584,833 active members*
5,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc 18M Will Not Startup After Grid Power Issue That Damaged Multiple Components !

Fanuc 18M Will Not Startup After Grid Power Issue That Damaged Multiple Components !

I have a Fanuc 18M controlled VMC that I have been chasing a trail of damaged components that I believe was caused by a grid power surge or spike, due to not only this machine but another machine and a couple Computer power supplies that were damaged over-night.

I first replaced the Spindle Amp, a Servo Amp and PSU, after replacing, the CPU indicated that it could not startup up based on the Alarm LED's on the CPU ( Top 4 GREEN, Bottom Middle RED). I sent the CPU Board ( A16B-2201-0080) out for testing/repair with no result.

So I replaced the CPU board with a new one, and used the Modules from the damaged unit. On-Startup I received the same Alarm LED's. I then replaced the processor module (A20B-2900-0930) & the spindle module (A20B-2900-0900) thinking that they may have been damaged.

On start-up the CRT briefly flashes and that is about it. I have trolled through Forums and Maintenance manuals for more information with little luck. Any thought would be helpful.

Is there a softkey combination or some other boot procedure that I can try with this unit ? I would like to take a hammer to it.

(image attached of LED Alarm)

Thanks.

Re: Fanuc 18M Will Not Startup After Grid Power Issue That Damaged Multiple Component

That is a 18A control. Any module could be damaged. Without either testing the modules on a known good control or replacing the cpu with another known good one (complete with good modules), you will have a tough time. Call me Monday 2893896117.

I have the same problem. Please help me

Re: Fanuc 18M Will Not Startup After Grid Power Issue That Damaged Multiple Component

Please tell us in detail what the problem is.

Lütfen sonunu banada bildirin

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
    I have a Fanuc 18M controlled VMC that I have been chasing a trail of damaged components that I believe was caused by a grid power surge or spike, due to not only this machine but another machine and a couple Computer power supplies that were damaged over-night.

I first replaced the Spindle Amp, a Servo Amp and PSU, after replacing, the CPU indicated that it could not startup up based on the Alarm LED's on the CPU ( Top 4 GREEN, Bottom Middle RED). I sent the CPU Board ( A16B-2201-0080) out for testing/repair with no result.

So I replaced the CPU board with a new one, and used the Modules from the damaged unit. On-Startup I received the same Alarm LED's. I then replaced the processor module (A20B-2900-0930) & the spindle module (A20B-2900-0900) thinking that they may have been damaged.

On start-up the CRT briefly flashes and that is about it. I have trolled through Forums and Maintenance manuals for more information with little luck. Any thought would be helpful.

Is there a softkey combination or some other boot procedure that I can try with this unit ? I would like to take a hammer to it.

Thanks.
    Personally, I would disconnect everything external to the rack, leaving only the power supply and keyboard connections necessary to get the NC to power on. Then work my way through by connecting things in sequence. The "parts cannon" rarely works and is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post

Thanks.
    LEDs indicate the system is stopped before the cpu is activated.
    Out of interest I'll investigate via the maintenance manual:-)

If you have a back up try powering on while pressing 7 + 9 keys down. This deletes the memory which might be corrupt preventing CPU power on.

As far as i know pressing the 7+9 key will bring you in the IPL menu
    for deleting the sram data you have to keep pressing whie booting the RESET+DELETE keys
    After that you need the back up to restore or printed version to enter the data manual
    Good luck on this 1

"As far as i know pressing the 7+9 key will bring you in the IPL menu" but only AFTER deleting all sram data; for IPL only, hold the 'period' and 'minus' keys while powering on.