are blowing smoke up my a*s.

I still find this to be a relatively neat concept though. Thanks for video contribution brother! It is always nice to see a visual demonstration to compliment a post.
    JAG
    I am not your brother.

Dude, Chill out. Who cares!

Thanks for your opinion. It didn't work out form me. Big deal man.

Your huge discovery is not all that great for my particular situation and realistically is a awfully bad idea for most people.

I am one person and one shop out of many out there that uses one of these machines In all honesty, remote access thru and internet browsers and a free plugins that help facilitate this, like you can do with chrome, and a variety of other & similar programs or applications that been available for quiet some time (and also hacked into for quiet some time as well), are not a new discovery. Stuff like this has in one capacity or another has been available for a really long time! Joe, other plasmacam owners have done this. This is not your idea, nor is it new. It was not that great then, nor is it now.

There are reasons why I think stuff like this are extremely stupid most of the time, especially if you have any common sense and perhaps wanted to protect your home, family and business.

Are you so arrogant that you that it didn't cross your mind that I may have my reasons why I don’t do the things that you do? And that it may have absolutely nothing to do with you? Go figure!

Anyone who has ever worked for a small to large corporation, most likely would agree that this is not that exciting. AND Will tell you the same thing: Remote access to software programs and being able to use them to control things like machine are .. not new, but over he last 15 years instead become a huge security risk! And indeed it has! Many times certain measures are not taken in order least make it harder to keep unwanted access out. Most folks are not only naive about risks, but totally clueless about even taking the smallest precautions.

If you can't figure out why your idea, may not be the best idea for what I do, and can't handle someone that does not share your opinion, and get so riled up over nothing.

Or if my personal OPINION, caused you this much grief. Then it was purely unintentional.

Sure someone out there might think that your suggestions are the greatest things ever?

But not me. My opinion shouldn’t mater to you.

If you let something like this concern you this much and really think that this is some sort conspiracy targeted attack on you …BECAUSE your sadness is so….. important to me… you’re dreamin’

BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER

BUT if you want to really know why, you might understated that it really has nothing do with you.

For all I know maybe you can't afford or don't want to pay for a seat license. Am I supposed to care about why you do the things that you do, why would I? What you do somehow effects me? Sorry to disappoint, but it really doesn't. You'd be extremely arrogant to think that anything you, Joe Jones, do or say, really maters to me or anyone else.

If you pirated a bunch of any software and handed it out for free and were smart enough to not get caught, my personal opinion would be that you totally earned it man!

So if what you are proposing is so awesome and wonderful (and its not), why would people even care to listen to me. Is there anything holding them back? Its free right, Joe? and like I said, the ability to do this is not new. So wouldn't it be logical to assume that this would be something that everyone would be doing if it actually was a huge benefit? I know this, and the fact is it is pretty stupid for me to say that this in any way a good idea for what I DO, personally, and may be only me. So if you think that you are so smart and that People have some how never figured out how lame and this is for more than one person who is helping you, then you are kidding yourself.

Maybe it didn't cross your mind that other people may not be as cool as Joe Jones? You really think that there isn't a whole lot of people that run business that are much bigger and better than what you do. That didn't cross your mind, Joe?

That people actually use there machine as part of their business, with people showing up work? Other people actually Work, and have employee's, and run a legit business, is this a foreign concept to you or something? Employee doing specific things that may require someone thing different than what Joe thinks? Really?

You really think that you are the first to attempt this, Joe?

Only someone with a lot of idle time on there hands to waste
    would find this cool. I really don't, and many other don't either.

Jasper, quit with the B.S. You WORK for PlasmaCam.

"Brother from another mother" means we have the same father, which we do not.

This thread is closed. You've all degenerated this thread into a flame war. You've all contributed to it. Any more posts of this nature will result in the posters being banned.

Grow up.