585,956 active members*
4,436 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > auto Z origin on lathe
Page 1 of 4 123

auto Z origin on lathe

Hello, i have a lot of parts with different lenght. I use a finger-mill (Maxis ) to refresh/correct frontal.

Because of their different lenght, i cant xyxyx them at left, but i must use a "caliper gauge" or "depth gauge" to xyxyx them at right, so to have the same Z in front.

xyxyx - i dont know english word, but i think you get it )) ... i guess is "place/settle/buffer/push", but none sounds good to me

I lose too much time placing the parts.

This is the program :

M110 SB1234 M13 M08
    G0 X0 Z2.5
    G1 Z-1 F0.12 G95
    turret right
    turret leaves

I need something like this :

M110 SB1234 M13 M08
    G0 X0 Z2.5+10
    CALL OZORG
    G91 G1 Z-1 F0.12 G95
    G90
    turret right
    turret leaves

.....OZORG
    .....G1 Z_left until M axis effort raises
    .....RTS

Please, does someone has some magical variables / something to make this work ?
    This is an operation from classical sector to numerical, and i must not deliver same parts within a longer duration.
    If i cant beat/equal classical time, than there is no use ...

kindly ! pleeeaseee ...

Re: auto Z origin on lathe

1. chexk if the machine is equipped with load control. User task2 ...?
    2. You have the variable. Check the axis screen and You will find "DIFF" data which directly responds to axis load.
    Can You draw a bit specific how the face position will be detected by the load of M ?

Hello, i looked into parameters for that variable, but i did not find it ... also, i am not so much into that area ..
    Also, my dealer just update my OSP and i can tell that some interfaces changed in parameters tab.

Please, i have atached movie clips, one with parameters windows, and one with parameters list ... please, can you help me to locate them ?

kindly !
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are you trying to detect the part by using load rather than a sensor?
    If yes then it can be done using the G22 torque skip command.

Put a rod in to a boring bar sleeve and calculate its offset to Zero on the front of your part. Then put following line into your program:

G22 Z-1 PZ=40 G94 F50 D.5 L.2 (feeds to Z-1 unless load reaches 40%. Will start searching for part at Z.5 and will stop searching at Z-1.2.)

Then you will need to read the machine position once it stops. V1=VAPAZ (sets variable 1 = Actual Z position)

You may need to do some math to determine how much to shift since this reads the machine position.
    VZSHZ=Zero Shift on Z
    VZOFZ=Zero OFFSET on Z
    VSIOZ=Zero Secondary Incremental offset on Z

So amount to shift would be V2=VAPAZ-VZSHZ-VZOFZ-VSIOZ

Then in your program shift to new origin by VSIOZ=VSIOZ+V2.

Zero should now be at the front of your part.

I've nicknamed this technique "senseless gauging" ;-) It's standard on most newer Okuma's except 700U control from what I've seen and Deadly accurate.
    If you get an alarm that says torque limit over, you may need to set your torque limit parameter to something like 75%.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

hello wizard ... what is a "rod" ?

Also, i cut with M axis, and i lose time if turret indexes from static holder to driven holder.

If i would go using a static holder, i think i would use a sensor, rather than a "rod", because i believe that "rod" puts effort over Z axis, while the sensor does not.
    Also, i don't have a sensor, but i think that it works withoud loading to much the Z axis.

So, please :
    - can you reroll your precious information for M axis holder ? so tool will be spining before the contact ocurs
    - what is a rod ?
    - can you show me an example using a senzor : code, senzor infos, because sounds nice and maybe i willl use it sometime ...

all the best

Rod is any type of shaft such as a drill rod, boring bar end from cutoff etc. that can be used to stop the turret by applying a slight load. Some people use bump stop or toolholder.

Since you have no sensor, this is the best way. Do not worry about Z axis load, you can adjust using PZ= but it will need to be something higher than what it takes to jog the Z axis. G22 is very sensitive and only needs to see 1% difference to stop axis, but 15-20 % is no problem. Okuma reaction time is very quick.

