585,761 active members*
4,132 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fab@Home 3D Printer

I hope this is in the right section?

Saw this and wow!

an open source 3D printer that costs just $2,400. The self-assembly kit is part of what they call the Fab@Home project. Finally, rapid prototyping made affordable!
    http://www.newscientisttech.com/arti...volution.html#

http://www.fabathome.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://web.mae.cornell.edu/ccsl/temp...bDemoMovie.wmv

What can you say? – Wow - I guess says it all.

did some youtubing

I saw these videos on youtube.com and was agreeing WOW and its also a future project. I make lots of things out of plastic and after a cnc stepper project I will have much more knowledge and the ability to make the parts.
    Building Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 105%
    Finishing Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-] 95%

I want one please?

wow is right. I'm drooling now. Blender3d exports .stl files. David 3d scans objects, and now this.

Pass the drippy drool cup

leave me out

I'll pass - I still do things the hard way.
    Dan

I have been scoping this for a while. Has anyone made one of these or seen 1? I want to make 1 but have not had any free time.
    Cutmore

Havent seen anything but the vid...

BUT!!! for us CNC DIY'ers I was thinking... could i place an additional small stepper to push plunger down to excrete the silicone drop. move the X and Y to next spot on the second layer raise the Z and repeat the silicone drop pattern again and thus build upwards to full height of Z a silicone item as they did it?

Meaning - could we adapt a tool onto the Z axis to in essence make a reverse cnc path for Z and build something rather then cut it down?

thoughts?

I will work on some thoughts on this too.
    Building Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] 105%
    Finishing Stage:[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-] 95%

replace spindle with extruder

You probably could just replace the spindle on a 3 axis machine with an extruder and run your file. I don't know how the software of the fabber works yet but sounds do-able with any of the routers or mini mills out there.

Are there any free plans to download this?, or is it basically you buy the kit which is too expensive.

Oracle its a little hard to navigate his website but all of it is there for free. The plans and software. It really looks like if you have a router table you could in sence could build this pretty cheap with only having to buy the electronics and material. Also I think you could convert your 3 axis router as well. Just take mach3 and goto the last line of the gcode-hit run from here-reverse-start. The onlything that I would worry about is some of the cams that are outer there have a hard time doing undercuts and hollow areas. So you might have to build your model in layers rather that just one peice.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_9 View Post
    Are there any free plans to download this?
    http://www.fabathome.org/wiki/index....For_Solidworks
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You might also want to look into the RepRap -- if it takes off the way they designers envision it should end up very cheap. At a talk this last october, they were envisioning the cost of building one to be around $400.
    C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot.
    C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off.

3d printer kit

I still feel this is a little expensive, any thing else?

Unhappy Fab at home BUT... + basics of 3d printing

Hi,
    I've been fascinated by 3D printing for a while and saw this project on u tube a week or 2 ago.

My initial reaction was Wow also but whilst i admire anybody doing anything inovative particularly open source ther seemed to be a lot of catches to this.

if you download the assembly destructions you'll see that from the construction other than the extruding head itself the unit is a essentialy a small cnc mill in other than name.

if you price up the parts you'll see that
    (OR AT LEAST I BELIEVE THAT FROM MY UNDERSTANDING OF IT)
    ..you'd be much better off using a homebuilt mill/router as most of us are/would like to and just fashioning an extuder.

My reasoning for this is that the construction of the FAB machine will prevent it from ever milling(as they say themselves - not designed for side loads as non generated by extruder) whereas even the crudest form of working homebuilt mill will carry this extruder.(i'm essentialy thinking of a Rockliffe type affair)

whilst the aim of the project is admirable and the documentation extensive
    most of the development seems to have been making the main unit from cnc cut plastic,this only does what a mill does,as far as extruder development,the unique part of these concepts goes their currently using a motor to push a syringe plunger down and saying to experiment with feed rates.
    This is what any of you cnc whizzes would be at after a few days experimentation isn't it ? the first thing we'd try is a syringe.
    The guy mentions on U tube video they've sold them to an artist looking to generate sculpture and a gov.t project somewhere looking to allow people in remote areas to produce stuff in house rather than ship it in but when you look at the quality of the product produced so far i couldn't help thinking these people should have gone somewhere else.

