585,708 active members*
3,805 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Cutting fluids for Aluminum

Cutting fluids for Aluminum

I have been using MobilMet S122 for working with aluminum using about 5% solution and flood coolant. To clear chips I have the spray on with a good bit of pressure.

My concern is the effect on the air quality for the shop and any health effects that might result from breathing the mist and droplets of the stuff plus it gets on my skin.

What type of precautions do people typically take when working with this stuff? I guess I should check with Mobil but I figured this might also be a place to ask.

I am thinking about the idea of someday building some Plexiglas shields for my machine to cut down on the over spray and was also thinking of building some sort of fan exhaust system but I am not sure how I a priority I should put on the shielding and exhaust project (i.e. how bad is exposure to this stuff?)

Thanks in advance

im not sure about the brand iv never used it, but your going to get it on you you have to take the part out and well i think any machinist will tell ya you cant help but breath it but we arnt dead yet i think if there was any real consern mobi would tell you
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Mist collector