This feature was designed to transfer parts between spindles, so W axis will feed until part is seated against chuck jaws, then stop, clamp and retract. They made available for all feed axis when they developed it, so lucky you!

If you don't want to index, you could use the side of the holder, but you may eventually leave a mark.

Please use my example. I would not offer it if it would adversely affect the machine...have faith my padawan.

thank you ... i'll try it

hello

Code:
    T121212
    G29 PZ=15
    G22 Z-1 PZ=12 D3 L0.2 F50 G94
    failed a bit ... i guess i have to set "Parameter word No. 71" ... please, where can i find it ? kindly !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 01.JPG  

They have relocated it to the Load monitoring parameter page on your machine. It is also located in the WORD section of the BIT, WORD, LONG WORD section.

Quote Originally Posted by OkumaWiz View Post
    They have relocated it to the Load monitoring parameter page on your machine. It is also located in the WORD section of the BIT, WORD, LONG WORD section.
    hello, i find it

it seems all variables from parameters are also listed inside a register, so it means that values are not only displayed, ready for input, but contained with a recorder :

displayed info
    ....english : upper limit of ...
    ....and i guess more languages
    value : word
    maybe position reference : parameters list #17
    etc

i really find okuma interface a really too futuristic for 1990 this type of data block for each variable makes it easy to handle, and it means that you can remove all windows interfaces, and replace with new ones, without losing stability ... even more, you might work without the interface, maybe with API

registers for variables is not vital, you can keep it on paper ... but in such a form it speeds up some operations ... actual interface looks a bit old, while such records tell that there is something well organized ... you know, keeping stuff just functional, while design can wait

G22 worked, but after that i have a G0 to release contact between tool and material, and i have an error

only G22 works fine, without G0

only G0, without G22 also works

is there a way to cancel G22 mode ?

i guess machine handles that G0 with some conditions for G22 ... so, yes, G22 works, but i can not continue after it

PS : i go to the mill now

ha, found it, is G28 lucky me

I'd say that your upper limit of 16 is way to low. You should be around 20 for G22 around 40 for G28 limit and around. 50 for Max setting in parameter for example. Feed and circumstances will cause numbers to change somewhat.

Best regards,

hello mr Wizard that was just an example, and after, i played a bit with all those to understand them ... i am still under the hood with that ... it's ok so far
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

G22 Z-1 PZ=40 G94 F50 D.5 L.2 (feeds to Z-1 unless load reaches 40%. Will start searching for part at Z.5 and will stop searching at Z-1.2.)
    hello mr Wizard, what is purpose for "L" ? it allows movement to continue after end point ...

as you said, because G22 was intended for parts transfer between spindles ... so this "L" trigers somehow the same behaviour like ±OK. DIST from tailstock setup ? ... only -OK. DIST i guess ...

if you modify end point with "L" distance, and after you put L=0, i think it makes no difference for " senseless gauging " ... kindly !

You are correct. L value is the amount the axis can feed past the target point before an alarm occurs from "no contact". You will not want to have L=0 since the part length may vary from target and it will not allow any movement past the theoretical target. So essentialy D is your Minus but OK and L is your plus but OK similar to a gauging cycle or the tailstock screen that you show.

Best regards,

PS> How can you be scaring mice at the north pole from Antarctica?

hello mr Wizard, and thank you for all tips

i managed to put G22 at work, and results were excelent : i had a slippery bar puller, Zorigin tended to vary a lot, so i always correct bar puller travel, to put Z back

it couldn't be easier ... always when i setup something, i hit into everything

i have attached a file with all needed infos to have "auto Z origin" working on lathe hope someone will find it usefull

for pin-point users, here is a subroutine that handles slippery Z origins, and protects against crashes if Z gets too away
    - travel=2*V1
    - V7 controls how much Z origin is allowed to vary between 2 consecutive parts
    - V8 controls how much Z origin is allowed to vary from an absolute point, so to avoid crashing
    - just edit values before ( * )

Code:
    V100=...
    VSZOZ=V100

OS...

