584,857 active members*
4,645 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Steel Frame Router Build

Hi Everyone.

I thought I should start a project log for the router I am currently designing and will build over the course of this year. The router will have a machining volume of 900 x 720 x 180 mm (35 x 28 x 7 in.). Linear motion will be supplied via ball screws and profile rails on each axis. I haven't decided on stepper or servo motors as yet, but I will include all of my calculations when I start making that choice. The frame and gantry of the machine will be welded steel throughout and I will have all critical surfaces machined for me by someone locally (with a big mill). I hope to have all tube sections of the frame and gantry rotary laser cut with locating tabs and slots (yet to be included in the design) to make life easier when welding the structures. I have heard that this can be hellishly expensive however, so I might need to scrap that idea after getting some quotes. The Z axis components will all be machined aluminium.

As I mentioned, this build will probably take the rest of the year. I want to make a decent machine, which will mean spending some cash on contract machining, laser cutting, ect. Hence, I will be taking it slow as to not implode the bank account along the way.

Attached are some images from Solidworks of the design thus far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ISO_080316.JPG   Front_080316.JPG   Side_080316.JPG  

Re: Steel Frame Router Build

Design looks really solid however you might want to consider dual drives for the 'Y' axis to avoid potential racking. A single drive is sufficient for smaller machines but as the table width increases so does the possibility for racking.