509,931 active members
3,508 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 4 of 5 2345
    Registered
    phatfred8, we recently bought the same machine at an auction, we are going to use it to mill aluminum, UHMW and mild steel for brackets. it needs work and I was wondering if you found ANYTHING about this machine online? parts? manuals? anything.

right now it's missing the quill stop and gauges and now it seems that the clockwork spring has been over drawn.

the hope is to possibly overhaul it and add the CNC portion back in. I was wondering how difficult that process is and what your expenses were to make that happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

We still have original controls and books on machine & control.As for finding anything Tri-Onics dont build or offer much support anymore.There is a guy that still deals with the Glass Scales.Let me know what u want to do.My opinion forget messing with the Tri-Onics control its not worth it.Its WAAYYYY slow.As for Mach 3 conversion i think the total was about $2,500 maybe $3,000 for all the electronic parts minus the computer.(as we already had one)The control box we made.Let me know just what u need and ill try to help.
    Troy

Registered
    we were always going to update the control system, my problem now is just the quill. the machine isn't under power yet so there is no way of test anything else. I was told it was working when it was bought and I have no reason to not trust the guys we got it from. if you have anything that shows how to breakdown the mill head/quill area that would be helpful. if there is any way I could get a copy if the manual for the machine that would be a great help. I already know that there is a piece of the one-shot oiler that isn't attached, I just don't know where it goes. and without the quill depth gauges on I am not sure what the face of the machine is suppose to look like, if I did I could at least get some parts machined to fit.

thanks

Here is JPEGS of manual,for heads assembly and parts lists.Let me know if thers somthin u cant make out or somthin else needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Head Top Housing.jpg   Head Top Housing parts list.jpg   Head Top Housing 002.jpg   Head Top Housing parts list 003.jpg   Spindle Housing.jpg  

Spindle Housing Parts List 001.jpg   Spindle Housing Parts List 2.jpg  

Dont know if these pics will help or not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Quill 001.jpg   Quill 002.jpg   Quill 003.jpg  

Registered
    You are the MAN!, I greatly appreciate this. I'll let you know what happens!

Thank ya. Just trying to help,as many has helped me with this project.

Registered
    I know this thread is old, but if you have the side box but no head, then you can interface to the unit directly via serial.

The side box is a full centroid CNC3 unit which accepts G-code and does a bit of conversational as well...

Just hook up to it with a serial port, 2400 baud, 7E1...

It's a full menu driven system. Not the fastest in the world, but a whole lot faster than the Trionics interface up top.

Registered

Smile

An update on my progress,

yaddatrance: I scraped the control of the side and sent the parts to Sam in one of the earlier post.

Well as for the status of my machine it still sits in the same spot with nothing getting done. At the beginning of the year I started a part time machine/fabrication business and it has taken off real well. So I have been working on paying jobs most of the time. I am just finishing with a automated welding fixture for a customer and could have used the mill for a lot of the parts. Basically kicking myself in the butt for not working on it little by little. So at my day job we have off a few days at the end fo the year and I am working on freeing up some of my time to work on the mill. Basically I have most of the parts and started laying them out in the panel. Mount Motors, Encoders and other parts. I will keep you guys posted.

Brian M.

Registered

MILL RETRO

HOW PROJECT COMING?

Registered

Question

hello yaddatrance how do you know the control is centroid? how about a tri-onics apprentice mill with servos and csr contraves controlls?

Registered
    hello yaddatrance how do you know the control is centroid? how about a tri-onics apprentice mill with servos and csr contraves controlls?
    I would like some more info on this as well. The shop I work at has a Tri-onics that is fully operational. Its down fall is waiting on the comp to process its next move. If I could boost its performance a bit they may see its capabilities and do some real improvements

Page 4 of 5 2345