584,833 active members*
5,596 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > USA Club House > Hi . I'm new to owning a cnc machine. I got a 3040 800w water cooled cnc today but th

Hi . I'm new to owning a cnc machine. I got a 3040 800w water cooled cnc today but th

Hi . I'm new to owning a cnc machine. I got a 3040 800w water cooled cnc today but there is no controller.

This is all i got. No controller. Where do I find the electronics to run this?

Re: Hi . I'm new to owning a cnc machine. I got a 3040 800w water cooled cnc today bu

first check on if it were sold...
    mightbe some error..

if not error, and it was sold without control, then ask the seller first if he has...

if not then google where you can find very similar machines, and ask if they sell..

next try kelinginc..

take pictures about cable ends make sure you get something works out of the box

Re: Hi . I'm new to owning a cnc machine. I got a 3040 800w water cooled cnc today bu

Quote Originally Posted by victorofga View Post
    first check on if it were sold...
    mightbe some error..

if not error, and it was sold without control, then ask the seller first if he has...

if not then google where you can find very similar machines, and ask if they sell..

next try kelinginc..

take pictures about cable ends make sure you get something works out of the box

Thank You for your reply.
    The Seller said it was a mistake and they will ship the controller, 4th axis and water pump.
    I was very worried that I had got ripped off. But the quality of the machine was so good I figured I would give the seller a chance .
    I had to check every screw and bolt on this thing. Most were loose but that is to be expected. I hope it runs as good as it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGlenn View Post
    Thank You for your reply.
    The Seller said it was a mistake and they will ship the controller, 4th axis and water pump.
    I was very worried that I had got ripped off. But the quality of the machine was so good I figured I would give the seller a chance .
    I had to check every screw and bolt on this thing. Most were loose but that is to be expected. I hope it runs as good as it looks.

May I ask how much you paid for it? I've seen one very similar to yours. That machine is fine. It will do the job. BTW, I recommend car coolant for water pump. If you use tap water, you need to replace it more often as the spindle will get clogged eventually.

It started off as $800 USD but it has since led in to way more.
    Problem 1. All the soft ware was in Chinese. Totally useless. Tossed it in the trash.
    Solution to problem 1 is to buy Mach 3 and Art cam basic. around $400 total.
    Problem 2. Small range and to do what I do I need a vacuum hold down system.
    Solution to problem 2 Build one my self http://www.joewoodworker.com/docs/ProjectEVS.pdf
    Cost around $500
    Problem 3. Cross Threaded lock nut on the Y axis trashed the bearing .
    Solution $80 in parts.
    And many many more things.. I'm not going to even go into upgrading to USB or No limit switches or no Zero pad. It takes a lot of thinking to get around those. Dust collection system.. $450 AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH its driven me CRAZY!
    RE: Dust collector. When I ran the numbers my shop vac was 6 HP and a dust collector is around 1.5 hp and lots quieter. Also the micron count causes problems with both health and airflow. So you need a separator and vent the rest outside. But that also causes problems . Example if ur blowing 850 cubic feet per min out a window then there goes all ur heat or AC in mins.
    RE Heat and A/C Loss. There is a way with peltier devices and a few 100 watt solar cells that air coming back into the building can be cooled or heated for free. Still working on that.
    IT has taken me form the time this topic was originally posted until now to create a assembly line type of production for this machine.
    I have to admit I love it. It is soo much fun figuring this out. I wish I had $5000 to get a new complete system but building all this stuff has taught me sooooo much, not to mention i get to use most of the stuff the USAF taught me..
    This is a picture of one of the first finished products. It is a small mahogany box mad for keeping banjo picks or Steel Guitar pick in. I get tons of free scrap wood and I'm trying to go small so I can keep the small byproducts from going to waste.

Despite of the hassles and troubles, $800 for a 800W water-cooled 3040 is a steal. IMHO, CNC router is unlike car or bike, you need to look into details in order to work flawlessly. My company owns so many 5-axis machines (some cost more than $400000), and they also have their own problem to deal with.

