585,555 active members*
3,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: VFS5 FAN

VFS5 FAN

Its been way to short a time for me to be back for help but I sure hope I can find some anyhow...

I have an arrow 1000 with 2100 control. This morning I started it up and hear a loud fan. Open the cabinet and its the spindle drive fan . I cleaned it up and it seemed fine, now its not working at all. Will this cause any problems elseware? I have no overtemp alarm but, I just started to get this overcurrent fault light on my x drive bds4 (and alarm 39-53) after about twenty minutes of running fine. Turn it off and refire and its fine for another 20 min. ??? I am going to pull the spindle drive and see if I can find a fan for it, but I am in deep here, I dont know where else to start.

Thanks for the help

Re: VFS5 FAN

Pm sent

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The spindle drive fan should be a readily available unit. If you have trouble finding a replacement, let me know I may have one in stock.

But,...this shouldn't have anything to do with your x axis overcurrent fault. This is most commonly associated with motor or cable issue but can be drive as well.

When you say it ran for 20 minutes twice, did it fail at the same point in a program? If so, possibly a short in the cable that happens at that specific point.

Another thing to check is remove the cover over the x axis ballscrew coupling. If there is evidence of moisture, coolant is likely getting through the support bearings (which will fail because the grease washes out), and if the casting fills with coolant, it can get into the motor.

as usual, maver1ck is right on with testing for shorts. Another indication is if you remove the rear cover (4 phillips screws) of our motor and a quart of coolant runs out, we need to repair the motor often we can clean it, revarnish the windings and rebake them to repair this the first few times the motor fills.

If anyone DOES find a source for the VFS5 fan, please share it as we have only 1 source and we must modify what we receive to make it fit/work as no direct replacements have been found for years.

Thanks Maver1ck and Mike,

I ordered a new fan, it will not be here for a few days. I cant wait that long- so I removed the VFS5 and cleaned all the soot and gunk from the fan and the interior of the amplifier side (fins) . Removed the fan axle cover and oiled lightly. Put back together tested and it works for now. It has been in the machine all day and I have no overcurrent alarm at all. When the new one comes I will replace.

Thanks again. I am going to check those covers you guys are talking about too ,, now you got me worried .HA

Muggins,
    If we can help you in the future...

The FivesMSI-Cincinnati Tech Support number is 1-859-534-4750 8-5 EST USA
    For the UK built Verticals ask for Greg Wood; if Greg is out ask for Mike Trunk. Please have your machine serial Number i.e. "70xx-x0x-xx0123"; Model Type i.e. "ERO" and control Schematics i.e. "9120xxxx" from the back plate on the outside of the electrical cabinet.

part # 70K9513 at Newark Electronics, $55.50 back in Jan.

If you kept the back door closed and replaced the gasket around the door and plugged any holes in the cabinet you would not get gunk in the fans as you described. You should think about adding an air conditioner to the electrical panel and closing off the upper and lower fan openings in the cabinet and disconnecting the cabinet fan. This has worked very well for my customers to reduce heat related problems with the machine and control. Fans do fail but should not be filled with oily greasy residue that stops them from working if the doors shut and air filters are kept clean. What about the heat exchanger fins in the drive, how do they look?? Just saying.

MIKE CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

The Siemens drives on our Arrow 500 and the Mitsubishi drives on our Mazak 200 lathe poke through the back of the cabinet so the fans and heat sinks are outside. On the Arrow 500 at least you can slide under the cabinet and look, can't see the Mazaks. Sometimes you just gotta clean fans. On the Mitsubishi units the fans have in-line connectors so the wires can be disconnected and the fans removed from outside the drive. You still have to open the drives though because there's not enough slack to pull the connectors outside to separate them, very funny Mitsubishi! The Siemens Simodrive fans can be removed from underneath and cleaned/replaced (Digi-key has them, I have part #s around here somewhere) if you're skinny enough to work under there. However that won't help dirty heat sinks. Just sayin'

Attachment 318922 Attachment 318924

Found Siemens fan part# from Digi-key, 381-2368-ND $31.50 back in April 2014 40mm x 40mm x25mm