V1=+2.5         ( Z_start )
    V7=1            ( origin tolerance 1 ) ( 0 < V7 < V1 )
    V8=20           ( origin tolerance 2 ) ( V8 >>> V7 )
    V6=25           ( target load on Z axis )
    V4=50           ( feed G94, max 500 )

( * )

V3=0   ( tolerance for V2 )   
    V2=-V1 ( Z_end )
    V5=5   ( feed correction )

CALL OZCK2 ( origin Z axis check 2 )

G00 X=VSIOX Z150-VETFZ
    T050505 M66
    G00 X0 Z+V1

G29 PZ=60
    G22 Z+V2 PZ=V6 D-V2+V1 L+V3 F=V4*V5 G94
    G28

CALL OZCK1 ( origin Z axis check 1 )

RTS

( . . . . . . . . . . . . . . )

OZCK1

CALL OLOG

IF [ [ ABS [ VSIOZ ] LE V7 ] EQ 1 ] GOTO N01 ( true  )
     IF [ [ ABS [ VSIOZ ] LE V7 ] EQ 0 ] GOTO N02 ( false )

N01 ( OZCK1 true )
         VSZOZ=VSZOZ+VSIOZ
         G00 ( X375-VETFX ) Z150-VETFZ ( M203 )
         GOTO N03

N02 ( OZCK1 false )
                ( '                ' max length = 16 )
         VUACM[1]='TOO FAR1'
         VDOUT[991]=999
         M0
         GOTO N03

N03 ( OZCK1 end )

RTS

OLOG

CLOSE C
     FWRITC STAMPZ.TXT;A

PUT '    '
     PUT VSZOZ
     PUT '    '
     PUT VSIOZ

WRITE C
     PUT ' '
     WRITE C

CLOSE C

RTS

OZCK2

IF [ [ ABS [ VSZOZ – V100 ] LE V8 ] EQ 1 ] GOTO N01 ( true  )
     IF [ [ ABS [ VSZOZ – V100 ] LE V8 ] EQ 0 ] GOTO N02 ( false )

N01 ( OZCK2 true )
         ( nada )
         GOTO N03

N02 ( OZCK2 false )
                ( '                ' max length = 16 )
         VUACM[1]='TOO FAR2'
         VDOUT[991]=999
         M0
         GOTO N03

N03 ( OZCK2 end )

RTS

hello again mr. Wizard >:D<

please, i try to setup tailstock to auto-set ... so far i failed ... this G22 PW=30 D.1 L.15 W0 F50 and this G29 PW=15 raised same attached error ...

please, as i have highlighted some text there, it seems that G22 works only on X and Z ... so G22 works on W only when it is the 2nd spindle ?

i guess this is because tailstock is not rigid conected to w axis, but it has in between that "elastic/compresion element", through which is possible to setup pressing force [ kn ]

i guess G22 PW... trigers motor behaviour, the one that rotates the ball screw, while on a tailstock it should triger the "elastic/compresion element" ...

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

an alternative solution would be to increase ±ok. distance, limited at 3mm max ... kindly !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 02.JPG  

The tailstock uses it's own "software macro's" for positioning and uses the load inside of them for positioning, so no, the tailstock will not use G22 to position. It is not a true W-axis like a sub-spindle is.

As you can see by the chart you attached for the tailstock, it is using the load to calculate tailstock thrust, so all of it is taken care of with the tailstock software.

Best regards,

PS> how did we get to tailstock from Z origin...?? ;-)

how did we get to tailstock ?
    hi i restart crafting my 1st part on lathe, that i did ~2yrs ago program gets a huge revision .. i use 2 "senseless gauging (SG)" positions, and after 2nd, tailstock comes in

i thought to eliminate 2nd "SG" and use the tailstock instead ... would be nice if i could make it work ... but i guess i can't ... i know that is possible, but not for mere mortals

still testing setup ...

Page 1 of 4 123