Yes i think it is a great deal. I do wish it had a manual and parts list so when things break i know what to order. I also wish it had up grade kits. Like limit switches and a zero pad.

I think a great deal especially see the prices of 800Watt watercooled spindle with controller alone..
    http://free3dscans.blogspot.com/ http://my-woodcarving.blogspot.com/
    http://my-diysolarwind.blogspot.com/

Yes i think it is a great deal. I do wish it had a manual and parts list so when things break i know what to order. I also wish it had up grade kits. Like limit switches and a zero pad.
    You can buy three normally-closed switches and wire them up. Make sure your BoB has 3 input pins left. I installed 3 switches and used them for homing. You may not need limit switches since limits can be software controlled on Mach 3 or Mach 4. Zero pad can be simply a metal washer. Connect it with ground pin and attach a alligator clip with the probe pin. Use the alligator clip on the drill bit, and you are done. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Cosmic,

I'm like you, I bought a cheap chinese 3040 a year ago and have really enjoyed it, you were wise to get the 800W vfd spindle, 800 bucks! My 3040 came with a wimpy 300W, which I wanted to upgrade, but the entire z axis carriage and spindle clamp is one extrusion, changing the spindle diameter is impossible. I found a 450W same diameter, then a 600W 100V but this turned out to be a piece of junk with crappy bearings. Now I overdrive the 450W with the 100V power supply, so far so good. Mach3 and Artcam express are both great, especially artcam. I thought a usb controller would be nice, I could run off my laptop, so I bought a cheapo usb to parallel port cnc card. It dropped steps. I bought a tinyG and run chilipeppr, but I couldn't stand the latency. Mach3 is the best. My original 3040 was only 650 shipping included, but I have spent at least another 1500 on spindles, electronics, tooling, and software.
    I've had a lot of fun, mostly v-bit and relief on hardwood. I like it so much that I just bought and put together a inventables 1000mm X 1000mm xcarve to do larger hd urethane and mdf. I also went with mach3 and parallel port driver, I bought an old laptop to run it.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by grouchy View Post
    My 3040 came with a wimpy 300W, which I wanted to upgrade, but the entire z axis carriage and spindle clamp is one extrusion, changing the spindle diameter is impossible.
    Have fun!
    You may ask the seller for an upgrade. The specific spindle clamp (let's say 80mm) of your machine is the most important. Once you have it, you can use up to 2.2KW spindle motor. BTW, you need to upgrade the inverter also.

CosmicGlenn - had to chuckle as i read this thread because you have so hit the nail on the head. It is so much fun, yet so frustrating at the same time. I to started off with the 800/900 dollar model and to date have more than doubled/tripled that cost getting my machine "up to speed" Here is where i am at currently.Attachment 331170 . But the thing you can create - im still learning but im getting there. Currently working on the lighted plaques which i find very interesting. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fam5.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	331172

I will try that.
    Any chance you know what happen to artcam express?. I think they went out of business. You know of any similar priced software?

have any of you guys had the spindle shut down on you? I have the 800kw water cooled unit and it has ran perfect for a couple years but tonight it is being an ass. I switched out the vfd controller board and it does the same dam thing. apparently its in the spindle? any advice. it runs for 5 minutes then gives an error code. you hit stop and then run again and runs for another 5...help

man that easy stuff and you could build a controller for around 100 bucks via ebay components.
    Hi . I'm new to owning a cnc machine. I got a 3040 800w water cooled cnc today but there is no controller.

This is all i got. No controller. Where do I find the electronics to run this?

Quote Originally Posted by maxair View Post
    have any of you guys had the spindle shut down on you? I have the 800kw water cooled unit and it has ran perfect for a couple years but tonight it is being an ass. I switched out the vfd controller board and it does the same dam thing. apparently its in the spindle? any advice. it runs for 5 minutes then gives an error code. you hit stop and then run again and runs for another 5...help

Did you check the error code? What is your VFD controller?

Quote Originally Posted by maxair View Post
    I had that problem. It ended up being the wiring was bad. I made new cable and not it works fine.