585,744 active members*
4,692 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

The Tormach Tooling?

Hi Guys

Before I get started let me just say that I think the Tormach Tool System is one of the neatest I have seen for use with an R8 Spindle. I hear some people complaining that it is on the light side because it uses the R8 Spindle. I don't understand the reasoning behind this misconception? Most of the Hobby CNC Milling Machines or converted Manual Mills, use the R8 Spindle with a Horse Power Rating of 2 or less. If you look at the average Knee Mill, 3HP and lower, the R8 Spindle is standard equipment. I for one cannot see any problems with using this Tooling System on a CNC Mill in this same Horse Power range. On to my Question.

My question is in regards to the minimum Z Axis Travel with the Tormach Tooling System. I understand that this depends allot on what type of tool you have installed in the Tool Holder and also what the size of the part is on your Table but on average, what would you say would be the minimum Z Axis travel? 8", 10", 12", 15" ? For all I know, maybe the 16.250 of the Tormach is not enough? Please understand that I am a beginner CNC Machinist. Thanks for your thoughts.

Regards
    Willy

I don't quite understand your question, but rest assured the TTS does not limit your Z axis any more than standard R8 tooling.

Also 16.5 in is a lot of space.

Wayne

Hi drwc

What is the minimum amount of Z Axis Travel you could have and still have a good useable CNC Milling Machine when using the Tormach Tooling System? 10 inches? In other wards, would it be just as good a machine as one with 15 inches of Z Travel?

In my opinion, a CNC Milling machine that has 10 inches of Z Travel is going to make it awkward to change Tooling? Hope this helps explain my question.

Willy

Where did you get 10" for the Z axis travel from. Check the spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Willyb View Post
    Hi drwc

In my opinion, a CNC Milling machine that has 10 inches of Z Travel is going to make it awkward to change Tooling? Hope this helps explain my question.

Willy

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Where did you get 10" for the Z axis travel from. Check the spec.
    I am not talking about the Tormach Mill,(which I Know has a Z Axis Travel of 16.250) I am talking about CNC Mills in general.
    If you built a CNC Mill that had 10" of Z Axis Travel, would that be a bad thing as far as for changing Tooling?

Willy

Well it kinda depends on what type/size of work you are going to perform and what size and variation in tool length that work is going to require. Obviously 15" is preferrable to 10" but then 20" is preferrable to 15". How well can you define the type of work you will perform and how much money do you want to spend on flexibility?

Sorry but I think it's a bit of no brainer type question.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Willyb View Post
    I am not talking about the Tormach Mill,(which I Know has a Z Axis Travel of 16.250) I am talking about CNC Mills in general.
    If you built a CNC Mill that had 10" of Z Axis Travel, would that be a bad thing as far as for changing Tooling?

Willy

You only need about three inches more than the length of your tooling for total clearance between the spindle nose and your work.

It's much less distance than you would need to change out the R8 collet. About the same as if you left an R8 collet in and switched from one end mill to another.

That said, a standard length 1/2" drill bit in a drill chuck in a standard R8 system might be a pain after awhile with only 10" of Z travel.

You would never be sorry to have that extra capacity, even if you had to save up a little harder, in my opinion.

--97T--

Hi Guys

Thanks for the help with my question.

Willy

Maybe I am remembering wrong but it seems I read that with Tormach tooling you lost a little space compaired to R8 tooling. If this is not true then Tormach looks like a good bet to me. Maybe I have been reading to much and have my info crossed ( very possible). Or maybe I am just missing something here. Newb I am.

Jess

You loose a little due to the extra toolholder length, but you gain a lot on the required space for tool changes because the shank is much shorter than an R8

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by LUCKY13 View Post
    Maybe I am remembering wrong but it seems I read that with Tormach tooling you lost a little space compaired to R8 tooling. If this is not true then Tormach looks like a good bet to me. Maybe I have been reading to much and have my info crossed ( very possible). Or maybe I am just missing something here. Newb I am.

Jess

I see, makes sense now.

Jess