585,715 active members*
4,014 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Is my power supply the problem?

I am currently having an issue where it looks as if my laser is not pulsing on and off. When it cuts a vector file rather than stopping the laser from firing between letters, for example, the laser continually fires connecting each letter with a burn mark. When attempting to etch a raster file the laser moved back and fourth but continually fires, obviously not etching the details of the file rather just a large burn area.

The issue is not with the files as I tried this with many files i had successfully cut and etched prior and i also created new files that continued to have this issue.

About 2 weeks ago i replaced the power supply and it was working correctly, I am thinking this new one already has gone bad.

I am looking to order a power supply but want to make sure this is indeed the issue.

Thanks,
    -Greg

Re: Is my power supply the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Devoreg View Post
    I am currently having an issue where it looks as if my laser is not pulsing on and off. When it cuts a vector file rather than stopping the laser from firing between letters, for example, the laser continually fires connecting each letter with a burn mark. When attempting to etch a raster file the laser moved back and fourth but continually fires, obviously not etching the details of the file rather just a large burn area.

The issue is not with the files as I tried this with many files i had successfully cut and etched prior and i also created new files that continued to have this issue.

About 2 weeks ago i replaced the power supply and it was working correctly, I am thinking this new one already has gone bad.

I am looking to order a power supply but want to make sure this is indeed the issue.

Thanks,
    -Greg
    I had this problem too ... I had called in TL and was to be on the TH ... After making the switch it worked normally ...

Quote Originally Posted by rodrigomartins View Post
    I had this problem too ... I had called in TL and was to be on the TH ... After making the switch it worked normally ...
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe a foolish question but what is TL and TH and how would I go about changing this?

Thanks

TL and TH are input connections to the lasertube powersupply.

On one of both connections the lasertube powersupply gets its signal to switch the laser on/off
    One of them activates the laser if the signal is high (voltage on), the other activates the laser if the signal is low (voltage is off)

One of both (what one depends on the controller that connectes to it) has to be connected to the laser controller (on/off) putput.

But I'am not quite sure if this could be your problem, as if so, the laser would not be switchable in general, so in your case it would fire as soon as the power is switched on.
    If it is a hardware problem, then it could be the PWM input of the lasertube powersupply, so the controller is able to switch the laser on/off but is not able to controll the power.
    The PWM is a connection from the controller to the powersupply, together with the (on/off) signal (TL or TH) it controls the lasertube. (one for on/off switch, the other for the laserpower)

Best regards,
    Walter

Quote Originally Posted by Labmaster View Post
    TL and TH are input connections to the lasertube powersupply.

On one of both connections the lasertube powersupply gets its signal to switch the laser on/off
    One of them activates the laser if the signal is high (voltage on), the other activates the laser if the signal is low (voltage is off)

One of both (what one depends on the controller that connectes to it) has to be connected to the laser controller (on/off) putput.

But I'am not quite sure if this could be your problem, as if so, the laser would not be switchable in general, so in your case it would fire as soon as the power is switched on.
    If it is a hardware problem, then it could be the PWM input of the lasertube powersupply, so the controller is able to switch the laser on/off but is not able to controll the power.
    The PWM is a connection from the controller to the powersupply, together with the (on/off) signal (TL or TH) it controls the lasertube. (one for on/off switch, the other for the laserpower)

Best regards,
    Walter
    Take a picture of how it is done connecting the controller cables to the Power suply so we can see ....

Where ise this blue, brown and black cables connected on the other side ?

best regards,
    Walter