585,581 active members*
3,887 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > BridgePort Series I CNC BOSS 9 / R2E4 Problems

BridgePort Series I CNC BOSS 9 / R2E4 Problems

One problem is that it boots up with a corruption in the program memory, but I can clear the program/macro and all is ok there.

If I try to bring of the FIST log, it comes up fine.

If I try to bring up the BOSS log, it comes up with corruption, list the corruption for a while then BOSS dies. If I have the 232 cable hooked to port A, it dumps some info there. This isn't a big deal either, if I just don't look at that log.

The real problem is downloading a program, I have been trying, and it keeps showing corrupt data there as well. The cable seems fine since I can communcate with the debugger on port a, but when I try downloading on port b, it stops instantly says 0 character sent, and stops. Sometimes with corrup data in for the program, usually with nothing though.

I'm assuming all my problems are with the BSP board in studying the manual, does anyone else agree. Should I remove all the chips, clean them and re-install them, some show sines of corrosion. I've removed the circuit boards, cleaned the connectors with circuit cleaner and an eraser.

Is it possible that I'm just missing something on the download to the machine, I'm starting and ending the code with a % sign on first and last lines. Sending at 4800,7,e,1 x-on/x-off, 1ms line delay, and I've checked the baud rate in the options from the front panel.

I have all the manuals, but none of the bridgeport software, if anyone can send me the bridgeport download programs I'd appreciate that.

In running some of the checks from the service manual, I have found several voltages out of wack, but given that most things work, I'm not sure what to make of it.

The 90volts from T1 is reads much higher, and the 24volt supply reads about 36. I can't really figure out why the transformers would put out the wrong voltages. ( I recently moved the machine from my house where it was running on a rotary phase converter to my shop where I have it hooked to 3-phase, prior to moving it it wasn't use for about the past 1.5 years. )

Can anyone help me figure this out.

--
    Granville Barker

Check the 4 AA batteries first.
    6 data bits, 2 stop bits, X on, X off enabled , no parity.
    Port B for EZLINK only.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I just replace the batteries so they are good. You say port B was for EZLINK only, but I am sure that's the port I was using before to load from bobcad/cam.

Any other ideas, I've got a few parts I want to cut, but I don't want to think about entereing the g-code from the front panel.

--
    Thanks,

Granville Barker

Can someone send me EZ-CAM II?

I wanted to see if it would talk to EZ-CAM II, that's the program that comes with the bridgeports isn't it?

My email is <my last name> at gobarker.com

--
    Thanks in advance...

Granville Barker

Sorry, 8 data bits.
    I purchased my BOSS 9 in 1986. I used a Radio Shack TRS80 Model 100 to edit programs through port A. I used a EZCAM based on the Apple Mac to transfer programs through port B using EZLINK.

Corruption of data is not good. It may be memory going bad. I do not think it is the EZIO board (bit maps the CRT and stored 16KB of program_trunkates the rest) as it displays some things correctly. Fist event log comes from the FMDC. I wonder where the BOSS event log comes from.

Bridgeport supported EZCAM. The rest were competitors and ignored.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It looks like Boss comes from the BSP board. I'll look at it agian to see what static ram chips I see on it. I've got a lot of old hardware around, I may be able to scrape up some more RAM chips for it.

I read the manual last night on using edit mode with port A, as I've never used that before. I'll give that a shot today to see if I can enter a program that way.

I only want to make 3 small parts, and if I hand-code it using the canned bridgeport profiling, boring, and drilling routines, I can probably get it down to a page of code. Too bad Bobcad doesn't generate code using those routines...

What do you think about the 36 volts on the 24 volt supply?

I need 1 servo for a Bridgeport R2E4 Cnc anyone have a spare?

Servo motor or drive? What is the part number on the one you have?

George

Model number 402cnsp0s72 powertron brand