584,817 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Step through g-code window

So I loaded PP today on another computer to play with and everything went smoothly (slightly surprise there)

Loaded an existing program to see what it looked like and noticed a couple of things.

When I double click into the gcode window, the line highlights, but when I tried to arrow down to the next line the machine jogs...... Didn't expect that.
    In mach, you could step through the code in the window and see the progress in the toolpath window. I found it was a good way to quickly verify a program and spot any potential weird moves. Don't seem to be able to do that anymore.

Also, as I ran the program (cutting air) it stopped at a certain point and rewound the program to the start. Once I figured to look over at the status tab it said there was a movement on a certain line that was going to exceed the axis limit. Great, actually a good thing to know, except that finding it out in the middle of the program was no better than actually hitting the limit switch.
    Is there no way of simulating the program run and having it figure this out prior to actually starting a part? Sort of related to stepping through the code above?

Just newb questions
    Thanks

Re: Step through g-code window

Interesting, points there.

One thing I do find annoying is that if a line of code is not right, the user is taken to the status window away from the code window.

We have an error on line 200 in our code but I see no line numbers, Line numbers would be a lovely addition/tweak.

A step thru the code could be done if you add a manual tool change between each line, this would in effect pause your code.
    Not sure if there is a pause option in G-code but it would be nice. Or a wait for input.

And while writing I decided to look this up and found that actually you can do it several ways.

Prompt to change the tool or....

http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/...ml#mcode:m0-m1

2. M0, M1 Program Pause

16. M66 Wait on Input
    This seams to be a great way but it looks like you must tweak the HAL file a bit.

Of course this all would be a pain to edit every line of your code. Maybe there is a simpler way to do this, maybe to have a small application which will add or remove a pause which is placed after each line of your code, like a simple text editor. I could do that easily on a PC but in Linux I am clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    So I loaded PP today on another computer to play with and everything went smoothly (slightly surprise there)

Loaded an existing program to see what it looked like and noticed a couple of things.

When I double click into the gcode window, the line highlights, but when I tried to arrow down to the next line the machine jogs...... Didn't expect that.
    In mach, you could step through the code in the window and see the progress in the toolpath window. I found it was a good way to quickly verify a program and spot any potential weird moves. Don't seem to be able to do that anymore.

Also, as I ran the program (cutting air) it stopped at a certain point and rewound the program to the start. Once I figured to look over at the status tab it said there was a movement on a certain line that was going to exceed the axis limit. Great, actually a good thing to know, except that finding it out in the middle of the program was no better than actually hitting the limit switch.
    Is there no way of simulating the program run and having it figure this out prior to actually starting a part? Sort of related to stepping through the code above?

Just newb questions
    Thanks

I was actually looking for a way of simulating the program run rather than actually running. You could always set the single block on and it would require a cycle start to move through each line as it ran the program.

In Mach, you could click on the gcode window and then scroll up/down through the code using the arrow buttons while over on the display it would highlight the paths that each line made, This was without the machine moving or anything, sort of like back plotting.
    So if you looked at the program path and saw some random path that looked questionable you could arrow through the code until you found the line that made the path in question. yes to edit it you needed to actually open the code in an editor but you could easily find it.
    Also you could simulate the program run which would give an estimated time and show the xyz limts. If PP would do this it could find if it was going to go out of travel envelope before the program even started running

Seems like these should be there but I can't find them
    M

I run all my gcode through a simulator before I hit the mill. I am using the GWizzard Editor and like it a lot for getting rid of air cutting time that my CAM software loves to add for some odd reason. Also when you load a file in path pilot to run you will know immediately if you are going to exceed the axis limits because if you look at the ISO view the maximum/minimum travel numbers that are exceeded will be displayed on the screen in RED. I still have a machine running Mach 3 here (a 770) and I am slowly trying to identify the little things that I find as trade-offs. I will say that I have grown to really, really like PathPilot the more that I use it. Have fun as you get accustomed to it.

I use NC Corrector, free G-Code editor. to step through and visualize my tool paths. It's free and assumes millimeters but I don't mind.

I normally program in mastercam so the toolpaths are right there and the mill is not connected to the internet.
    This is just the observation that the display is right there, as the program runs it shows the paths the tool is taking so it can show the paths. If you could simply press the down arrow (or whatever) and it would go to the next line in the program it could easily show the path without having to leave PP.
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Chips View Post
    I use NC Corrector, free G-Code editor. to step through and visualize my tool paths. It's free and assumes millimeters but I don't mind.
    Thanks mate!!! The best emulator I have ever used. Cheers

Right click in the g-code window gives you a context menu that will display line numbers and syntax color highlighting.
    Same menu is available for touch screen users in the upper right 'hamburger' menu just to the right of the drop down list box of recently loaded g-code files.