Sorry i lied about innovation...they did make the whole torch including conductive track extrusion, that was cool idea..

***** For me the most intersting part was the revelation that at least 1 of the commercial rapid prototyping machines uses standard Hp cartridges (as in inkjet)The Fab people say you'd need to partner with HP or decypher a too complicated control circuit to drive these to be practical.

..But i you compare the pro machines creations they're talking about the resolutions of the Cheapest(read 5K GBP) machines as 300dpi (although the curves don't look as smooth as say a similarly sized curve printed on paper on an old printer of this resolution.(good enough for many things mind)

So.. you got a pro machine which is essentialy a mill that generates no harsh sideloads,using cheap readily available inkjet cartridges why would you not be persuing this more???

no homebuilder could ever produce the piezo heads etc. but working out a driver (and remember this'd be equivalent to on/off the black ink not proportionaly or colour either) will surely have a way shorter development time to create something very useable than syringes.
    I've actualy seen something like this already in ELECTOR electronics magazine or similar already for a different app.
    (i mean fudging with print head)

they seem to be reinventing the wheel

the process is actualy a little more complicated (PROFFESIONAL EQUIP. not FAB )in that as well as extruding the resin (like printing black) you need to print another liquid (wax type) where you want the voids rather than leaving it bare (white paper)
    This is to support possible printing above on the next layer (otherwise any void would have to carry on up through product.The creation then gets immersed in warm/hot water and wax melts leaving resin intact - voila!
    Oh yea, the resin is a special sort that solidifies upon exposure to U.V. light
    so you need 1 of them to shine a bit after each complete layer is laid downand the unit needs an enclosure so you only get light from lamp hardening things and your room doesn't strobe when your using it (not insumountable is it)

O.K. then so it's 2 colour printing in a box with a sunlamp !!

I'd be intested to know what you lot make of this.
    hopefully this doesn't come across as an attack on a great innovation,rather if you really look into how could you recomend anyone going for this system as it stands for anything remotely like this money ??

THE QUALIFIER TO ALL THIS IS I'M ONLY THEORY CNC BOY AT THE MOMENT
    - but look into it and the above info is basically good.

you may neeed to shield print head from u.v during exposure etc .and nothing is as simple as it looks but as i see it cracking somebodys print head is the main obstacle to us all getting cool 3D with less chips anytime soon and its conceivable.

I believe that this is the best prospect because if we all develop the syringe idea by the time we get acceptable resolution PC world will be selling comercial units.(and i don't think we ever will get good res.)

The cheapest 3D printer i found few months ago was down to about 5K GBP and it's only going to go down.

for years i've wanted to get 3D organic models out of the PC's virtual world (because i'm not a very good sculptor - i can do 1 half great but not symetry in anything like a reasonable time)
    After looking as much info as i can find i'm E baying for 4 axis mill bits on ebay for foam milling bacause it seems the only chance at my goal.

I'd love to be able to 3D print particularly as i've got 1 room in lodgings and chips and noise won't be that practical but at the moment 'tis the only way -

- other than bureau 3D (much the same as we'd have got a 2D print years ago B4 cheap inkjets) again reducing costs but still not quite there,accessible.

Best regards to you all, especialy if you stayed with this till the end

Cheers Ross

Smile 3D World Magazine

Several pages in 3D world mag this month where they've sent a CAD model file to about 8 3D printers to compare pricing,service technology etc.
    comitment to get 1000 dollar machine on market within 3 years (quality machine fully ass.)

same co. have one out late 07/early 08 for $5000 it's 25"*20"*20" 90lb desktop machine
    www.desktopfactory.com is the co.

sites of interest

www.3drg.com
    www.3darttopart.com
    www.frippdesign.co.uk (colour parts)
    www.ipfl.co.uk
    www.rapido3d.co.uk
    www.thinglab.co.uk

Ross

Wayne Hill

do it in paper!

Im not sure on the cost of this, but it seems very attractive to me if it was less than 5 grand US or so, but wouldn't this be a cinch for us to build at home?

KATANA