My best man has been into 3D printing for year. He has a Prusa, and done really nice parts with it. He wanted something with a larger work envelope, and more rigid frame, so he took the Mendel90 design, learnt the software it was designed in, and changed basically everything. The result is the Wiener90.

Wiener90 - RepRapWiki

I hitched along for the ride, so whenever he printed parts for his, he generously printed an extra set for me.

He built his frame from 25mm MDF, which is easily available in the UK. I went round four different hardware stores here in Vienna, but only found 22mm. The advantage is that the hardware stores are all set up with big wall sized sheet cutters, and sell you whatever size pieces you need, and you don't have to buy whole or half sheets. I messed up the two uprights, and went back and bought 2x 500x169mm and paid €2,30. Expensive for MDF, but cheap considering it is perfectly square, with sharp edges and on size.

While both daughters are keen on the idea of a 3D printer, one got stuck in with laying out and drill the frame pieces.

We've now assembled the frame, bogged the edges and screw heads, sealed it with a coat of shellac, and undercoated it. Once that dries, I am allowed to paint it pink

Mark