585,722 active members*
4,607 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Turret Alignment

Hello! In the shop where I work we have a puma 400/L that seems to be cutting off center. Whenever we face a solid piece, the insert chips towards the center of the part. Also, trying to drill on this machine is a nightmare for the same reason. We now have some down time in the shop and I wanted to see if I could tackle fixing this issue as I believe it would be a good learning experience. I've aligned the chuck, tail stock, and steady rests before and I'm not afraid to get in there to get this done. However, from the look of the machine's diagrams in the manuals we have, there seems to be a whole lot of parts to a turret (of course!) and I don't feel comfortable taking the whole thing apart when I don't know exactly what I should be looking for in the first place. My question to the community is if there is any tutorials out there that you all know of that may be of help to me, or even some insight that you would care to share. I'm looking through youtube, but so far all I can find is videos of people sweeping the turret with indicators to show that it is indeed aligned in its x-axis. My understanding is that there is a pin between the turret and it's base that locks it in place once clamped, and if the turret is crashed enough times, this pin may bend and throw off the alignment. Does that sound right? What other solutions may there be for this problem? All help is welcomed, and thank you in advanced!

Re: Turret Alignment

Yes, there is taper pin inside the turret. If those pins arent damaged, you can try to fix it by yourself. Check the Doosan's book specification and maintenance one. Atleast mine has guide how to do the turret aignment. If you are in any doubt, contact Duroc or someone who has done it before and knows what to do. Sorry for my poor english!

Re: Turret Alignment