585,880 active members*
8,015 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Trying to source Lifting Equipment For Non Magnetic Billets

Trying to source Lifting Equipment For Non Magnetic Billets

Good morning all, I am having difficulty sourcing lifting equipment for a job that will be arriving shortly.

The billets that I need to lift onto the CNC Milling Machines are approx 12 x 6.5 x 3.25 (300mm x 165mm x 85mm) 316 stainless steel and weigh approx 75 lbs (35 kg)

We have automatic cranes next to each milling machine but I need a way of holding the billet for the lift. We can sling the billet for the 1st op but subsequent ops will be done off the flat datum face located on a fixture plate so no where to get a sling in.

We are based in the UK but if anyone anywhere could advise me on the type of device I need then that would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Re: Trying to source Lifting Equipment For Non Magnetic Billets

- A welder's G-clamp (with a ring welded onto it's rear spine for the crane hook ) ?
    - A lift trolley ( hydraulic )... slide the stock onto the table
    - have the stock material available at table height...."no lifting"....just transferring

[ just putting ideas out there ]

Are they mill finish or smooth? 5 in^2 of vacuum would lift them (though I would use 10-15 in^2 for factor of safety).

Something like Ice Tongs? They increase grip force as weight goes up. I suspect someone makes something for applications just like yours.

[also just putting some ideas out there, not responsible for lost toes or feet due to dropping of billets...]

Camlok "TBG/TST" Scissor Block Grab - Range from 200kg to 5000kg - LiftingSafety

Stone Magnet - HSS Hire
    CAD, CAM, Scanning, Modelling, Machining and more. http://www.mcpii.com/3dservices.html

Thanks for the help, I managed to find a local company who specialize in lifting systems. They have a product which is perfect for our requirements, Scissor clamps which I am guessing are the same design concept as the "Ice Tongs" mentioned by mcphill. Superman, I did mention using a big G clamp and sling but our Health and Safety officer turned a strange shade of white

Many thanks