586,009 active members*
5,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > torn between carvewright and High-Z cnc router

torn between carvewright and High-Z cnc router

Hi!

I saw this post with the carvewright and I can see it can produce some wonderful and quite complex Akantus design and carving signs etc..

But I have "almost" bought the High-Z cnc router and wonder if you can get some 3D pictures and make the same result on the cnc router. (the high-z software can mill in 3D and import cad file etc..)

Maybe you could buy the drawing from carvewright!?

any idea and input will make me happy.

Cool Thoughts to ponder

Tom:
    one of the key things you need to consider about the Sears, Woodcarver machine is the limited size of your work piece. Also something to consider is that this is a glorified dremel tool at best.

As to the High Z CNC machine. I am not very familiar with this machine, but with the limited info I have seen, it appears to be more on the lines of a low end ( but true) CNC machine. It will only be limiited in its' ability to 2.5 route wood or other materials by the driver programs you choose.

Just my :idea:

But you have to remember :withstupi

Bob C.

thanks for input. I know the size will be an issue with the carvewright. But do you think if you could get the same pictures/drawing as the carvewright, you could do the same on a cnc machine!? the result from the carvewright look very impressive. so I just ask because I am pretty "green" on cnc

www.vectorart3d.com

Tom,
    check out the website above. The software profiles will work on most CNC machines if you have the proper driver programs installed on your PC.
    this is the company that is suppling some of the fancy scroll work for the Sears carvewright machine. They write files for the www.carvewright.com router company. Carvewright is the company that is manufacturing the Sears unit.

It seems to me {if you don't mind critisizm} you are in way to much of a hurry to buy a machine, {ANY machine} based on the "hype" of sears advertizing promotion. I fully understand your' enthusiasum, been there, done that!

Take a step or two back, and learn as much as you can BEFORE making a move. (chair) Especially a move that will remove hard earned dollars from your wallet. I have been researching and collecting parts for my CNC machine build for almost one full year, and still have some unanswered questions. I have bought some items that did not work, (chair) and others that are going to make my machine run fantastic. :banana:
    Tom, again, I will repeat GO SLOW. Anything worth doing, is worth doing well.

regards,
    Bob C.

thanks again. I guess it is always good to go slow. maybe I save some more and buy a bit more high quality cnc.

Bob,
    very sincere advice. I am not cnc man no knowledge about but very much interest in cnc machining. I have been reading most of the post but never jumpe in it. I am in same situation as Tom was. I want to buy one cnc carving machine to use for soild wood. As I know nothing about cnc so could decide which one pick. I was very fesinated seeing the results of CARVEWRIGHT, at edge of buying one. Have you ever come across a good one with servo control ... Is it possible to make a good one at home. I can do all machining have facilities. Please advice. One question is it possible to covert a manual mill machine into a cnc one without spending. I have two manual milling machine one knee tpe and other bench type. I want to go for bigger carving machine. Thanks

Regarding your question " Is it possible to make a good one at home". The answer is an unqualified YES!!
    Check out this site. www.mechmate.com

following this gentlemans' lead, you could easily replicate his efforts and have a fully functional machine in your work space for around +- $ 4000.00 U.S. dollars.

I have chosen a different route, but if I was starting from scratch I would definately pursue this build.

regards,
    Bob C.